First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Should Threads About News Stories/Studies Be Closed If They Link To, Say Stormfront Or PrisonPlanet?
Posted 2/26/16
I believe citing stories or studies that are clearly bigoted in some way do in fact call for some closing. Don't get me wrong, this is obviously MY OPINION, and I believe the mods close stuff because of THEIR OPINION. This is merely more along the lines of what I would do as a mod. (Not like I am, but assume this hypothetical for now.)

I believe citing storm front would clearly be inflammatory, as it includes content that is very upsetting to other users, and I believe to circumvent that we ought to hit it at the source and say "you cannot cite it here." We cannot openly proclaim racist attitude or whatnot without getting banned. That's normal, standard ToS. Believe it or not, you don't have the freedom to openly say what your opinion is. I don't, you don't, that's a fact. Because it could be upsetting. This is a private or something forum after all. Yet when someone cites Storm front, what does that say about a person? It is essentially the same as posting an opinion about why blacks are stupid. Both are unsubstantiated, upsetting to other users, and almost certainly made with malice. The thing with Prisonplanet is, it is made to incite people to read the story by being inflammatory or feeding attitude of paranoia and bigotry. Hence why you shouldn't quote it, because it is purposely inflammatory. Now back to what I said about not openly saying you're opinion. You have a lot of range here about what to openly say your opinion. Now I suppose you could say racist things if you were polite, but if you aren't?
42864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

This is merely more along the lines of what I would do as a mod. (Not like I am, but assume this hypothetical for now.)


PV as a mod--wow, the possibilities! Never seen a member get self-banned yet. . .


11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I believe citing stories or studies that are clearly bigoted in some way do in fact call for some closing. Don't get me wrong, this is obviously MY OPINION, and I believe the mods close stuff because of THEIR OPINION. This is merely more along the lines of what I would do as a mod. (Not like I am, but assume this hypothetical for now.)

I believe citing storm front would clearly be inflammatory, as it includes content that is very upsetting to other users, and I believe to circumvent that we ought to hit it at the source and say "you cannot cite it here." We cannot openly proclaim racist attitude or whatnot without getting banned. That's normal, standard ToS. Believe it or not, you don't have the freedom to openly say what your opinion is. I don't, you don't, that's a fact. Because it could be upsetting. This is a private or something forum after all. Yet when someone cites Storm front, what does that say about a person? It is essentially the same as posting an opinion about why blacks are stupid. Both are unsubstantiated, upsetting to other users, and almost certainly made with malice. The thing with Prisonplanet is, it is made to incite people to read the story by being inflammatory or feeding attitude of paranoia and bigotry. Hence why you shouldn't quote it, because it is purposely inflammatory. Now back to what I said about not openly saying you're opinion. You have a lot of range here about what to openly say your opinion. Now I suppose you could say racist things if you were polite, but if you aren't?


It's only inflammatory if the poster delivers it that way (which is where mods come in and do their jobs). Anything else is a personal issue on the user end. Nothing more. "Hitting it at the source" and "you cannot site it here" just boils down to pure censorship, and it stems from your skewed view on the matter.

As far as freedom of speech goes, anyone can say whatever the hell they want wherever they want. That is a fact. I think you're confusing how freedom of speech works. I can say whatever the hell I want, but that doesn't mean I'm free from the consequences of what I say.

Overall there's far too much grey area involved in what you're proposing and will result in more problems than it's worth. I can't say I don't agree with some of what you said, because I understand where you're coming from (and I'm not surprised in the least knowing where you stand on other matters brought up on CR often), but it just doesn't outweigh the current standard.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
I think that if a thread links to such a site it promotes hate crimes and should be closed for this reason.
42864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I think that if a thread links to such a site it promotes hate crimes and should be closed for this reason.


Just because of the link? The OP might be linking simply to provide an example of what s/he is arguing against. The link itself does nothing to determine its usage in the pursuant conversation. . .Discussed opinions carry the topic, not attendant links.
27705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / TX
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I believe citing stories or studies that are clearly bigoted in some way do in fact call for some closing. Don't get me wrong, this is obviously MY OPINION, and I believe the mods close stuff because of THEIR OPINION. This is merely more along the lines of what I would do as a mod. (Not like I am, but assume this hypothetical for now.)

I believe citing storm front would clearly be inflammatory, as it includes content that is very upsetting to other users, and I believe to circumvent that we ought to hit it at the source and say "you cannot cite it here." We cannot openly proclaim racist attitude or whatnot without getting banned. That's normal, standard ToS. Believe it or not, you don't have the freedom to openly say what your opinion is. I don't, you don't, that's a fact. Because it could be upsetting. This is a private or something forum after all. Yet when someone cites Storm front, what does that say about a person? It is essentially the same as posting an opinion about why blacks are stupid. Both are unsubstantiated, upsetting to other users, and almost certainly made with malice. The thing with Prisonplanet is, it is made to incite people to read the story by being inflammatory or feeding attitude of paranoia and bigotry. Hence why you shouldn't quote it, because it is purposely inflammatory. Now back to what I said about not openly saying you're opinion. You have a lot of range here about what to openly say your opinion. Now I suppose you could say racist things if you were polite, but if you aren't?


I have to say you quite fixated on these 2 sites. Have I seen them no, even when i'm off working I like to browse the threads a bit before work to see what the users are up to, and I have to say I haven't seen anyone posts with links to those websites your talking about. Do you have some examples on here that people have referenced these sites? If you don't want to mention names then at least the topics in question so I could have a better chance of finding them myself?
As for the mods they allow various topics to be discussed even if some of them may not care for said topics. When I see a thread gets axed its usually due to personal attacks or something clearly against the rules. Now if you asking just for a complete ban on what sites are allowed to be cited then I will have to respectfully disagree with that notion.To easy to just say it will hurt feelings so lets make these subjects off limits.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

moonhawk81 wrote:


Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I think that if a thread links to such a site it promotes hate crimes and should be closed for this reason.


Just because of the link? The OP might be linking simply to provide an example of what s/he is arguing against. The link itself does nothing to determine its usage in the pursuant conversation. . .Discussed opinions carry the topic, not attendant links.


Precisely. You wouldn't leave out sources in an essay or paper so why would anyone do that here? Topics are discussed all the time that stem from unpleasant things, and sourced, yet it leads to discussion that can be very beneficial. It all depends on what the user is intending to use it for. Context in simple terms.

How do people think problems are solved half the time in the world?
Posted 2/26/16
I am all for banning anything relate to Donald Trump. His idiocy and zombie resilience offend me.
runec 
28248 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
Drinking game time!

Take a shot every time someone in this thread mentions:

1. Slippery Slope(tm)
2. Free Speech
3. Censorship.

Lets see how long we stay conscious~

30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

moonhawk81 wrote:


Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I think that if a thread links to such a site it promotes hate crimes and should be closed for this reason.


Just because of the link? The OP might be linking simply to provide an example of what s/he is arguing against. The link itself does nothing to determine its usage in the pursuant conversation. . .Discussed opinions carry the topic, not attendant links.


If the source is of questionable reputation then it's not worth linking.
If for example the thread is about berating activities on a site known for being toxic then it's redundant to talk about it. and if used as a warning then linking a site is a bad idea.
And if the thread is about a news article doing this then the news article ought to be linked instead.
10420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / USA
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

runec wrote:

Drinking game time!

Take a shot every time someone in this thread mentions:

1. Slippery Slope(tm)
2. Free Speech
3. Censorship.

Lets see how long we stay conscious~



Woah man, you're going to have people sent to the hospital here with alcohol poisoning!
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
I've never heard of either of these websites so I don't know whether they're trustworthy or not. The problem though is it's often hard to tell whether a news story is trustworthy or not.

If for example the people involved or the government itself is covering things up then it doesn't matter what news company it comes from. It will still be biased sadly.
42864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Memphis, TN
Offline
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

Sir_jamesalot wrote:


moonhawk81 wrote:


Sir_jamesalot wrote:

I think that if a thread links to such a site it promotes hate crimes and should be closed for this reason.


Just because of the link? The OP might be linking simply to provide an example of what s/he is arguing against. The link itself does nothing to determine its usage in the pursuant conversation. . .Discussed opinions carry the topic, not attendant links.


If the source is of questionable reputation then it's not worth linking.
If for example the thread is about berating activities on a site known for being toxic then it's redundant to talk about it. and if used as a warning then linking a site is a bad idea.
And if the thread is about a news article doing this then the news article ought to be linked instead.


While I admire the integrity of your convictions, I must politely disagree with your point as presented at this particular time in this particular conversation. (In the interest of fairness, however, I admit to taking similar stance in posted discussions about certain applications and limits of censorship, primarily in regard to the fact that CR has users of such varied ages. I do feel that certain conversations should be held beyond the reach of some younger members. That, however, is a different and more narrow subject than is herein being currently discussed.)
451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
I only trust The Onion as a reputable new source
16598 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / NC
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
Infowars is my site man... Ain't no racism there unless you read the dang comments section...
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.