First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
What country produces the best automobile?
Posted 2/27/16
Other? - Comment below
2360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / The Bay
Offline
Posted 2/27/16
That was a difficult question lol. Japan has some of the best cars in terms of reliability and cost, but can't compare to Germany in terms of the build quality, technology, and ingenuity. The way that Germany's hybrid and diesel cars are advancing are ridiculous.

And with the addition to Tesla in the US, we might be back on the map, but it's hard to say since I live 10 minutes from the factory, so I see Teslas on every drive.

I picked Germany because they're all round pretty good, just a bit more to work on.
1mic 
8653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NYC, USA
Offline
Posted 2/27/16
I've owned a Honda Prelude 2001 (built in Japan, not US) and sold it with 165,000 running great. I now have a Scion TC coupe lease. I have to admit Italy makes some impressive over-the-top sports cars and Germany has made luxury sedans pretty much like no other. For fun, reliability, style, ability to modify, low maintenance - I really like Japan in the under 30,000 us dollars class.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

byClear wrote:

That was a difficult question lol. Japan has some of the best cars in terms of reliability and cost, but can't compare to Germany in terms of the build quality, technology, and ingenuity. The way that Germany's hybrid and diesel cars are advancing are ridiculous.

And with the addition to Tesla in the US, we might be back on the map, but it's hard to say since I live 10 minutes from the factory, so I see Teslas on every drive.

I picked Germany because they're all round pretty good, just a bit more to work on.


Bitch please the Mitsubishi's I've owned and worked on my entire driving life will run circles around that over priced Kraut made crap. Europe couldn't produce a decent all wheel drive sedan if their lives depended on it.
2360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / The Bay
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

Ranwolf wrote:


byClear wrote:

That was a difficult question lol. Japan has some of the best cars in terms of reliability and cost, but can't compare to Germany in terms of the build quality, technology, and ingenuity. The way that Germany's hybrid and diesel cars are advancing are ridiculous.

And with the addition to Tesla in the US, we might be back on the map, but it's hard to say since I live 10 minutes from the factory, so I see Teslas on every drive.

I picked Germany because they're all round pretty good, just a bit more to work on.


Bitch please the Mitsubishi's I've owned and worked on my entire driving life will run circles around that over priced Kraut made crap. Europe couldn't produce a decent all wheel drive sedan if their lives depended on it.


Lol i'll give you that, talking with friends, even the Quattro system in the Audi R8 kinda is shit. The car feels like a understeery bus to drive I heard.

The Japanese aren't on the same level tho when it comes to Hybrids, ABS, and Traction Control. If you look at the LMP1 H cars and the F1 tech now it's so clever and interesting, Toyota and Honda are trying, but couldn't compete last year. Don't even get me started on the TC in our Toyota, it feels like the transmission is destroying itself when it engages lol.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd buy a Japanese car over a German one. Partially the cost and partially because you feel more in tune with the more bare-bones kinda car. Mostly because I don't feel like having a German thing thats just gonna fall apart haha. Some tuning here or there and you can get an old Japanese car pretty quick too.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

byClear wrote:

[


The Japanese aren't on the same level tho when it comes to Hybrids, ABS, and Traction Control. If you look at the LMP1 H cars and the F1 tech now it's so clever and interesting, Toyota and Honda are trying, but couldn't compete last year. Don't even get me started on the TC in our Toyota, it feels like the transmission is destroying itself when it engages lol.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd buy a Japanese car over a German one. Partially the cost and partially because you feel more in tune with the more bare-bones kinda car. Mostly because I don't feel like having a German thing thats just gonna fall apart haha. Some tuning here or there and you can get an old Japanese car pretty quick too.


ABS, traction control..geez what sort of tuner needs any of that. I frankly rip that crap out of every car I buy the minute the transfer of ownership is done.Next thing you'll be telling me is you drive an automatic. As for hybrids, meh when they build one that handles and has the power like my Evo 8 did then I'll take them seriously. I managed to get 750 whp at 485 lbs-torque out of that thing..on race fuel mind you...the only downside.

As for bare bones, stripped down to the bare skin of the car is the only way a true tuner goes. I don't need a leather interior with silk accents and whatever unnecessary crap the Europeans feel the need of.
2360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / The Bay
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

Ranwolf wrote:


byClear wrote:

[


The Japanese aren't on the same level tho when it comes to Hybrids, ABS, and Traction Control. If you look at the LMP1 H cars and the F1 tech now it's so clever and interesting, Toyota and Honda are trying, but couldn't compete last year. Don't even get me started on the TC in our Toyota, it feels like the transmission is destroying itself when it engages lol.

Don't get me wrong though, I'd buy a Japanese car over a German one. Partially the cost and partially because you feel more in tune with the more bare-bones kinda car. Mostly because I don't feel like having a German thing thats just gonna fall apart haha. Some tuning here or there and you can get an old Japanese car pretty quick too.


ABS, traction control..geez what sort of tuner needs any of that. I frankly rip that crap out of every car I buy the minute the transfer of ownership is done.Next thing you'll be telling me is you drive an automatic. As for hybrids, meh when they build one that handles and has the power like my Evo 8 did then I'll take them seriously. I managed to get 750 whp at 485 lbs-torque out of that thing..on race fuel mind you...the only downside.

As for bare bones, stripped down to the bare skin of the car is the only way a true tuner goes. I don't need a leather interior with silk accents and whatever unnecessary crap the Europeans feel the need of.


I used to think like that, but that's what the full spec race car is for. I live in the Bay Area, so I sit in traffic a lot of the time and all the comforts are nice haha. I haven't slumped to driving an Auto yet, so I run the 6 speed on our Scion Tc.

Personally I don't like or need assists, but we're talking about the best car, and you can't ignore all the technology that German cars have now. I'm thinking like some "normal" person not like a racing driver. I want an older car for that very reason, more old school and dangerous. And I don't care about bhp, I drive on circuits not on the quarter mile.
9769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16
There are some Japanese gems, but Toyota single-handedly knocks Japan out of the race

I like Italian.
4980 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / F / ireland
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
Germany but they seem to be more expensive.

Though car ownership in Ireland is very expensive anyway
5238 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
When it comes to production of vintage cars, it's Germany. I used to have this Volkswagen Golf from 1994 and it was a workhorse.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16

byClear wrote:


Personally I don't like or need assists, but we're talking about the best car, and you can't ignore all the technology that German cars have now. I'm thinking like some "normal" person not like a racing driver. I want an older car for that very reason, more old school and dangerous. And I don't care about bhp, I drive on circuits not on the quarter mile.


I don't do the 1/4 mile either, drag racing was always Sophie's thing not mine. I prefer throwing the car sideways around the curves. And a high powered engine makes that much easier and more fun to boot.


aeb0717 wrote:

There are some Japanese gems, but Toyota single-handedly knocks Japan out of the race

I like Italian.


Really you're going to judge an entire country on a single producer. In that case Europe is utterly overpriced trash that performs nowhere near it's price point. And the last time North America produced anything worthwhile in the automotive department shooting Germans was everyone's favorite past time.
2360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / The Bay
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16

aeb0717 wrote:

There are some Japanese gems, but Toyota single-handedly knocks Japan out of the race

I like Italian.


Don't bash Toyota too hard, their cars aren't that horrible, besides they did produce the lovely LFA. I think that the engines are their strong suit though, most of their cars are boring husks of plastic to drive.

Italian cars are nice, but we said best car not "best" car lol. I would agree that Italy produces some of the most beautiful looking and sounding cars in the world, but the new ones depreciate faster than the setting sun and the old ones are part of the soil now. For the money though, a 500 Abarth is where it's at, it's quicker than anyone will expect and has a nice chassis to back it up.


Ranwolf wrote:

I don't do the 1/4 mile either, drag racing was always Sophie's thing not mine. I prefer throwing the car sideways around the curves. And a high powered engine makes that much easier and more fun to boot. .


Ahhh, I get it lol. I still drive for speed and grip so I wouldn't run that much power in a car until I have the chassis and aero to back it up. And if I ever do something like that I highly doubt the car will be street legal. I wouldn't mind a high powered car tho, I'd be fun to scare people on the freeway, but I already scare people so they wouldn't come back if I added power haha.
7510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
America
Offline
Posted 2/28/16

aeb0717 wrote:

There are some Japanese gems, but Toyota single-handedly knocks Japan out of the race

I like Italian.


I've had a Toyota Sienna for around 6 years, but I've never had a problem with it either than blowing up air for the tires???

9769 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16

GreenBubbleGum wrote:

I've had a Toyota Sienna for around 6 years, but I've never had a problem with it either than blowing up air for the tires???



Shortly after you got your's, Toyota began having major recalls. You missed it by a year or two. It's been quiet for maybe six months.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/28/16

byClear wrote:



Ahhh, I get it lol. I still drive for speed and grip so I wouldn't run that much power in a car until I have the chassis and aero to back it up. And if I ever do something like that I highly doubt the car will be street legal. I wouldn't mind a high powered car tho, I'd be fun to scare people on the freeway, but I already scare people so they wouldn't come back if I added power haha.


Ya'd be surprised what ya can get away. Leastwise in B.C, especially since they got rid of Air Care requirements. Before I needed a bunch of horsepower killing crap to pass the tests Air Care used. Still got 700+ hp out of most of my rides though. Now shit I could probably get 900 or more hp out of a car if felt like it.

Might buy my section mate's R34 and see. Dropping that kind of cash for mere curiosity is a bit much though.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.