First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply 9 stabbed at Dunbarton High School in Pickering, girl, 14, arrested
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

runec wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:
Semantics mate , mere semantics. They put their lives on the line to do a job they volunteered for, are sometimes disrespected, and undergo a training not all that dissimilar to what I did . They are worth the same respect as any one wearing dog tags and are thus soldiers in all but name mate.


I'm mainly objecting to the idea that the RCMP are militarized in any way like American police. Though I understand thats not what you're saying. I don't like calling them soldiers. We're a peacekeeping nation.




And that notion is why the CAF will eventually have to let Canada become the 51st state if World War 3 ever breaks out. None of my countrymen have any desire to become a nation capable of protecting itself because we still have this inane desire to appear the friendly Peacekeeper types. The olive branch is nice mate but ya need a sword to fall back on if it fails.

But I think I've gone off topic far too much here so we'll just have to agree to disagree.
28192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

Ranwolf wrote:
And that notion is why the CAF will eventually have to let Canada become the 51st state if World War 3 ever breaks out. None of my countrymen have any desire to become a nation capable of protecting itself because we still have this inane desire to appear the friendly Peacekeeper types. The olive branch is nice mate but ya need a sword to fall back on if it fails.


Eh, I find that doubtful. Given our military history and our consistent ability to punch above our weight class. That said, if the US ever lost its mind and rolled over on us there wouldn't be shit we could do regardless of what you say. We just don't have the population, economic power or military capabilities to defend the longest border in the world against the US. Nor does anyone else. We could all enlist tomorrow and it wouldn't matter.

Sure, we would turn it into a guerrilla quagmire something quick. It would be functionally impossible for the US to secure a country of our size with so much favourable terrain. But it would also be functionally impossible for us to fight the US toe to toe. It'd just turn into another protracted insurgency mess for the US till they gave up, took Toronto and left.

And I am totally okay with them taking Toronto. ;p

But yes, we are on a weird detour here.
18092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F
Offline
Posted 2/25/16
Awful
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/25/16 , edited 2/25/16

runec wrote:

Eh, I find that doubtful. Given our military history and our consistent ability to punch above our weight class. That said, if the US ever lost its mind and rolled over on us there wouldn't be shit we could do regardless of what you say. We just don't have the population, economic power or military capabilities to defend the longest border in the world against the US. Nor does anyone else. We could all enlist tomorrow and it wouldn't matter.

Sure, we would turn it into a guerrilla quagmire something quick. It would be functionally impossible for the US to secure a country of our size with so much favourable terrain. But it would also be functionally impossible for us to fight the US toe to toe. It'd just turn into another protracted insurgency mess for the US till they gave up, took Toronto and left.

And I am totally okay with them taking Toronto. ;p

But yes, we are on a weird detour here.


I'll just say this in parting, the U.S started out as thirteen low population colonies who just emerged from a bloody and costly war with it's Colonial power. Flash forward a couple of centuries and they are now one of the largest military powers in the world. No reason Canada can't do the same. We have the same land mass and raw resources. Not to mention a much higher population base then the original thirteen colonies did.
28192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

Ranwolf wrote:
I'll just say this in parting, the U.S started out as thirteen low population colonies who just emerged from a bloody and costly war with it's Colonial power. Flash forward a couple of centuries and they are now one of the largest military powers in the world. No reason Canada can't do the same. We have the same land mass and raw resources. Not to mention a much higher population base then the original thirteen colonies did.


Well, sure, if we had a couple centuries. But what would be the point? We're post industrialization now so we're not going to have the same birth rates to begin with. And we don't need the sort of military power the US has. The main thing we need is to expand our naval power for the thawing arctic circle. Which we are doing and should continue to do.

I'm fine with reasonable sovereignty power, but we don't need projection power like the US. We're not exactly imperialistic.

Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

runec wrote:



I'm fine with reasonable sovereignty power, but we don't need projection power like the US. We're not exactly imperialistic.



But protecting our borders isn't the idea though. The United Nations was originally founded in order to create an international force strong enough to stop another mad man from gaining the power to start another world war..Though swift and crushing use of military force if need be. It slowly had it's fangs pulled out over the years and look where that lead.

We know have two countries sitting on enough firepower, manpower, and resources to level the planet if they so should choose. Both of which hate the living hell out each other and are for the moment stopped only by mere pragmatism. And you can't count on that shit to keep being the status quo forever. One side or both are eventually going to say screw it. And that'll be the end of us as a Nation. Cause I don't like our geographically location in relation to the US and China. Not to mention Alaska is right up there and you know US warships and whatnot are going to want to protect that interest up north, which might mean at the very least the annexing or occupation of the west coast
28192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

Ranwolf wrote:
We know have two countries sitting on enough firepower, manpower, and resources to level the planet if they so should choose. Both of which hate the living hell out each other and are for the moment stopped only by mere pragmatism. And you can't count on that shit to keep being the status quo forever.


More than two! :D

And they don't hate the living hell out of each other. I'm also not sure what you mean by geography. Its a shorter trip to just cross the pacific to the US from China then to head north. And Russia is not going to let anyone march troops through it and set up naval bases in the arctic.

Or are you actually thinking of Russia, not China?
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

runec wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:
We know have two countries sitting on enough firepower, manpower, and resources to level the planet if they so should choose. Both of which hate the living hell out each other and are for the moment stopped only by mere pragmatism. And you can't count on that shit to keep being the status quo forever.


More than two! :D

And they don't hate the living hell out of each other. I'm also not sure what you mean by geography. Its a shorter trip to just cross the pacific to the US from China then to head north. And Russia is not going to let anyone march troops through it and set up naval bases in the arctic.

Or are you actually thinking of Russia, not China?


Yes it is a shorter trip but why attack from one direction when there two convenient ways to attack your enemy. And Russia would in all likelihood allow Chinese troops to march through it's borders and use Siberia as a launching point for a campaign into Alaska, down the coast and into US proper. hell they might actually contribute troops and resources to help the Chinese. After all Russia and China have a long history of cooperation And the Russians have never once since the Czarist lost control of them have shown the slightest inclination to actually liking the West . Or do you think all the Russian equipment and tactics the camel jockey's use against us is a mere coincidence.
20706 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Online
Posted 2/25/16
This is just awful...i hope she is tried but if its true she is mentally ill i hope that is taken into consideration.

I know how it is to be mentally ill i mean shit i attacked my parents with knives before due to me snapping and my mental health being very bad.
Mental illness can make even the nicest person go insane and kill others and enjoy it which is sad...she needs to face charges for what she is done and get some help.

Luckily no one was killed and she might be able to go past this and live a normal life i hope she gets the help she needs and deserves but i also hope she faces the charges she deserves
3116 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/25/16
irl Yuno????
VeggyZ 
2624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / North Dakota
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

Freddy96NO wrote:

Yeah girls love knifes and boys love guns -__- atleast when its talked about thats more or less many feel about it dunno if its that true?

So all the attackers was young and from where or in what group was this a planned attack with multiple people?

VeggyZ wrote: I am so sick of reading about shit like this. Seriously, do kids not have anything better to do now? Fucking christ.

My peers thought it was funny to endlessly try to convince me to kill myself.
and to bring a weapon to teach some bullies a lesson - these kids don't even target someone like that. They just randomly start hurting people?
something better to do, and do you say many kids are like this? -__-
Depression may come more along the future, some because they don't know what to value or take care of (like before there was more threats to be AWARE of like cold, food, housing, knowing etc) as well with relationship's.
These kids maybe not have had the things to make them value life, and there could be much behind it as well, as we should know children could have had more problems then many adults as well... in how being treated, forced, abused, used in many ways etc.



I wasn't actually implying that there are a lot of kids responsible for things like this, just that the shift in morals in today's society is apparent almost everywhere you look and it's culminating into all this shit we see on the news now. I single out kids because it's happening in high schools. It doesn't surprise me either, I fully understand why a kid might want to get violent with another, because I definitely wanted to hurt some people back then - but the people I wanted to hurt were the guilty parties that hurt me in the first place.

The dots are not connecting for me - I literally can not comprehend why someone would ever get the urge to just start hurting people who never did anything to them. Is it a reaction to the bullying? Bullshit, I call complete bullshit.

Maybe I am not forgiving enough, but I've been diagnosed with a multitude of social disorders (manic-depressive BP, PTSD, social anxiety / general panic anxiety, among a few other less prominent things) and most of my problems now stem from treatment back in school (in tandem with some medications I didn't need). I know bullying can be bad, it can be terrible, and life-ruining, and I would never debate that, but no matter what is done to someone it doesn't justify trying to take innocent lives. I also get that mental issues are different for every single person on earth because our perception is also very different from one another - but all she does is goes from being a victim of bullying to someone FAR worse than those bullies. Beautiful. She's lucky she didn't kill anyone.

I don't like the "Oh but maybe she -" arguments, because nothing she was maybe feeling at the time justifies what she did. "Maybe she didn't know better because life" is something I will never accept. She knew better, she DEFINITELY knew better because she was growing up in a Canadian suburb.
28192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

Ranwolf wrote:
Yes it is a shorter trip but why attack from one direction when there two convenient ways to attack your enemy. And Russia would in all likelihood allow Chinese troops to march through it's borders and use Siberia as a launching point for a campaign into Alaska, down the coast and into US proper. hell they might actually contribute troops and resources to help the Chinese. After all Russia and China have a long history of cooperation And the Russians have never once since the Czarist lost control of them have shown the slightest inclination to actually liking the West . Or do you think all the Russian equipment and tactics the camel jockey's use against us is a mere coincidence.


I would not call crossing Russia then the arctic then Canada convenient. That is one hell of a trip through some seriously unforgiving terrain. We're talking several thousand kilometers just to reach Canada alone and still trying to arrive in any sort of fighting condition. Even attempting a landfall to Alaska is several thousand kilometers. It just isn't sensible to attempt a marched land war across half the globe. The time and resources it would take. Plus the causalities you would suffer just trying to cross water to make landfall with any significant amount of troops. It would be a meat grinder to put it mildly. Never mind if your troop movements came anywhere near the coast to begin with on the way there.

Russia isn't going to chip in. They don't have a long history of co-operation, quite the opposite. They almost nuked each other in the 60s. Their good relations these days are a post USSR development. And while their relations are good, Putin ain't letting anyone into his party no matter how much he likes them. And China's economic ties to Russia pale in comparison to its economic ties to the west.

As for the equipment, that shit has been kicking around for decades.

And "camel jockey"? Really dude? -.-
28192 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

VeggyZ wrote:
I wasn't actually implying that there are a lot of kids responsible for things like this, just that the shift in morals in today's society is apparent almost everywhere you look and it's culminating into all this shit we see on the news now.


Right, every generation has said this about the next generation since the dawn of time. It was BS the last time, it was BS the time before that and its BS now. The only thing that has changed is the news itself and the 24 hour news cycle. Not the frequency of violence. That has actually been on the decline for decades..



VeggyZ wrote:
I don't like the "Oh but maybe she -" arguments, because nothing she was maybe feeling at the time justifies what she did. "Maybe she didn't know better because life" is something I will never accept. She knew better, she DEFINITELY knew better because she was growing up in a Canadian suburb.


Growing up in a Canadian suburb does not insulate you from mental illness, bullying, bad home life, etc. You can't apply a reasonable person standard to someone who is by definition, not reasonable.
VeggyZ 
2624 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / North Dakota
Offline
Posted 2/25/16 , edited 2/25/16

runec wrote:


VeggyZ wrote:
I wasn't actually implying that there are a lot of kids responsible for things like this, just that the shift in morals in today's society is apparent almost everywhere you look and it's culminating into all this shit we see on the news now.


Right, every generation has said this about the next generation since the dawn of time. It was BS the last time, it was BS the time before that and its BS now. The only thing that has changed is the news itself and the 24 hour news cycle. Not the frequency of violence. That has actually been on the decline for decades..



VeggyZ wrote:
I don't like the "Oh but maybe she -" arguments, because nothing she was maybe feeling at the time justifies what she did. "Maybe she didn't know better because life" is something I will never accept. She knew better, she DEFINITELY knew better because she was growing up in a Canadian suburb.


Growing up in a Canadian suburb does not insulate you from mental illness, bullying, bad home life, etc. You can't apply a reasonable person standard to someone who is by definition, not reasonable.


What I'm saying is these mental illnesses are being used as excuses, and that excuse isn't good enough for me, because I can relate to those illnesses and it offends me when people use them as a crutch. I wasn't implying it shields you from mental illnesses, but that she grew up around the exact same moral values that everyone else around her grew up with, family differences notwithstanding - using an excuse like that as justification is INSANE.

And violence is not on the decline. I've personally seen a drastic change in my hometown - when I was growing up here, you didn't hear about guns being pulled in a fight, and shit like that. Now, it's in the newspaper frequently, and it isn't even bad here. Violence EVERYWHERE is on the rise, the publicity just makes it worse. I am aware school shootings / etc have been happening for a very long time, but with all the news coverage comes the copycats. I do not personally think the generation after me is stupid - I think they are better at using technology and better at video games, and most other things than I am, and I'm ok with that.

But the easier life gets its seems the crazier people get. Apparently people can't "handle" a peaceful lifestyle for very long. It feels like something breaks in people when they have it too easy. <---pay attention to this last line, as it's evident in all aspects of modern life. I've seen people go downhill, BAD, when they let down their guard a little bit and have too much handed to them.. like my last 3 landlords (lol =( )
33051 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 2/25/16 , edited 2/25/16

runec wrote:


Somewhat_Insane_Monkey wrote:
Now it's fixed for the future when guns and knives are gone.


If Fallout has taught me anything its that the post apocalypse is going to have a huge problem with baseball bats and pool cues. So we should get on those.


Ooo and plastic bags as well, people can suffocate one another with those. While we are at it we need to ban tools, bleach, teeth, rocks, banjos, needles, sporks, forks, cars, trees (can't have people make things to kill each other with) ... that list will never end
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.