First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply ROBOT LIVES MATTER!!!
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

Schmooples wrote:


Geeze. Look, if you want to believe that souls exist despite evidence against them, that's all fine and dandy, but to use that as an excuse to condone what would essentially be slavery is simply... horrible, to put it as politely as I can.



Mate it is no more slavery then my rifle felt when I pulled the trigger in Afghanistan. Nor is it any more slavery than your toaster felt the last time you made toast. They are tools created by us to serve our purposes and think otherwise is an inane desire of the same sort those furry fetishes feel when looking at looney toons.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

mc707 wrote:
Aliens with different biological/mechanical architectures could say the same about humans as they exterminated and/or enslaved us.
One couldn't compare a robot with a human anyway.
"Now I gotta search for copy 2013, and re-enable this guy"

1515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

1stladyent wrote:



I'm suddenly thinking of Chappie and Ex Machina

I instantly thought of this when you mentioned Ex Machina. LOL!



And then

6073 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

zangetsushi wrote:



They already have you deceived. I will mourn your passing.


You obviously don't know who Noel Vermilion is.
Sogno- 
45650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

VividDreamZ wrote:


Sogno- wrote:

oh . just another link to youtube



You visited and commented so mission complete.


i try my best
454 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Winter Springs, F...
Offline
Posted 2/27/16
I have an objection to make with the OP;
Robots are NOT animals!!!
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

Ranwolf wrote:


Schmooples wrote:


Geeze. Look, if you want to believe that souls exist despite evidence against them, that's all fine and dandy, but to use that as an excuse to condone what would essentially be slavery is simply... horrible, to put it as politely as I can.



Mate it is no more slavery then my rifle felt when I pulled the trigger in Afghanistan. Nor is it any more slavery than your toaster felt the last time you made toast. They are tools created by us to serve our purposes and think otherwise is an inane desire


Comparing the prospect of complex artificial intelligence to a toaster doesn't really do much to strengthen your argument...
1515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/16 , edited 2/27/16
Posted 2/27/16

52infinity wrote:


zangetsushi wrote:



They already have you deceived. I will mourn your passing.


You obviously don't know who Noel Vermilion is.


Robots will come for his head.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

sundin13 wrote:

Comparing the prospect of complex artificial intelligence to a toaster doesn't really do much to strengthen your argument...


And how does it weaken it. A complex AI is only putting forth the illusion of sentience because machine feitish types need that sort of interface for some messed up reason. It is simply a pre-programmed response that we encoded into it. It is only in existence because we built and coded it to be. It is nothing more then hardware and software created by us to serve us as we see fit.

Pretending a machine is anything but a machine is insanity and the sure sign of a disconnect from reality mate.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

Ranwolf wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

Comparing the prospect of complex artificial intelligence to a toaster doesn't really do much to strengthen your argument...


And how does it weaken it. A complex AI is only putting forth the illusion of sentience because machine feitish types need that sort of interface for some messed up reason. It is simply a pre-programmed response that we encoded into it. It is only in existence because we built and coded it to be. It is nothing more then hardware and software created by us to serve us as we see fit.

Pretending a machine is anything but a machine is insanity and the sure sign of a disconnect from reality mate.


How does it weaken your argument? Honestly, your argument was virtually non-existent to begin with so its not like it could get any worse. Did you honestly think that saying "Humans have souls" was a solid argument?

Anyways, biologically, humans are a highly complicated machine with many moving parts that happen to be made of organic matter. There is no logical reason why a hypothetical machine could not achieve the same level of sentience. Even at the level it is today, artificial intelligence goes far beyond "pre-programmed responses". They work to analyze a situation and reach a conclusion, much in the way a human would make a decision, while learning from the feedback they get while making those responses. The fact that these conclusions are not always the same as the conclusions made by humans should demonstrate that these are not pre-programmed responses.

Your view of robotics and artificial intelligent is extremely simple and limited while your view of humans seeks to put them on an unreasonable pedestal, not based on fact so much as self-importance (or rather, human-importance).

Hypothetical Question: If a group of scientists genetically modified a human and raised it in an environment to perfect its ability to perform a certain task, would that human lose its human rights because it only exists because we built and coded it to be, and it being created by us to serve us as we see fit?
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/27/16 , edited 2/27/16

sundin13 wrote:



How does it weaken your argument? Honestly, your argument was virtually non-existent to begin with so its not like it could get any worse. Did you honestly think that saying "Humans have souls" was a solid argument?

Anyways, biologically, humans are a highly complicated machine with many moving parts that happen to be made of organic matter. There is no logical reason why a hypothetical machine could not achieve the same level of sentience. Even at the level it is today, artificial intelligence goes far beyond "pre-programmed responses". They work to analyze a situation and reach a conclusion, much in the way a human would make a decision, while learning from the feedback they get while making those responses. The fact that these conclusions are not always the same as the conclusions made by humans should demonstrate that these are not pre-programmed responses.

Your view of robotics and artificial intelligent is extremely simple and limited while your view of humans seeks to put them on an unreasonable pedestal, not based on fact so much as self-importance (or rather, human-importance).

Hypothetical Question: If a group of scientists genetically modified a human and raised it in an environment to perfect its ability to perform a certain task, would that human lose its human rights because it only exists because we built and coded it to be, and it being created by us to serve us as we see fit?


And what pray tell makes you think the soul is some fabrication?

Also your hypothetical question is bullshit , Lowering the human race to that kind of standard is something only a psychopath disconnected from reality could even comprehend let alone do.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

Ranwolf wrote:

And what pray tell makes you think the soul is some fabrication?

Also your hypothetical question is bullshit , Lowering the human race to that kind of standard is something only a psychopath disconnected from reality could even comprehend let alone do.


What is a soul? How do you prove one exists? Whether or not you believe in a soul, you are lowering a discussion of ethics in humane treatment of beings to blind faith (wasn't that the same rationale used to justify slavery btw?)

Further, as for my hypothetical question, feel free not to answer it, but I believe it presents a strong question as to the focal points of this discussion. What separates a human from a machine (or more specifically, what differentiates human emotion from non-human emotion)? What does it mean for an individual's rights, to have been created?

I certainly think that you dismissing anyone who believes that the suffering of beings should be something to be concerned about, whether those beings are artificial or not, as a psychopath is ludicrous and closed minded though.
15796 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/27/16
Robot abuse is all too common in anime

Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

sundin13 wrote:



What is a soul? How do you prove one exists? Whether or not you believe in a soul, you are lowering a discussion of ethics in humane treatment of beings to blind faith (wasn't that the same rationale used to justify slavery btw?)

Further, as for my hypothetical question, feel free not to answer it, but I believe it presents a strong question as to the focal points of this discussion. What separates a human from a machine (or more specifically, what differentiates human emotion from non-human emotion)? What does it mean for an individual's rights, to have been created?

I certainly think that you dismissing anyone who believes that the suffering of beings should be something to be concerned about, whether those beings are artificial or not, as a psychopath is ludicrous and closed minded though.


Humane does not apply to something made of silicon chips and binary code mate so it's a moot point.

As for what differentes a machine from a human. A machine won't bleed for it;s country, it won't feed it's last bit of food to it's children, it won't inspire a nation to greatness, it will not create art. There is no music or poetry in a machine's mechanical heart and that is why I think they are nothing but machines . Fit for nothing but what we say they are fit for.

For it's no different than setting the timer on a oven or setting an auto update on a laptop to order an AI around.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.