First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Linux still a pain in the ass
17771 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / outer wall, level...
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
what version of linux?

try ubuntu. its pretty easy to install and get running, for linux anyways.
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16
There is just something weird going on with Mint. Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf installs 2.2.1 without adding any repositories. Mint 17.3 Cinnamon installs 2.1.6 for some reason, of course they are using Ubuntu's 14.04LTS Trusty Tahr repositories instead, maybe they are out of date. I have no idea why your added repository didn't work.
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
It is what it is I guess. Windows is slower because it has like a million contingencies for everything in its coding.

Linux is faster because it doesn't bother with that. Drawback is when you need something that isn't built into its coding, you gotta work for it which is kinda a pain.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16

KnightOfZero1991 wrote:

It is what it is I guess. Windows is slower because it has like a million contingencies for everything in its coding.

Linux is faster because it doesn't bother with that. Drawback is when you need something that isn't built into its coding, you gotta work for it which is kinda a pain.


Yeah cause a boot time of what.. four or five extra seconds is totally not worth a backup plan...I'll never understand the logic behind that myself. I mean everyone with half a brain likes having a backup plan.
80213 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
What about this site? https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/vlc
21057 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16
Linux at first is like eating a raw lemon. It is a bitter journey. And soon you learn that you can add sugar and other spices in there and eventually it starts tasting good. Occasionally you still mess a thing or two but in the end, after learning enough you can't live enough. And soon you have a ton of quality of life scripts and daemons that make your life easy and the use of computer more effective than using windows.

ps. If the dependencies and etc. are correct - VLC will run perfectly.
pw242 
5029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
Thanks to the OP, it needs to be said. Every time I try to use Linux it's the same story.

It doesn't work.
"Oh, you just need to use giyas v5.6.0.2.1 to fix that"
Tried it, doesn't work.
"Well of course not! You're using an out of date yerflup! Just type 'flub nup gin /s 56 puks' and it will be cool!"
Tried that, it said it's missing 'burhfplof'.
"LOL, that old saw! Just download the source to the latest patch and recompile the binaries."

And it goes on and on and on....
11750 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23
Offline
Posted 2/28/16

conikettu wrote:

Linux at first is like eating a raw lemon. It is a bitter journey. And soon you learn that you can add sugar and other spices in there and eventually it starts tasting good. Occasionally you still mess a thing or two but in the end, after learning enough you can't live enough. And soon you have a ton of quality of life scripts and daemons that make your life easy and the use of computer more effective than using windows.

ps. If the dependencies and etc. are correct - VLC will run perfectly.


I'm still outside the lemon store, lusting after lemons, but not knowing how to obtain, or use them..
10633 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
honestly, i don't see how using linux will make you more productive as opposed to using windows. unless if you're a programmer or something. even the small time you gain from booting a bit faster is offset by the time spent fixing broken drivers or programs that simply refuse to work or update through the terminal.
71800 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / A nice safe dista...
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16
I'm old school Linux user. I still remember loading Slackware Linux from dozens or more of floppy disks.

I would recommend starting with standard Ubuntu or Fedora workstation. There is plenty of help available online.

Yes, Linux is still a pain to install 15% of the time and the commercial software and games are still missing.

But you are in control of what is loaded on your system and the information you share with the world.

zuzma 
53168 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16
I have no idea why people seem to suggest mint to other people (maybe because it's kinda like windows?). Ubuntu or fedora are a way better option
Posted 2/28/16
Linux is like a toy for techheads.
27275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16

Rujikin wrote:

> Implying windows works without issues



Nobody implied that.

What was implied was that Linux is an even bigger pain in the ass for people who don't normally use it.


zuzma wrote:

I have no idea why people seem to suggest mint to other people (maybe because it's kinda like windows?). Ubuntu or fedora are a way better option


About 5 out of 10 previous times I've tried Linux it was done trying on Ubuntu.

Still a pain in the ass, still made me go back to Windows
27275 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16

conikettu wrote:

Linux at first is like eating a raw lemon. It is a bitter journey. And soon you learn that you can add sugar and other spices in there and eventually it starts tasting good. Occasionally you still mess a thing or two but in the end, after learning enough you can't live enough. And soon you have a ton of quality of life scripts and daemons that make your life easy and the use of computer more effective than using windows.

ps. If the dependencies and etc. are correct - VLC will run perfectly.


Yes if things are correct then of course they run...........

Then why are things are so more often to be correct and just work "out of the box" on Windows when in Linux you have to jump through seemingly a billion loops just to have it STILL not work?

How come VLC tells me I have the latest version when I don't? Why a whole load of different programs have more functionality on Windows while only presents a gimped version on Linux? (f.lux being a good example)

To me, Linux is like reaching into a bag that's promised to be filled with bars of chocolates only to grab on to pieces of shit in the process


cschoppe wrote:

I'm old school Linux user. I still remember loading Slackware Linux from dozens or more of floppy disks.

I would recommend starting with standard Ubuntu or Fedora workstation. There is plenty of help available online.

Yes, Linux is still a pain to install 15% of the time and the commercial software and games are still missing.

But you are in control of what is loaded on your system and the information you share with the world.



I think you know Mint, and how it's supposed to be even simpler than Ubuntu

Actually Mint IS Ubuntu in a way

Last 5 out of 10 times I've tried Linux, I did it in Ubuntu and it was STILL a pain


pw242 wrote:

Thanks to the OP, it needs to be said. Every time I try to use Linux it's the same story.

It doesn't work.
"Oh, you just need to use giyas v5.6.0.2.1 to fix that"
Tried it, doesn't work.
"Well of course not! You're using an out of date yerflup! Just type 'flub nup gin /s 56 puks' and it will be cool!"
Tried that, it said it's missing 'burhfplof'.
"LOL, that old saw! Just download the source to the latest patch and recompile the binaries."

And it goes on and on and on....


Oh yes, it's supposed to be really simple, really clean, really everything you've dreamed it to be........ unless you're just a regular consumer.

Desktop Linux to this day is still not really "consumer grade".
17065 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Fredericton, NB
Offline
Posted 2/28/16

Ranwolf wrote:


KnightOfZero1991 wrote:

It is what it is I guess. Windows is slower because it has like a million contingencies for everything in its coding.

Linux is faster because it doesn't bother with that. Drawback is when you need something that isn't built into its coding, you gotta work for it which is kinda a pain.


Yeah cause a boot time of what.. four or five extra seconds is totally not worth a backup plan...I'll never understand the logic behind that myself. I mean everyone with half a brain likes having a backup plan.


If you think the boot-up time is all, you're sadly mistaken. Applications loaded faster, games ran smoother, that's just the start really. But personally the extra work just to get everything running isn't worth it in my opinion, but to those who are super tech savvy it might.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.