First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply National Pride?
637 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Wales
Offline
Posted 2/21/16 , edited 2/21/16
Basically how strongly connected do you feel to your own nationallity and consquently what is your nationality?

If you don't get what I mean, im asking do you like your culture, support local sports teams, believe in your countries ideals, proud of it's history, etc...

And is there anything you do not like?

I for one, am very proud to be Welsh. The sport (rugby espically), the landscape, the food and it's people! And the national anthem gives me the chills, to go along with our kick ass flag!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdLcbsZtvt8
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/21/16 , edited 2/21/16
I am a soldier mate, I did my time in the Middle East. Until you've fought, bled, and even killed for your country you have no real pride for it.
6132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/22/16 , edited 2/22/16
And here I am on the other side of the spectrum. I was born and raised in Canada, but don't feel a particular affection for it. It's a great place to live, no doubt. But my family's Scottish, and while we're certainly proud of our life in Canada, I know that pride in our clan is just as resonant. Case in point, I have a large Scottish flag and the family crest in my lobby. That said, there's five million people of Scottish descent in Canada, we've always been a part of this nation, even way back when it was a colony. I'm glad Canada continues to be part of the commonwealth.

The Welsh are pretty cool, partially because (like Scotland and unicorns) they didn't let the fact that dragons don't exist from dissuading them to make it their national animal.

And I don't consider military service a necessity for having pride in one's nation. There's plenty of ways to better your community that don't involve the armed forces. It's strange to see someone talk about killing for their nation as well, the soldiers that I've known have never alluded to it, and when I dated one it was a topic I knew never to ask about.
221 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Japan
Offline
Posted 2/22/16
my country is America and I don't have pride in it
Posted 2/22/16
I do love my country
48333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 2/24/16
I'm proud to have been born in Mexico and raised in the USA.
18092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F
Offline
Posted 2/24/16
Happy for all the people that love their country, I love mine but it sure has its issues.
Posted 2/24/16
I'm proud to be Puerto Rican ^_^
But America....not so much
Posted 2/24/16

Ranwolf wrote:

I am a soldier mate, I did my time in the Middle East. Until you've fought, bled, and even killed for your country you have no real pride for it.


Oh. You're one of those people
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/24/16 , edited 2/24/16

JaydraDawn wrote:



And I don't consider military service a necessity for having pride in one's nation. There's plenty of ways to better your community that don't involve the armed forces. It's strange to see someone talk about killing for their nation as well, the soldiers that I've known have never alluded to it, and when I dated one it was a topic I knew never to ask about.


Yeah it's not a popular discussion topic among any soldier. But I believe in being utterly honest with the world. I didn't go to Afghanistan as a Red Cross Worker, I didn't go there as a reporter, and I certainly did not go there as some PMC scum.

I was a pair of boots and a rifle on the ground. And let's be honest any fool let alone some with a grain of intelligence knows anyone wearing a uniform in a battlefield in a foreign country isn't there to take in the sights. I am not ashamed of doing what had to be done. I believed in the ideals of my country and hated the twisted and diseased philosophy of the camel jockeys enough to do what had to be done.

You can talk all you want about loving the country you live in but until you actually defend it's ideals with more then words and giving change to some homeless bum ya don't know what national pride is.


ignitingmemories wrote:


Oh. You're one of those people


And pray tell what exactly do you mean by that?
Posted 2/24/16
No pride
6132 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / F / Toronto, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/24/16 , edited 2/25/16

Ranwolf wrote:


ignitingmemories wrote:

Oh. You're one of those people


And pray tell what exactly do you mean by that?


It's pretty obvious. The military is a grim necessity, not a heroic act. I think we should have respect for our servicemen and women, but the idea that they are selfless defenders of freedom is the wrong way of looking at it. The fact is that we live in a dangerous world, and we employ people to further our nation's interests through force, but that doesn't change the fact that we physically and mentally condition people to take human lives. The people who choose to go into that line of work should have the respect of a professional, but we can't romanticize what the military is, or else we risk becoming complacent with the fact that people are put at risk, that people are seriously injured and/ or killed, and there's something deeply f-ed about a reality which demands that.

I'm reminded of what things were like on the onset of the first world war. Thousands of young men, with dreams of glory, signed up to fight on the German front-lines, and were met with one of the most hellish products of human conflict that civilization had ever known. There's also the fact that many people join the military because they legitimately have no other options. The military is a good employer, providing job training, education, room and board, but for many people that's their only option at a decent life; it shouldn't have to be.

I refuse to believe that the only way you can love your nation is through military service. What is the purpose of living in a free society, one that many have fought for, if it isn't to be enjoyed? I refuse to believe that every soldier is deserving of more accolades and pride than all the civilians who work to make their country better. Millions of men and women across Canada work within their communities to improve people's lives.

Case in point, my mother is a minister. She's never shot anyone (human, at least- she's one helluva markswoman), but leads a church that provides literally hundreds of free meals to needy folks every week. She counsels people in need, and preaches acceptance and love every Sunday; she begins every sermon with "Whoever you are, wherever you're from, whatever you believe, you are welcome here." I've seen the good she does, and she's not alone. She has a right to take pride in her nation and community, and has done so much to further and protect Canada's values and society. Again, she's not alone, and that's but one way someone contributes to the nation they love.

It takes more than soldiers to build a nation. Thus, I respectfully disagree with your position, Ranwolf.
17230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Croatia
Offline
Posted 2/24/16
I'm rather ashamed of my people. They're still living in the 20th century, it seems.
90 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Scotland
Offline
Posted 2/24/16
My nation is Scotland, but my country is the UK. I have pride in being Scottish(although, I'm still needing to learn Gaelic as it's a beautiful language but the English beat it out of us in the 1800's), but I have no pride in being British. I think it's unfair to say that until you've bled for your country you have no real pride in it, it's possible to have real pride for your country without bleeding for it as everyone is different. Would you say Ghandi had no pride in India, in fact would you say no Indian has pride for their country? Not every country wants to fight.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/24/16

JaydraDawn wrote:





I refuse to believe that the only way you can love your nation is through military service. What is the purpose of living in a free society, one that many have fought for, if it isn't to be enjoyed? I refuse to believe that every soldier is deserving of more accolades and pride than all the civilians who work to make their country better. Millions of men and women across Canada work within their communities to improve people's lives.

Case in point, my mother is a minister. She's never shot anyone (human, at least- she's one helluva markswoman), but leads a church that provides literally hundreds of free meals to needy folks every week. She counsels people in need, and preaches acceptance and love every Sunday; she begins every sermon with "Whoever you are, wherever you're from, whatever you believe, you are welcome here." I've seen the good she does, and she's not alone. She has a right to take pride in her nation and community, and has done so much to further and protect Canada's values and society. Again, she's not alone, and that's but one way someone contributes to the nation they love.

It takes more than soldiers to build a nation. Thus, I respectfully disagree with your position, Ranwolf.


And I am going to have disagree with yours. If even half of what you say was true the world would be sunshine and rainbows. Instead me and my brothers and sisters in arms keep having to pay the butcher bills in places we can't even pronounce let alone spell.

Though I do have to agree there is something messed up about a world where I and countless others have to get blood on hands to keep this ole rock spinning. But the root of that problem is not with people who think like me mate. That is solely the fault of these so called millions and millions of people failing at their jobs, at finding something better then apathy and ignorance of what the rest of the world is really like.

For the most part the 1st world is a democratic one. Meaning it's citizens can change how they are governed, the path their country takes and the way it interacts with other nations. But for the large part they don't, they don't vote, they certainly don't influence the polices their governments make nor the way they handle international relationships.

And because of that I have no faith in anyone not in a uniform. They have never changed anything on a scale large enough to matter. Civilians are too wrapped up in their own local and frankly petty squabbles to see the world around them is not a very nice place. And that there are plenty of things out there that would gladly see them burn. Precisely because they have shown no compassion nor ease the burdens their own short sighted governments have inflicted upon them.

And because of that soldiers are the only thing making a change. Bloody and ultimately short lived change but change nonetheless. Something that they can be somewhat proud of.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.