First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Would you give your kid a name that is the opposite of their gender?
Posted 2/26/16
Depends. I might pull a Seishirou Tsugumi and name my tomboy a male's name, or better yet, my female looking boy a girl's name.
2301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
My real name can be used for either a boy or girl and it is a Spanish name or based on a Spanish name (just spelled a bit different - Americanized version of a Spanish name I guess). Honestly I always hated my name as a child so NO I would not name my boy after a girl. I really guess it would also depend on the name and whoever would be dumb enough to have my kid lol. But left up to me I'd have to give him a cool name like HunterX or Dirk Dark or something. Honestly I always wanted to have a boy and name him Homer since my last name rhymes with Simpson. Doht!
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:

My real name can be used for either a boy or girl and it is a Spanish name or based on a Spanish name (just spelled a bit different - Americanized version of a Spanish name I guess). Honestly I always hated my name as a child so NO I would not name my boy after a girl. I really guess it would also depend on the name and whoever would be dumb enough to have my kid lol. But left up to me I'd have to give him a cool name like HunterX or Dirk Dark or something. Honestly I always wanted to have a boy and name him Homer since my last name rhymes with Simpson. Doht!


OK, that seem fair. Got a question where that profile pic from? While I don't think your kid gender should matter in naming your kid. I remember seeing on the news a guy named poop. Again fuck what other people think but that one is something else. I will like to give you a link to that but that was years ago. Though according to this site 1,611 people have the name poop as their first name. http://howmanyofme.com/search/ I cannot prove if this site is trustworthy, though.
Dutch Moderator
30797 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / The Netherlands
Online
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

KarenAraragi wrote:

Well isn't that bloody awesome? Short version. Not doing something because it may put your kid through hell or something is just a stupid excuse. Fuck other people opinions. Fuck what some people think is a bum name. Your name is only bad if you think is bad. If you think your name is good then is good. You can choice to be proud of your name or be ashamed of it. But only you can make that decision. Translation grow a thick skin. I don't know where you are from that people will make fun of somebody name but where I live. Male students wear pink has a uniform. Hell, some of the boy going to school here wear skirts.


Sorry, but I do keep a lot of things in mind when making personal choices, especially if it concerns a life form which is yet to develop the abillity to make their own choices.
If my choice can leave that living being bullied and traumatized because of my own selfish motives and beliefs that makes me a terrible parent.
You can't brush that off with a "Suck it up, buttercup".

This is a thing fundamentally different fom your school uniform argument, where the institution forces everyone to wear the same thing.
A school uniform is when not in school also discarded for something you find comfortable when you don't have to wear it, your name is carried with you for a good part of your life, if not your entire life.
74626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / U
Offline
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16
Sometimes things change. Once upon a time, Ashley, Shannon, and Leslie were all men's names.

Personally, I think you're a pretty cruel person/parent to name your child something horrible or ridiculous. (Not saying the above names are horrible--I was actually thinking of the ridiculous non-names people give their kids these days.) Everyone is going to get made fun of for something, but why make them an easy target? Life isn't cruel enough on it's own?

Not my kids, not my decision, of course. *shrugs* That said, my son has a boy's name.
31154 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
Hell no. Besides, if I ever did have kids I wouldn't even give them my surname.
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16


I going to address the second one first. That not the point I was making. They are giving the choice to wear a pink style uniform or a brownish uniform. Most parents chose the pink version. And before you ask why they have 2 different uniforms colors is beyond me. I never when to that school myself. The point I was making is that you can't let fear of assholes bully you into not doing what you want. There always going to be somebody that going to make fun of you over anything.

Now I going to address the first one.
This is fair and I don't have a problem with that.

Sorry, but I do keep a lot of things in mind when making personal choices, especially if it concerns a life form which is yet to develop the abillity to make their own choices.

But this one is an excuse. This is just fear controlling your decision. No, yourself truly being free and making that choice.

If my choice can leave that living being bullied and traumatized because of my own selfish motives and beliefs that makes me a terrible parent.


You're the parent and you make the decision. But if you opt out of naming your child what you actually want to name your kid. Because some people feel like being assholes. That not being a parent, that running away from responsibility. Somebody bullies your kid, you do what you need to do, to make them stop. You don't change your kid and run away from confrontation. You face it.

Also, you mention selfish motives and beliefs. That fair but that is also an opinion. Don't pretend you don't have the right to be selfish. You are going to raise them and help them for the next 18 years of their life. You have the right to be selfish. I am not saying be stupid about it and unreasonable about it. But you do have the right. You gave them a home, you keep them fed up. They exist because of you.

In any case that my opinion and I not going to change it either. Nor do I expect you too either. Regardless that yours and my views on our opinions. I don't feel your opinion is wrong but neither is my opinion either. Basically, you feel I being selfish and I feel you are avoiding conflict the wrong way.
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:

Sometimes things change. Once upon a time, Ashley, Shannon, and Leslie were all men's names.

Personally, I think you're a pretty cruel person/parent to name your child something horrible or ridiculous. (Not saying the above names are horrible--I was actually thinking of the ridiculous non-names people give their kids these days.) Everyone is going to get made fun of for something, but why make them an easy target? Life isn't cruel enough on it's own?

Not my kids, not my decision, of course. *shrugs* That said, my son has a boy's name.


What do you think of the name Dickson? Feel Dicklish to me.
74626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / U
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

KarenAraragi wrote:What do you think of the name Dickson?
I'm glad you brought this up--I didn't want to re-re-edit my post. Sometimes you get stuck with a shit last name.


"You changed your name to Latrine?"

"Yeah. It used to be Shithouse."
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
I wouldn't name a kid (because I wouldn't have one in the first place mind you) but I have seen some ridiculous shit before. Like a girl named Shithead but it was, according to the mother, pronounced "sha-theed" lol.


KarenAraragi wrote:


EvilBunnyFluff wrote:

Sometimes things change. Once upon a time, Ashley, Shannon, and Leslie were all men's names.

Personally, I think you're a pretty cruel person/parent to name your child something horrible or ridiculous. (Not saying the above names are horrible--I was actually thinking of the ridiculous non-names people give their kids these days.) Everyone is going to get made fun of for something, but why make them an easy target? Life isn't cruel enough on it's own?

Not my kids, not my decision, of course. *shrugs* That said, my son has a boy's name.


What do you think of the name Dickson? Feel Dicklish to me.


Well... people named Richard get called Dick for short often times.
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

EvilBunnyFluff wrote:


KarenAraragi wrote:What do you think of the name Dickson?
I'm glad you brought this up--I didn't want to re-re-edit my post. Sometimes you get stuck with a shit last name.


"You changed your name to Latrine?"

"Yeah. It used to be Shithouse."


Oh please read this. http://www.thetoptens.com/stupidest-names/
I believe a parent has the right to name their kid anything they want. Regardless if a male or female name or anything in general. But why would you think naming your kid Dick is a good name?
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Depends. I might pull a Seishirou Tsugumi and name my tomboy a male's name, or better yet, my female looking boy a girl's name.


Don't you hate harems though?
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

iriomote wrote:

Hell no. Besides, if I ever did have kids I wouldn't even give them my surname.


Cannot be that bad. One my names is a vegetable name.
74626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / F / U
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

dotsforlife wrote:

I wouldn't name a kid (because I wouldn't have one in the first place mind you) but I have seen some ridiculous shit before. Like a girl named Shithead but it was, according to the mother, pronounced "sha-theed" lol.
This is exactly what I mean. *sigh* Poor kid.

See also: "La-a" pronounced "La-dash-a."

Oh gosh, I just came across this... pure gold.
http://www.realclear.com/living/2014/11/07/worst_baby_names_this_millennium_9485.html


"Name's 'Gina. Sup."


As for Richard... I think that the point in time in which the nickname becomes slang for genitalia, it *might* be time to hang that shit out to dry. Though you know, now that I think about it... pretty sure everyone gets called Dick at some point so it could be MUCH worse, haha.
Posted 2/26/16

KarenAraragi wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Depends. I might pull a Seishirou Tsugumi and name my tomboy a male's name, or better yet, my female looking boy a girl's name.


Don't you hate harems though?


No, I don't hate being in a harem or watching a harem. And why would I want my trio of daughters to be infatuated with me?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.