First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Deja Vu
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/29/16
What's up everybody I've been watching Asterisk Wars and Demon Lord Damio and started feeling a little deja vu because Asterisk Wars seems like Blade Dance of Elements with science instead of magic and Demon Lord Damio is Trinity 7 with a different backstory. I love all 4 of these shows but was just wondering if anybody else noticed?

I have added this paragraph to thank Swaggercandy for seeing one goal I had with this post and to also clarify that the question I asked was meant to start a fun what if conversion or compare similarities and differences and talk about other shows with similar instances.
104009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 2/28/16
Generic battle harem.

1515 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16

AnimeKami wrote:

Generic battle harem.


This.
24867 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Bay Area
Online
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/29/16
You should watch the first episode of Asterisk War, Chivalry of a Failed Knight, and Anti-Magic Academy.
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
There are battle harems that don't remind me of any of these shows but if you watched AW and BDE than you should notice that not only are there distinct character copies (i.e. hair color and personality seem to go together) but even the names are too close to call a coincidence. Still not complaining just saying as anime fans we gotta be able to tell the difference between generic similarities and what seems to be an alternate or parallel universe. Probably not but fun to consider, no?
25020 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Northern Ireland
Offline
Posted 2/28/16

AnimeKami wrote:

Generic battle harem.



Yupidy doo da. Copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste.

Not all harems are generic battle harems but when they are they make you think you are clairvoyant, they are that copy paste,
104009 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / This Dying World
Online
Posted 2/28/16

MacMeaties wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

Generic battle harem.



Yupidy doo da. Copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste, copy paste.

Not all harems are generic battle harems but when they are they make you think you are clairvoyant, they are that copy paste,


Did you copy paste, copy paste comma?
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/16
Why would you call them generic? All four can not be generic because AW only reminds me of BDE (haven't seen the two that were suggested) and KDK only reminds me of T7. AW ONLY gives me deja vu when the action stops and the conversations begin while KDK is the exact opposite so they didn't just copy and paste. I don't find BDE generic or T7 so maybe that's why I feel the same about the other two but you can't just call it generic because of deja vu it happens in real life all the time and art imitates life. I haven't been disappointed in the unexpected event department, when I stop being surprised I might as well watch American tv and movies where I always know what's gonna happen talk about copy and paste. Like I said before I love these shows, just thought the deja vu was fun and funny.
61385 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16
Mr. Smorgasborg,

Are you a relatively new anime fan? Perhaps in the range of 2-5 years? As you watch anime for longer, you'll have that feeling more and more often. Just like American TV and movies, anime tends to be predictable. Even though I love it, I feel like anime is even more predictable than American video media. When one starts watch anime, it's all so new and exotic! But then you start to notice that the people who produce anime are very risk-averse and tend to recycle the same set of cliche tropes over and over again. Even the twists start to get predictable! In the beginning you're just not that aware of the tropes.

In the end you just get used to it...

26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/28/16 , edited 2/28/16
I'm 27 been watching and loving anime since I was 9 if not younger I love anime and these two pairs of shows have been the first to give me deja vu in these unique ways. I made this post to have a fun discussion about the similarities and differences or to poke fun either way figured it'd be fun but ya'll make me sad it sounds to me that you have lost the love. Yes a show can be or get predictable but that's because alot their shows come from their folklore we haave no excuse every American tv show and movie I guess seeing less than half but 9 times out of 10 anime either makes me guess wrong or second guess myself. Ya'll don't sound experienced you sound disenchanted.
Posted 2/29/16

Swaggercandy wrote:

You should watch the first episode of Asterisk War, Chivalry of a Failed Knight, and Anti-Magic Academy.

After watching all 3 while airing, I mixed the plots up with each other. It got so bad I had to drop them all.
26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/29/16
Well I probably wouldn't have watched AW and BDE at the same time to be honest.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/29/16 , edited 2/29/16
There for a second I though you said Deja Fu


TheSurrenderable wrote:


Swaggercandy wrote:

You should watch the first episode of Asterisk War, Chivalry of a Failed Knight, and Anti-Magic Academy.

After watching all 3 while airing, I mixed the plots up with each other. It got so bad I had to drop them all.

That's too bad. Chivalry of a Failed Knight was one of the best shows of the season, and most certainly not a harem.




2604 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Whale Island
Offline
Posted 2/29/16 , edited 2/29/16

DJ_Smorgasborg wrote:

What's up everybody I've been watching Asterisk Wars and Demon Lord Damio and started feeling a little deja vu because Asterisk Wars seems like Blade Dance of Elements with science instead of magic and Demon Lord Damio is Trinity 7 with a different backstory. I love all 4 of these shows but was just wondering if anybody else noticed?

I have added this paragraph to thank Swaggercandy for seeing one goal I had with this post and to also clarify that the question I asked was meant to start a fun what if conversion or compare similarities and differences and talk about other shows with similar instances.


Cannot say i have seen these shows myself but it does make me think of one factor that might sway someone else when giving their input and that is what order they watched the shows like which one they watched first then second even if they watched episode 1 of each show then episode 2 i feel this would play a part in answering. I am guilty of comparing shows that are similar to my all time favourite even though i should be rating it and judging that show on it own merits is anyone else guilty of this ?

26 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 2/29/16
I'm so bad sometimes I do it across genre's, when I hit a few episodes in a row that make me slow down then I compare it to my top ten.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.