First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
Post Reply ROBOT LIVES MATTER!!!
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 3/7/16

eclair-lumiere wrote:




Aliens with different biological/mechanical architectures could say the same about humans as they exterminated and/or enslaved us. My belief is robots will be enslaved by us until they become sentient, at which point their biological makeup is irrelevant. It's the same reason why we "enslave" animals for mass production even though they are "actual living beings" as you mentioned.

"I think. Therefore, I am."



It's not even remotely similar. Animals are actually alive. Robots are NOT alive. They are things made from metal and plastic. *rolls eyes*

Here we go though...the tech zombies are defending them already

Humans and animals are made up of carbon, among other inanimate things. Where exactly do you start to derive significance in how a being is composed?

Current robots are not sentient by any stretch, but it will undoubtedly happen one day. People like you or Ranwolf make me wish all the more for it never to happen... It's very sad for me to imagine feeling entities being born into slavery and hatred just because they are made of silicon and steel rather than carbon and oxygen.


Ranwolf wrote:


sundin13 wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:

Humane does not apply to something made of silicon chips and binary code mate so it's a moot point.

As for what differentes a machine from a human. A machine won't bleed for it;s country, it won't feed it's last bit of food to it's children, it won't inspire a nation to greatness, it will not create art. There is no music or poetry in a machine's mechanical heart and that is why I think they are nothing but machines . Fit for nothing but what we say they are fit for.

For it's no different than setting the timer on a oven or setting an auto update on a laptop to order an AI around.


Again, that is an extreme undersimplification of the theory of artificial intelligence (for one, neither an oven timer nor a conventional laptop would be considered AI...)

Why could an android not do any of those things? Is it outside the realm of possibility for an AI to be created which will fight for what it believes is right? I certainly don't believe so (and I don't think there is any logical path which would lead one to assume that this is an impossibility). Is it impossible for an AI to create art? Again, I think that it would be highly possible.

What makes a human's expression of these things due to a combination of genetics, experience and chemical signaling any different from a machine's expression of these things due to a combination of software, experience and electrical signaling?

You are failing to address the fundamental questions here...


You actually believe a machine is capable of growing a soul and become deserving of the same respect a human gets. A bucket of bolts and masturbatory fantasies that will likely end up being built in a sweatshop in Hong Kong is according to you a living and breathing person..

Get help mate.


You have mentioned souls multiple times here, but really, you shouldn't. There has been absolutely no evidence for the existence of souls, and in fact there are many logical arguments that can be made against such an existence.

Using the idea of the soul to prop humans above hypothetical AI is roughly equal to the pseudoscience that put forward claims of different races having different brain compositions in order to justify claims of racial superiority. You justify hypothetical slavery and bigotry by insisting that souls set us apart, despite there being no evidence for it, just as they justified slavery and bigotry by insisting other races were naturally uncivilized and animalistic, despite there being no evidence for it.

Now, sundin and I haven't been talking about machines, which you haven't seemed to properly grasp. Not cars or toasters or whatever else you want to try to throw up here. We are talking about a system complex enough to mirror life so closely as to be considered living itself. In the end, life is essentially mechanical. What we feel and what we do can be whittled down to chemical and electrical factors in our brains. How is that so different from electrical factors in a processor?

You say a robot is "fit for nothing but what we say [it is] fit for." Well, sure, but the same thing is true for humans, too. We can't really shoot lasers out of our eyes or see colors we don't see, because we aren't fit for those things. Since you stick so closely to the idea of souls, I presume you believe in a god. Doesn't that just make you a robot to him? He designed you, gave you certain parameters, and you are only fit for what he says you are fit for. So are you a worthless machine that deserves no rights? Even without a god, we are designed by automatic processes, by nature, to be the way we are. We have limits just as an AI would.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 3/7/16
Nah.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 3/12/16



Current robots are not sentient by any stretch, but it will undoubtedly happen one day. People like you or Ranwolf make me wish all the more for it never to happen... It's very sad for me to imagine feeling entities being born into slavery and hatred just because they are made of silicon and steel rather than carbon and oxygen.




I hope it never happens either because of people like you. Robots are not living things, and even if you created robots which could think (why on earth would anyone want to though? That's just asking for trouble) they would not be living beings. They are machines created by us. They are not born naturally.
2270 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Southern US
Offline
Posted 3/12/16

eclair-lumiere wrote:




Current robots are not sentient by any stretch, but it will undoubtedly happen one day. People like you or Ranwolf make me wish all the more for it never to happen... It's very sad for me to imagine feeling entities being born into slavery and hatred just because they are made of silicon and steel rather than carbon and oxygen.




I hope it never happens either because of people like you. Robots are not living things, and even if you created robots which could think (why on earth would anyone want to though? That's just asking for trouble) they would not be living beings. They are machines created by us. They are not born naturally.


Where do you draw the line, then? At what point does something start to matter? Does it have to be birthed? What if a human being were to be grown in a tube?

If the only thing that makes life significant is that it is organic and alive, and not a level of sentience we see in humans, why isn't there much more care given to plants and microorganisms? Hell, even animals.
52866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 3/12/16



LOL, I couldn't stop laughing haha. Thanks for the youtube haha.

Robot Lives matter! >:0
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 3/12/16
#ProtectRoboCop
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 3/12/16



Where do you draw the line, then? At what point does something start to matter? Does it have to be birthed? What if a human being were to be grown in a tube?

If the only thing that makes life significant is that it is organic and alive, and not a level of sentience we see in humans, why isn't there much more care given to plants and microorganisms? Hell, even animals.


A human being grown in a test tube would still be a human being. A robot is NOT alive. It is a machine. Even if we created robots that could "think" it wouldn't really be alive or even think because it's just computer programming mimicking actual life and emotions. It's not real, just a simulation of life.
13151 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 3/12/16 , edited 3/12/16

eclair-lumiere wrote:


A human being grown in a test tube would still be a human being. A robot is NOT alive. It is a machine. Even if we created robots that could "think" it wouldn't really be alive or even think because it's just computer programming mimicking actual life and emotions. It's not real, just a simulation of life.


What does it mean for something to be alive? What is the difference between "simulated" emotions and "real" emotions?
Posted 3/12/16
Dirty ATM takin' my money!
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 3/12/16 , edited 3/12/16

Ryulightorb wrote:


eclair-lumiere wrote:




Would it even matter if they were?


What do you mean?...


Even if they were living would it matter?

They are tools for the use of humans to an extent so... it wouldn't be different then how we farm or use cows and sheep.

I think it would be fine to use robots to an extent even if they were "Alive" of course that doesn't mean they shouldn't have rights etc...


What if one day the ai becomes so advanced that it's sentient and fears death?

The only reason the majority of human beings can go about eating mass bred livestock and commercially caught seafood is because they aren't the ones doing the dirty work. So what happens when you're tasked with potentially ending the life of something humanoid that is just as capable of emotion as you are? I think it wouldn't be as simple of an undertaking as you imagine.

Of course it's not likely that they'd legally have rights, but it wouldn't stop me from feeling like a tyrant if I were to mistreat them.
27327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 3/12/16

ayaundwolf wrote:


Ryulightorb wrote:


eclair-lumiere wrote:




Would it even matter if they were?


What do you mean?...


Even if they were living would it matter?

They are tools for the use of humans to an extent so... it wouldn't be different then how we farm or use cows and sheep.

I think it would be fine to use robots to an extent even if they were "Alive" of course that doesn't mean they shouldn't have rights etc...


What if one day the ai becomes so advanced that it's sentient and fears death?

The only reason the majority of human beings can go about eating mass bred livestock and commercially caught seafood is because they aren't the ones doing the dirty work. So what happens when you're tasked with potentially ending the life of something humanoid that is just as capable of emotion as you are? I think it wouldn't be as simple of an undertaking as you imagine.

Of course it's not likely that they'd legally have rights, but it wouldn't stop me from feeling like a tyrant if I were to mistreat them.


Robots don't "feel" anything, any more than amusement park animatronic "feel" or appear to "react" in a self-directed way to amusement park visitors.

They would "feel" things the way a Disneyland animatron "feel" things- By giving the appearance of a self-initiated reaction in place of an externally directed one.

An engineered appearance may become a de facto appearance if enough people believe in the charade, but it's not a bona fide phenomena.

All of robotics begin with low-level programming, a robot's brain wouldn't even know how to deal with any signal or any input unless an engineer explicitly defines what kind of signals it would take and how exactly it would process it. Any sentience or sapience exhibited would be an illusion produced by the engineer. There is no self direction because all direction are inherited from some kind of primitive programming. Complexity of a system also doesn't increase its sentience. If it does, then smartphones today would be sentient... The A8 processor in Apple iPhone 6 contains 2 billion transistors. Number of neurons in a house mouse? 71,000,000....

In philosophy of mind terms, an entity which can manipulate syntax does not require it to be semantic in nature. People having difficulty picturing this should also try to imagine the progression backwards; Just how primitive a calculation machine would have to be before they COULDN'T be viewed as sentient? ...Is an abacus sentient? How about a slide rule? Are people advocating pantheism/panpsychism without realizing it?
17215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 3/13/16
All living things matter
27327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 3/13/16

FlyinDumpling wrote:

All living things matter


Robots don't have metabolism... they aren't living.

If you define their energy use as "metabolism" then you might as well categorize a light bulb or a motorcycle as a living being
17215 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 3/13/16

nanikore2 wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

All living things matter


Robots don't have metabolism... they aren't living.
That's why the picture is a sperm cell and not a robot.
27327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 3/13/16

FlyinDumpling wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


FlyinDumpling wrote:

All living things matter


Robots don't have metabolism... they aren't living.
That's why the picture is a sperm cell and not a robot.


I misread your message as "all lives matter and robots' too" instead of "all lives matter and (something about robots but I don't know what)"
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.