First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Should Threads About News Stories/Studies Be Closed If They Link To, Say Stormfront Or PrisonPlanet?
14947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

eclair-lumiere wrote:

I've never heard of either of these websites so I don't know whether they're trustworthy or not. The problem though is it's often hard to tell whether a news story is trustworthy or not.

If for example the people involved or the government itself is covering things up then it doesn't matter what news company it comes from. It will still be biased sadly.


Stormfront's issue at least goes beyond being a mere disreputable source. It's literally just a hive of neo-nazis.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
Hmm never thought I'd see the day PV of all people is advocating censorship..Damn I am getting old when even the lolicons think something is too much.
28204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/26/16

billytheboy wrote:
Infowars is my site man... Ain't no racism there unless you read the dang comments section...


Considering they're blaming Scalia's death on the Illuminati at the moment I'm not sure the racism is the biggest problem over there.
23493 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

This is a thread about sites known by everyone across the political spectrum for being untrustworthy when it comes to news. Should thread like these be closed, when they're based not on sound science, or reputable news sources, but on bigotry and conspiracy?

What are CR's rules on that?

One of the reason why I do fear this is because a great deal of trustworthy is subjective. That is all.


I've never seen anyone on Crunchyroll link to either of those sites tbh.
14947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

runec wrote:


billytheboy wrote:
Infowars is my site man... Ain't no racism there unless you read the dang comments section...


Considering they're blaming Scalia's death on the Illuminati at the moment I'm not sure the racism is the biggest problem over there.


you know I think it would actually be easier to compile a list of what isn't wrong with infowars
14947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

Ranwolf wrote:

Hmm never thought I'd see the day PV of all people is advocating censorship..Damn I am getting old when even the lolicons think something is too much.


I think the nosedive into complete awfulness that other thread took yesterday may have gone a bit beyond the pale for some people.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

vanguard1234523 wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:

Hmm never thought I'd see the day PV of all people is advocating censorship..Damn I am getting old when even the lolicons think something is too much.


I think the nosedive into complete awfulness that other thread took yesterday may have gone a bit beyond the pale for some people.


Which are you referring to? I feel like I missed all the fun.
14947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Massachusetts
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

dotsforlife wrote:


vanguard1234523 wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:

Hmm never thought I'd see the day PV of all people is advocating censorship..Damn I am getting old when even the lolicons think something is too much.


I think the nosedive into complete awfulness that other thread took yesterday may have gone a bit beyond the pale for some people.


Which are you referring to? I feel like I missed all the fun.


a thread about whether or not ww3 was a desirable outcome. Degenerated into anti-semitic conspiracy theories. was not pleasant
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

vanguard1234523 wrote:


dotsforlife wrote:


vanguard1234523 wrote:

I think the nosedive into complete awfulness that other thread took yesterday may have gone a bit beyond the pale for some people.


Which are you referring to? I feel like I missed all the fun.


a thread about whether or not ww3 was a desirable outcome. Degenerated into anti-semitic conspiracy theories. was not pleasant


Ah. I think I left that one alone. That or I didn't stick around long enough to see it devolve.
28204 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 2/26/16

vanguard1234523 wrote:
you know I think it would actually be easier to compile a list of what isn't wrong with infowars


I...guess the page layout is okay? I'm really trying here but the moment I opened the site it tried to sell me "powerful nano-colloidal zeolites" to cleanse my body of "chemicals and toxic metals". So even the sidebar aids are selling literal snake oil.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/26/16

vanguard1234523 wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:

Hmm never thought I'd see the day PV of all people is advocating censorship..Damn I am getting old when even the lolicons think something is too much.


I think the nosedive into complete awfulness that other thread took yesterday may have gone a bit beyond the pale for some people.


i donna know a little longer and we could have those neo nazi scum perma banned. In that way it was awesome, till some mod ruined that ever happening.
37142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
No they shouldn't be closed. Censoring them won't do any good, in fact it will reinforce their convictions. The people who know will call out bad sources, that's enough warning for anyone who doesn't know better.
Dragon
58342 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 2/26/16

Ranwolf wrote:

i donna know a little longer and we could have those neo nazi scum perma banned. In that way it was awesome, till some mod ruined that ever happening.


No.. you couldn't. You want to make sure someone who is breaking the rules is banned? Don't engage them. Report, but do not escalate or reply. When there is back and forth, it makes things harder. When someone attacks the person in posts, it makes things harder. Just ignore them in the forum and report their offense.

Might it take mods hours to reply? Yes. This isn't our job, and our schedules sometimes don't align to when the reports come in.

But just trying to escalate things doesn't make us perma-ban anyone.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/26/16 , edited 2/26/16

MakotoKamui wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:

i donna know a little longer and we could have those neo nazi scum perma banned. In that way it was awesome, till some mod ruined that ever happening.


No.. you couldn't. You want to make sure someone who is breaking the rules is banned? Don't engage them. Report, but do not escalate or reply. When there is back and forth, it makes things harder. When someone attacks the person in posts, it makes things harder. Just ignore them in the forum and report their offense.

Might it take mods hours to reply? Yes. This isn't our job, and our schedules sometimes don't align to when the reports come in.

But just trying to escalate things doesn't make us perma-ban anyone.


I did report mate, I also didn't escalate so save your self righteous spiel for somebody else. There is no crime to enjoy the show from a distance last time I checked the rules I agreed to.
5055 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/26/16
"This is a thread about sites known by everyone across the political spectrum for being untrustworthy when it comes to news."

Alex Jones has a nationally syndicated talk show, millions and millions of ppl listen to him everyday....... He is on the radio in my city in the afternoon, so apparently not everyone across the political spectrum knows he is untrustworthy...... Saw that OP wanted to ban fox news stories too, but thought "it would alienate too many ppl." Controversy is not flamebating, and I doubt that closing links to mainstream news sources which OP is personally biased towards would make for interesting discussion.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.