First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Linux still a pain in the ass
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/27/16
This is the Nth time I've given Linux a chance.

Still a pain in the ass.

VLC had no problems playing any video in Windows.

VLC in Linux Mint can't play this file that has hvec encode, even after I installed the proprietary extras whateverthatis.

Looked up the forums, says VLC version 2.2.0 (and later) would solve the hvec.

Problem solved? WRONG

VLC doesn't update itself the way it does in the Windows version.

Back to googling for solutions again

This other page says these three lines would install latest version:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/master-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install vlc

...and did it install latest version? NOPE

says "vlc is already the newest version" uhhhhhh no, 2.1.6 is NOT the latest version............

It's these endless stream of hiccups like these, big and small, that makes me go to Windows and STAY there
10589 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 2/27/16
maybe try a different player...? unless VLC is the only one that works (somewhat) :L
isn't there like a Kodi or mpchc / pot player..?
25521 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / United States of...
Online
Posted 2/27/16
Linux is freedom
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

maybe try a different player...? unless VLC is the only one that works (somewhat) :L
isn't there like a Kodi or mpchc / pot player..?


The default player and an mplayer frontend does the same thing- nothing but audio, won't play that codec

All these stuff just keeps forcing me back to Windows every single time, and through the years I've tried close to 10x already

Windows programs make it easy with their self-contained auto-updaters and double-click installs you just download from anywhere

Not so with Linux
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/27/16

jazzy663 wrote:

Linux is freedom


Freedom for me to get frustrated until I go back to Windows
4369 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / Rainbow Factory
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
Can't wait for Linux based headaches once I get it installed. Hopefully in a day or so.
16739 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
> Implying windows works without issues

I've had far less issues on linux than I ever had on windows and I can modify windows so heavily that I can get it to boot in 1/3 the time it normally takes. The problem is that some software developers don't care to update their shit.

I just wonder why vlc hasn't made a self installer of the newest version for mint. They have the make file if you really want to do it yourself.
Posted 2/28/16
maybe try a different flavor like Ubuntu? ive never had issues with it and people find it more friendly usually
20890 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
VLC and Linux?
just come to the land of green pastures..
14086 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
I would try Ubuntu otherwise maybe going back to Windows wouldn't be so bad even though it is expensive
11213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Clinton, NY
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16

Rujikin wrote:

> Implying windows works without issues

I've had far less issues on linux than I ever had on windows and I can modify windows so heavily that I can get it to boot in 1/3 the time it normally takes. The problem is that some software developers don't care to update their shit.

I just wonder why vlc hasn't made a self installer of the newest version for mint. They have the make file if you really want to do it yourself.


What are you boot times? Windows already boots in less than 20 seconds.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
I use dual boot Linux/Win.

Win-win
34504 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / M / Covington, KY
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16
Linux has a thousand distros made by a million undirected tinkerers who only focus on usability for themselves. Without a definitive version for developers to focus on, it will never be a desktop OS that can replace Windows or Mac.

Google could probably fix this by releasing an official desktop version of Android, but seems to have zero interest in that.
9074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
Oh god... now you'll have the Linux fanboys whinging at you for pointing out the fact it can be a huge pain sometimes...

Hope you get it sorted, I gave up on Linux long ago because of things that either couldn't be fixed in a timely manner/having to deal with fanboys that get angry because you have an issue.
2346 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27
Offline
Posted 2/28/16

uncoveror wrote:

Linux has a thousand distros made by a million undirected tinkerers who only focus on usability for themselves. Without a definitive version for developers to focus on, it will never be a desktop OS that can replace Windows or Mac.

Google could probably fix this by releasing an official desktop version of Android, but seems to have zero interest in that.


There is android for desktop.
http://www.jide.com/en/remixos



mastersensenpai wrote:

Oh god... now you'll have the Linux fanboys whinging at you for pointing out the fact it can be a huge pain sometimes...

Hope you get it sorted, I gave up on Linux long ago because of things that either couldn't be fixed in a timely manner/having to deal with fanboys that get angry because you have an issue.


>Implying there are no Windows fanboys.

Having a smaller community, unfortunately there is a bigger chance of meeting antisocial unhelpful trolls. I try not to ask for help myself, as google will give me solutions 90% of the time.

I had tons of trouble migrating to Linux before 2014 (started in 2009). I tried multiple times over many years to move to Linux but it always gave game breaking issues so I was forced to stay with Windows.Thankfully W7 was a beauty, but after the Windows 10 fiasco I got serious about switching. After Valve started supporting the platform, I was finally able to move to Linux. It helped immensely to learn the OS architecture and how to use the command line, I cannot stress that enough. It is so incredibly easy to do stuff once you get the hang of it. All my previous failed attempts also correlate with my stubbornnes in not wanting to use the terminal or resorting to copy-pasting lines from tutorials.
I will never go back to looking for installers on random websites, just a few lines in the console and all my programs get installed immediately from a reputable source and updating them is stupidly easy.

With that said, Linux is not for everyone and it's fine to just stay in Windows if you don't feel like getting out of your confort zone. It is hard as f*** no matter what they tell you, I know it personally.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.