First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Slaughters with weapons other than guns
18902 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/29/16
Ban People, they are dangerous!
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16

kennk5 wrote:
Hard to tell if you are "pro" or "con" to my statement.
neither, as banning would ruin many things and such with USA where so many nearly need a gun to defend from another gun/gun fight.

Restrictions I do like, and I wish America could have more of them so you don't have childish crap over at campuses making them like "wild gooses" and rules/demands changed/abused/plot holes.. XP (everyone loves plot holes? XD)


(So all I said was yes if they did so I would think the criminals had to do things that would also worsen themselfs/others)
kennk5 
60056 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
66 / M / Milwaukee, Wiscon...
Offline
Posted 2/28/16

Jamming777 wrote:

Ban People, they are dangerous!


Now here is a comment that rings of truth even if added for fun.
25020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
"The Troubles (Irish: Na Trioblóidí) is the common name for the ethno-nationalist conflict in Northern Ireland during the late 20th century, which spilled over at times into parts of the Republic of Ireland, England and mainland Europe. The conflict began in the late 1960s and is deemed by many to have ended with the Belfast "Good Friday" Agreement of 1998, although there has been sporadic violence since then."

Total casualties, 50,000+.

Wanna know how many of those were killed using legally obtained weapons? None. Banning those guns and explosives REALLY helped.


Don't let ANYONE try to fool you into thinking that banning access to firearms is in anyway going to reduce violent crime. It will often reduce gun crime figures but not violent crime as a whole. The UK, despite strict gun laws, has a higher per capita homicide AND violent crime rate than the USA.
Meanwhile Switzerland, which has a 25% gun ownership, has one of the lowest violent crime rates in the World with a total of 41 intentional homicides in 2011.

Guns have nothing to do with it. Mouth breathing, oxygen thieves do. Switzerland has National Service so every gun owner is trained to handle a firearm. If you had to undergo training and some form of test to be able to use firearms in other countries (akin to oh I don't know, motor vehicles?!) then the problem would dry up a lot quicker than outright banning them.

Lets face it, there are people you wouldn't trust to peel a potato without injuring themselves so why let them have a gun without checking to see if they can sneeze without shitting themselves first? Meanwhile there are people I'd fully trust with a firearm.

I am pro gun but very heavily pro regulation just for clarification. Guns are harmless until you give them to a person so regulate who can get them not what they can get when they can.
37319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
The point my post is making

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/outside-americas-knives-are-often-weapon-choice-homicides-180949953/?no-ist

Is that even when guns are hard to get. Even when guns cannot be obtained, people will still find a way to kill. Criminals are not affected by gun bans, they'll find a way to buy a gun, but even when they cannot buy a gun, a knife is what they will buy. China is has been working on KNIFE CONTROL laws, because in China, it's probably impossible to get a gun, and people are killing each other over there, with knives.

If there were zero guns available in the United States, then all of those gun murders could be replaced with knives. You all know that is the point I was trying to make, but you're so brainwashed with the idea of "guns kill", that you miss the obvious, the gun is the tool. It's they individual behind the gun that killed. If the gun tool was not available, they would have chosen knives. If knives were effectively controlled or banned (good luck with that, China), then it would be baseball bats, hammers, two by fours, a broken bottle, scissors.

Since way before guns were made, people have been slaughtering each other. It was knives and swords back in the day. When guns were first invented, they were absolutely ineffective. Knives were a serious problem. Over time guns got better and more effective, and were more cool. Knives fell out of favor. Some countries banned guns (China for example), murder rates are still a problem, they use knives.

I argue that if guns in the U.S. were all gone, that if guns were never invented, then it would be knives, swords, clubs, maces, poles, staffs, anything that people could imagine using as a weapon.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-knife-crime-capital-revealed-5865958

In Iceland, out of every 100 people, 30 of them own guns.... Zero murders committed with guns.... Now that's something! Then murders in Iceland are committed by some other means.... In Germany, 26% of the murders are done with guns. The other 74% of the murders are committed with......

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/2519/1/Iceland-Tied-for-15-15-nations-with-the-highest-gun-ownership.html
37319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/29/16

Dark_Alma wrote:

Knives kill more people than RIFLES. A rifle isn't every firearm. Correct me if I am wrong.

Knives kill more than ASSAULT RIFLES. Read above. Lets combine the two under the title of guns. Lets add handguns too.

3 of these are in China. China has stricter gun laws. Less gun violence. Coincidence? I think NOT!

I heard of the top one.

You gotta try harder if you want to put on a concrete case. Yea knives may out-kill a single gun type... but put all the gun types together and it far surpasses it.

I will leave you with a quote. "98% of Statistics are a lie." This is because data can easily be manipulated. You gave me a great example with 2 of the links. Assault rifles and rifles. Forget shotguns, handguns, etc. Don't forget though, a majority of shootings are done WITH handguns. So you cut out a good portion of the stuff.

Come on man, try harder. I really want a good debate here.


You are mischaracterizing the point of that article. The point of the article was not that they were trying to down play how rifles are less dangerous than knives, the article is saying that politicians and special interest groups are singling out rifles. A sincere person would not single out any one type of firearms. Those groups have it in against a particular type of firearm, even though it accounts for a small fraction of the total murders that have been committed. That is insincere.

Also, those other groups are ignoring the fact, that even if long arms were banned, the number of murders would not go down. The people with hate and murder in their hearts will just choose something else to do their crimes.

You also missed the point, which is, that even in the absence of guns, mass killings still happen. I'm saying that even if all guns were banned, and law abiding citizens refrained from getting guns, criminals will still have guns, and that law abiding citizens who snap and go off the deep end will then turn to other means, knives for example, to do their killings. Those murder numbers will not go down. They will stay the same. What will change is the weapon used more frequently. This is why China is working on knife control laws...
28224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/29/16 , edited 2/29/16

DeadlyOats wrote:
People say slaughters can't happen with knives.... Oh yeah?


No one died and it turned out there were no serious injuries. No one was even stabbed. Only slashed. I don't think you know what the word "slaughter" means.

Also you started your post with a strawman argument.

Finally, you posted a quote of someone else's existing thread as your own new topic.
37319 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 2/29/16

runec wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:
People say slaughters can't happen with knives.... Oh yeah?


No one died and it turned out there were no serious injuries. No one was even stabbed. Only slashed. I don't think you know what the word "slaughter" means.

Also you started your post with a strawman argument.

Finally, you posted a quote of someone else's existing thread as your own new topic.


You ignored the entire topic, completely.
27244 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 2/29/16 , edited 2/29/16
Nobody said people can't be killed with knives. It's just way easier with guns.

Yeah, a gun restriction should apply for all types of guns unless there are specific weapons with safety features or other features that make them more difficult to use. Something with full-auto or semi-auto capabilities is probably able to kill more people than a bolt-action rifle or some sort of antique musket lol
6315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Hongdae
Offline
Posted 2/29/16
Gun Fanatics - *Heavy Debating*
72 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Terra
Offline
Posted 2/29/16
Guns are tools. Either used in the purposes of hunting, self defense, or offense. It is neither good or evil it is simply a tool. You can kill an individual with any object imaginable.
28224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/29/16

DeadlyOats wrote:
You ignored the entire topic, completely.


No, I didn't. You made a strawman argument ( "People say-" ) and cited an example that effectively contradicts your own argument. While likewise creating a duplicate thread, as you are well aware, seeing as you quoted the op of that thread to create this thread.

This is a meaningless thread with a meaningless argument based on a logical fallacy. If you must screech at the world from within the rusty confines of your own confirmation bias, at least try to keep it all in one thread. ;p
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 2/29/16

ThatguyWill wrote:

Guns are tools. Either used in the purposes of hunting, self defense, or offense. It is neither good or evil it is simply a tool. You can kill an individual with any object imaginable.


This basically and anyone still arguing the gun versus knife versus killing thing hasn't seen a single day of combat much less had a single iota of training. I saw a man killed with a freaking clump of dirt once, dirt for fuck sakes.
Posted 2/29/16
Anything can be used as a weapon

Depends on how effective tho.

However banning things isn't going to help... By a ton at least.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 2/29/16 , edited 2/29/16

SylveonLuna wrote:
Anything can be used as a weapon
was using dirt bombs since 1969
It was super effective!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.