First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply How do you handle being poor...
Posted 2/25/16
I've never been at poverty level. I don't know how I'd handle it.
632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 2/25/16
Ramen for food and watching anime/reading manga's at library's, and all games from the pawn shop and cheap clothes from good will is what I had to do. Oh and coupons are your friend! All the coupons! My family called me the coupon queen lol
4280 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
15 / M / The Shire, England
Offline
Posted 2/25/16
Easy...don't be a selfish materialistic git
runec 
28298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/25/16 , edited 2/25/16
It is a very difficult thing to handle and it has lifelong effects. Especially if you grow up poor.

I grew up poor, have been poor, have lived the paycheque to paycheque thing, have lived comfortably, and have gone back down to being poor. It fucks you up health wise. Its a level of constant, ever present stress you can never get rid of that affects your physical and mental health.

The Bootstraps(tm) theory doesn't hold water in the modern world. Might have worked 30 or 40 years ago. But the reality of the situation is quite different nowadays.

If I was American I simply would have killed myself years ago. But I live in a country with a social net and free health care so I haven't quite slit my wrists yet. -.-



Ranwolf wrote:
I donna know, there is always some kind of manual work to be done..The army's always hiring and as long as you managed to pass the 10th grade in high school and can run like 5k without dying of a heart attack they'll take you. And the pay is pretty good to start with and only gets better the more qualifications and promotions ya earn . And promotions aren't soul crushingly hard to earn either.


I assume you're speaking of the Canadian armed forces though. The reality may be different in the US. Plus we're not currently at war.
37409 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

TheHat64 wrote:

I found that selling organs is a great way to make some extra cash, especially if they're not yours.


Anyone interested? I'll give ya a good price....



I'll even through in the plumbing for free!



Rats!




Hurry up and make you your mind! Do you want it or not?
82334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 2/25/16 , edited 2/25/16

VividDreamZ wrote:

Debt collectors called the house, and my neighbors in attempt to contact me. I had to determine which bills were priority to pay first. Even getting to a job interview was a crisis. Cheap Ramen noodles were breakfast, lunch and dinner for me.



Other than the job interview part (I had a job), I've been there as well. Fortunately, I didn't have to eat nothing but cheap ramen (bought around 40 dry ramen packs for $6, on sale at the time) for more than a couple/few months. Caused the situation myself, by overextending my finances, though. Ended up going into my work and telling my employers I wanted a raise, even told them what amount I wanted, which was over a 50% raise. They said they'd think about it and later gave me the raise, which helped immensely in getting out of the situation. I would have gotten out anyway, but it would have taken longer. They didn't really have much choice in the matter though, even the amount I requested was still highly undervaluing my work, and my leaving would have been very hard on the place.
2606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Whale Island
Offline
Posted 2/25/16
I work full time I'm not poor so there for i can afford the things in life that make me happy.
Sogno- 
45726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

DeadlyOats wrote:


52infinity wrote

How do you handle being poor?


One paycheck at a time.


basically
82334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

runec wrote:

If I was American I simply would have killed myself years ago. But I live in a country with a social net and free health care so I haven't quite slit my wrists yet. -.-



Meh, in America you can go from poor to fairly well off in a pretty short amount of time. I had no tertiary education, but in 16 years I've gone from working minimum wage to making a rather good margin more with a single salary than the average US family salary.

You can also go from fairly well off to poor rather quickly as well, if you don't manage your money well.
runec 
28298 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/25/16

ishe5555 wrote:
Meh, in America you can go from poor to fairly well off in a pretty short amount of time. I had no tertiary education, but in 16 years I've gone from working minimum wage to making a rather good margin more with a single salary than the average US family salary.


The state and growth of wealth inequality and continued generational poverty would seem to say otherwise. Just because you can doesn't mean everyone can.



ishe5555 wrote:
You can also go from fairly well off to poor rather quickly as well, if you don't manage your money well.


Or get hurt or sick through no fault of your own. -.-
4583 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Decemberunderground
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

ZavinRoyalheart wrote:


Kerst wrote:

I laugh at people more poor than me and call them peasants.


Remember when we could look at others and see we were better off. Well, time to find a mirror.


Remember when?
I still do.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

ishe5555 wrote:


runec wrote:

If I was American I simply would have killed myself years ago. But I live in a country with a social net and free health care so I haven't quite slit my wrists yet. -.-



Meh, in America you can go from poor to fairly well off in a pretty short amount of time. I had no tertiary education, but in 16 years I've gone from working minimum wage to making a rather good margin more with a single salary than the average US family salary.

You can also go from fairly well off to poor rather quickly as well, if you don't manage your money well.

I've gone from minimum wage to making more than the median family income.

One day I may even have my debts paid off.
In another twenty years. Until then, money remains tight.

22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/25/16
I haven't been poor myself and never will be.

Only thing I have to deal with is worrying about someone that has next to nothin'

82334 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
38 / M
Offline
Posted 2/25/16 , edited 2/25/16

Dariamus wrote:

I've gone from minimum wage to making more than the median family income.

One day I may even have my debts paid off.
In another twenty years. Until then, money remains tight.



I had all my debts paid off, but just took on a 30 year mortgage. Hope to have it paid off in less than 15, though. I should be able to, but had to re-adjust my lifestyle and tighten my budget considerably. No longer eating out every day, that's for sure.
6073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/25/16

Nasirei wrote:

I'm poor, sorry.


What is with these drastic changes in your life. You reverse age and now you went from rich to poor. Never trust genies.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.