First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Brown (University) students voice distress over the strain schoolwork puts on activism activities
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/22/16 , edited 2/23/16

maxgale wrote:

THE FUTURE LEADERS OF THE FREE WORLD FOLKS.


Complain about it all you please (and sometimes I'd join you considering some of the things I've read, trolling or not), but it's the truth. Now, I could (and genuinely, I could) offer a furious, frustrated, agitated response to your objection. Many paragraphs, much rage. You've seen me do it, and I could do it again. I have never, ever been shy about picking a fight with you when I felt it warranted, you would agree? I am honest if nothing else, yes? As I have said on at least one occasion, that red star isn't merely for decoration, after all. But to what would it amount? Nothing. You and I view law, society, and even human nature fundamentally differently. Let's focus, instead, on what we might agree upon so as to make the cards at least a bit more interesting. Therein lies the more constructive dialogue, methinks. We're not so different in terms of social (if not, and I guarantee not, economic and foreign) policy. So let's focus upon the areas where we are at least proven remotely similar.

Here, then, are the initial probes I put forward as regards to this particular topic:

1. These students have, despite their best intentions, an imbalanced work-life...balance...and so need to come to terms with the fact that professional obligations exceed political aims. Otherwise, they must find a way to obtain honest (that is, honest) livelihoods in political activism. That is, not activism for its own sake, but rather where it is needed and they'll accept whatever crumbs that may offer. Dr. King and President Lincoln took bullets to the head for their beliefs. That is the life of an activist, and if one truly wishes to advance a cause nothing less is to be expected.

2. Students involved in political participation are generally a positive thing even if priorities need to be adjusted to account for the realities of professional life. One may not be able to pull off living an Occupy Wall Street or Tea Party protester's life on a regular basis, but at least one bloody tries no matter where one leans. Incidentally (and no surprise) I lean toward the OWS movement even if I have many, many criticisms thereof and consider them to have (generally speaking) squandered their opportunity.

Ultimately, the students are to be students first and activists second. They are, whether through loans (which I consider to be an abomination), scholarships (which I consider inefficient), grants (which I consider too minimal), or the goodwill of their families (which I consider to be all too rare and impractical) attending tertiary institutions in the US for professional training stuck in a system that legitimately does not give a shit about their plight, and they must account their plans accordingly. Activism is, for better or worse, something to be taken up in one's middle age in the US instead of one's young adulthood due to the realities of the existing system in the US even if passions run hotter in the former.

I have, statistically, beaten the grants and loans based system the US uses to fund tertiary education over the head and shown it to be folly, a fool's errand, before. I will cite these posts again if it pleases you. But that's a topic for another day (though trust me, if it's a fight you want to have I have done my research). Simply put, these students must, under the existing system (for better or ill, and I'd argue definitely ill) consider themselves to be apprentices in very strict programmes. And they'd better be getting good advice at all steps in the process if they hope to succeed maximally, and God help them if they have a mental disorder (I didn't, and did respectively).
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/23/16
I glazed over halfway through the article
11768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 2/23/16
Last I checked, they weren't putting thousands of dollars of loans into being activists. Classes on the other hand...

Hell, I might as well go complain about how I had to drop out of college because I was playing video games instead of going to class. "How do you expect me to go to class when I have to reach platinum rank?!?! I'm gonna have panic attacks if I have to do both!"
35017 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 2/23/16 , edited 2/23/16

Southern55 wrote:

Last I checked, they weren't putting thousands of dollars of loans into being activists. Classes on the other hand...

Hell, I might as well go complain about how I had to drop out of college because I was playing video games instead of going to class. "How do you expect me to go to class when I have to reach platinum rank?!?! I'm gonna have panic attacks if I have to do both!"


I will be as kind as I can. What is your relevance, apart from what not to do, for readers? Please read my tone as such. I genuinely do not understand, saving for a cautionary tale and as an example of the existing US system's failure, what you're trying to convey. Please do not take this as malicious. I seek a sincere understanding of your point.
97968 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
68 / M / Columbia, MO
Online
Posted 2/23/16
^ Your points were well reasoned and insightful, BlueOni. Well said. Tip o' the hat to you.
Posted 2/23/16 , edited 2/23/16
I'll be honest, I think there's more value in activism than in the modern college education in some ways.


Let's be honest, students I observed at nearly all levels of a selective school try to be the "best" person they can be by having an unreal workload. They encouraged this from the start, especially if your high school was a magnet or in some ways selective. You ARE EXPECTED to participate in school activities if you wanted to get in a good college, and expected to make good grades alongside that. This follows in college, where alongside the ability to drive, drives people to extend their workload so they'll have cushy jobs and whatnot. The problem is, these students are workaholics. They've been bred to be workaholics since their elementary school ended.


It is essentially a good thing to be political active, though I"ll take a drink on the cynic's gauntlet and say half of them aren't doing it out of good will, but that's just me. Realize that in their eyes its necessary for them to have such a workload. They're the type to get agitated when there's no work to be done. And essentially they're the type to stress out when they feel they haven't accomplish enough versus what they've already did.
16406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / east coast. Let t...
Offline
Posted 2/23/16
If you aren't obligated to do something and you receive constant stress and pain from doing something shouldn't you just..... I don't know, stop.
This is academically hurting you.
It reminds me of when I was in school and students didn't do any work and got mad at the big bad teachers for failing them.
Just stop. You are paying to be in college, a luxury I don't have and you waste it. Shame on you. What are you gonna tell your kids who are starving. "oh mommy can't feed you tonight because she has to go protest injustice"
16741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 2/23/16

dotsforlife wrote:

Ah, kids these days. I remember when I had my priorities messed up too.

No but really, focus on classes and maybe they won't end up at a dead end job down the road.


It's a conspiracy of the rich and business owners! I deserve to earn $20/hour flipping burgers! Tax the fat cats redistribute wealth so I don't feel so bad about my life's choices!
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/23/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I'll be honest, I think there's more value in activism than in the modern college education in some ways.


Let's be honest, students I observed at nearly all levels of a selective school try to be the "best" person they can be by having an unreal workload. They encouraged this from the start, especially if your high school was a magnet or in some ways selective. You ARE EXPECTED to participate in school activities if you wanted to get in a good college, and expected to make good grades alongside that. This follows in college, where alongside the ability to drive, drives people to extend their workload so they'll have cushy jobs and whatnot. The problem is, these students are workaholics. They've been bred to be workaholics since their elementary school ended.


It is essentially a good thing to be political active, though I"ll take a drink on the cynic's gauntlet and say half of them aren't doing it out of good will, but that's just me. Realize that in their eyes its necessary for them to have such a workload. They're the type to get agitated when there's no work to be done. And essentially they're the type to stress out when they feel they haven't accomplish enough versus what they've already did.


In some ways, maybe. Let's be real though kiddo, activism isn't going to provide for you like education will. Which is why you go to school... If kids can't handle the load they need to prioritize properly then.
Posted 2/23/16

dotsforlife wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I'll be honest, I think there's more value in activism than in the modern college education in some ways.


Let's be honest, students I observed at nearly all levels of a selective school try to be the "best" person they can be by having an unreal workload. They encouraged this from the start, especially if your high school was a magnet or in some ways selective. You ARE EXPECTED to participate in school activities if you wanted to get in a good college, and expected to make good grades alongside that. This follows in college, where alongside the ability to drive, drives people to extend their workload so they'll have cushy jobs and whatnot. The problem is, these students are workaholics. They've been bred to be workaholics since their elementary school ended.


It is essentially a good thing to be political active, though I"ll take a drink on the cynic's gauntlet and say half of them aren't doing it out of good will, but that's just me. Realize that in their eyes its necessary for them to have such a workload. They're the type to get agitated when there's no work to be done. And essentially they're the type to stress out when they feel they haven't accomplish enough versus what they've already did.


In some ways, maybe. Let's be real though kiddo, activism isn't going to provide for you like education will. Which is why you go to school... If kids can't handle the load they need to prioritize properly then.


Don't call me kiddo. I speak from interaction with these students. They don't prioritize their lives enough if ya ask me.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/23/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I'll be honest, I think there's more value in activism than in the modern college education in some ways.


Let's be honest, students I observed at nearly all levels of a selective school try to be the "best" person they can be by having an unreal workload. They encouraged this from the start, especially if your high school was a magnet or in some ways selective. You ARE EXPECTED to participate in school activities if you wanted to get in a good college, and expected to make good grades alongside that. This follows in college, where alongside the ability to drive, drives people to extend their workload so they'll have cushy jobs and whatnot. The problem is, these students are workaholics. They've been bred to be workaholics since their elementary school ended.


It is essentially a good thing to be political active, though I"ll take a drink on the cynic's gauntlet and say half of them aren't doing it out of good will, but that's just me. Realize that in their eyes its necessary for them to have such a workload. They're the type to get agitated when there's no work to be done. And essentially they're the type to stress out when they feel they haven't accomplish enough versus what they've already did.


In some ways, maybe. Let's be real though kiddo, activism isn't going to provide for you like education will. Which is why you go to school... If kids can't handle the load they need to prioritize properly then.


Don't call me kiddo. I speak from interaction with these students. They don't prioritize their lives enough if ya ask me.


Obviously they don't if they're not worrying about classes more.
13508 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Second star on th...
Offline
Posted 2/23/16
I don't even feel bad these little assholes will have a crap load of student debt when they graduate
Humms 
10537 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Online
Posted 2/23/16
So let me get this straight. They want students to become activists so it can make the excuse of mental health, and physical demand.

So basically they want to make the excuse for being a voice for truth just so they can not do their studies, yeah, no, I think I have read all I need to know. Why are you going to university in the first place. Kids today, so desensitized by media that they would rather become activists than actually do something productive. Fuckin kony 2012 my friends.
28216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/23/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
I'll be honest, I think there's more value in activism than in the modern college education in some ways.


The value of a post secondary education has been depreciating at an alarming rate in recent years. Yet the cost of said education continues to increase. Having a degree is no guarantee of employment anymore. Yet students are told if they just get a degree they'll have their dream job and everything will be unicorns and rainbows.

Then you end up flipping burgers despite holding two degrees. Because there simply aren't jobs available in your field of study.



28216 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/23/16 , edited 2/23/16

Humms wrote:
Kids today, so desensitized by media that they would rather become activists than actually do something productive.


Dude, you're the same age as Justice Gaines(tm). >.>
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.