First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply A Tiny House For Big Living
30152 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / U.S.
Offline
Posted 3/7/16
Actually, heating the entirety of that small space would be easier, but there's no room for a furnace like you'd find in a normal house.
I think it's smart to pay attention to the principles of small home living (like decluttering), but living in a super small space itself is impractical.
6090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / US
Offline
Posted 3/7/16

I first saw these on a Good Mythical Morning episode.
Posted 3/7/16
I wouldn't mind at all
23008 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
52 / M / Bay Area
Offline
Posted 3/7/16
I could live in small house but needs to be cool like a tree house has to have character



4510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 3/7/16 , edited 3/7/16
I'm liking the tree houses. I think I could manage to live in a tiny home but it would be bigger than the one the OP put. However I'd have to be somewhere with a mild climate and lots of available outside space. It would have to be proper legal space. We don't really have the option to have a tiny house in the UK. The few places that will allow them don't tend to let you live in them all year round. It's holiday homes. Tax wise you won't be able to spend less so you might as well have a regular size home. You can't just put up a tiny house on your own land or a relative's land either because planning permission law does not allow that. They'd come and bulldoze it plus fine you for breaking rules. What you can do live in a narrow boat in a mooring spot in the canals.

See here.
http://www.canaljunction.com/boat/liveaboard1.htm

Mooring places are in short supply and they're getting more expensive. If you're willing to be a nomad and move often then you won't have to pay a mooring rent.




https://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/narrowboat-blog/2014/01/the-secret-of-living-cheaply-in-london/
37443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/7/16

eceauvian wrote:

Actually, heating the entirety of that small space would be easier, but there's no room for a furnace like you'd find in a normal house.
I think it's smart to pay attention to the principles of small home living (like decluttering), but living in a super small space itself is impractical.


Your heating bill will be surprisingly high, and cooling too. There's no insulation, and the roof is a heat/cold conduit. Sun blasting the roof, overheats interior in summer months... Snow on roof sucks up internal heat. Plus there seems to be no wall insulation.... You could tell from the thinness of those walls, and the windows are not double paned, so.... no insulation...

I guess, opening windows and doors to let in a cooling breeze (and the flying insects), and having a ton of money for your heating bill in the winter could work....
35140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Offline
Posted 3/7/16

scoobydew wrote:

I could live in small house but needs to be cool like a tree house has to have character





I hate to tell you, but that first picture is not a tiny house. A tree house, yes, but it looks just like an almost full size house set in the trees.
35140 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Seireitei, Soul S...
Offline
Posted 3/7/16 , edited 3/7/16
As for me, I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want to live in something that's smaller than my current two-bedroom apartment. I don't mind small regular houses or living spaces, but I do need room to breath and have my own space. Even if I lived alone a small house like that would be too small for me, so no thanks. I do think that it's great for the people who it does work for though.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/7/16 , edited 3/7/16

BlackRose0607 wrote:

As for me, I'm sorry, but I wouldn't want to live in something that's smaller than my current two-bedroom apartment. I don't mind small regular houses or living spaces, but I do need room to breath and have my own space. Even if I lived alone a small house like that would be too small for me, so no thanks. I do think that it's great for the people who it does work for though.


It's fine. I wouldn't live there neither.
21860 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / The Bahamas
Offline
Posted 3/7/16
No I would not live in a tiny house. My bedroom is roughly the size of two tiny houses and there is no way I'm going to try and live in a space that was the size of my dorm in college. I can understand people wanting to simplify their lives, but for me it's a no go.
3383 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / South Florida
Offline
Posted 3/23/16
400 square feet would be it. So long as I have good insulation, utilities, High Speed Internet, etc... then sure.
37443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/23/16

ForCom5 wrote:

400 square feet would be it. So long as I have good insulation, utilities, High Speed Internet, etc... then sure.



That's a smidge smaller than my actual apartment.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/23/16

DeadlyOats wrote:


ForCom5 wrote:

400 square feet would be it. So long as I have good insulation, utilities, High Speed Internet, etc... then sure.



That's a smidge smaller than my actual apartment.


Really?
37443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 3/23/16 , edited 3/23/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


DeadlyOats wrote:


ForCom5 wrote:

400 square feet would be it. So long as I have good insulation, utilities, High Speed Internet, etc... then sure.



That's a smidge smaller than my actual apartment.


Really?


My math sucks.... I got it wrong... That's slightly more than twice as big as my apartment. My place is about 15' X 12' = 180 square feet...
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 3/23/16
That house does look really nice. It would be okay if you wanted a minimalist lifestyle and didn't have that much stuff. But I have a huge collection of anime and manga merchandise, so I need room for that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.