First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
I've been wondering something - how come religion or atheism isn't viewed as a mental illness?
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/6/16 , edited 3/6/16
Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches.



The "What if God does not Exist" threas brought something to my attention. I know this is a stupid question but it's something I have to ask because it keeps staying on my mind.

Ever since I was young I always had the trouble in whether I should believe in God or not. But as I grew older I tried not to care about whether god exist or not. Yeat I can't help but question for the longest time about people's reasoning for believing in god or not. Then it hit me when I was place in a mental institution. We have all these mental illnesses how come some professional people don't view believing in religion or god as one of them. Pretty much some people view believing in god and religion as a form of an mental illness. The person is distant from reality and believes in something that is just a figment of their imagination. People often tell you that isn't healthy to live such a lifestyle.

Yet it is strange because some people view atheism as a mental illness as well. In other words, humanity knows nothihng once again. Even the sanest atheist looks mentally healthy but not believing in a god makes them come off as insane to some people. Why is that?

But it's so weird because the sanest person who looks mentally healthy is religious. So it really makes you wonder about some people and religion itself. So my question to everyone is, how come religion or atheism isn't viewed as a mental illness?


I take all unpopular opinions right here right now.

Bonus Questions:

1) What makes believing in god different from having an imaginary friend?

2) Is there difference between religion and mental illness?

3) Why would not believing in god or religion make you mentally ill?

3265 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Everywhere
Offline
Posted 3/6/16
Someone's religious beliefs (or lack thereof) are usually based on their view of how the universe works: Was everything created by a higher power, or does it just happen by chance? Both sides have valid points, it just depends on your personal beliefs. The only time "mental illness" is really involved is when someone takes their beliefs way too far, or they severely dislike the other side and cite insanity as the cause of that side's beliefs.
Posted 3/6/16
I question if our current idea of what mental illness or insanity is since it's highly contextual depending on the times and the people who you ask in those times, with the ushering of psychotherapists and psychologist there was a power exchange from religious institutions where they basically took their place but there just doing the same sort of thing, however now we have science to prove our ideals of what we should and shouldn't be, trying to form everyone into this ideal way of life which is just more bondage and usually is just more imagination. where as before in religion it came from probably a few individuals experiences of what was correct for them but people latched onto those idea's and ignored their own.

I will say that I view most mental illnesses not as illnesses to be cured or some evil to be banished, but as a stagnation of a certain state of mind that's probably was appropriate for that person originally but for whatever reason they couldn't let go of that particular view and are thus stuck. Some states really limiting to the point of being incapable of doing things, others not so much.

So who knows religious or spiritual people may or may not be labeled as mentally ill it just depends on the times, but the same goes for atheism or different sub-sects of atheism.


1.)What makes a difference is a large lineage of continued belief and uphold of a tradition based on a select gathering of ancient texts into a book, based on the opinion of a select group of people, that were originally based on someones personal experience. I think it chalks down to the amount of people ascribing to a certain label but also whether or not as a society we see them as harmful.

Also I'm not saying anything is right or wrong/good or bad with any religions or texts that's not really up to me, or even necessary for me to say, but for you to decide for yourself.

42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/6/16

FruitPunchSamurai987 wrote:

Someone's religious beliefs (or lack thereof) are usually based on their view of how the universe works: Was everything created by a higher power, or does it just happen by chance? Both sides have valid points, it just depends on your personal beliefs. The only time "mental illness" is really involved is when someone takes their beliefs way too far, or they severely dislike the other side and cite insanity as the cause of that side's beliefs.


So, by taking your beliefs too far, you're considered mentally ill?
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/6/16

potentsativa wrote:

I question if our current idea of what mental illness or insanity is since it's highly contextual depending on the times and the people who you ask in those times, with the ushering of psychotherapists and psychologist there was a power exchange from religious institutions where they basically took their place but there just doing the same sort of thing, however now we have science to prove our ideals of what we should and shouldn't be, trying to form everyone into this ideal way of life which is just more bondage and usually is just more imagination. where as before in religion it came from probably a few individuals experiences of what was correct for them but people latched onto those idea's and ignored their own.

I will say that I view most mental illnesses not as illnesses to be cured or some evil to be banished, but as a stagnation of a certain state of mind that's probably was appropriate for that person originally but for whatever reason they couldn't let go of that particular view and are thus stuck. Some states really limiting to the point of being incapable of doing things, others not so much.

So who knows religious or spiritual people may or may not be labeled as mentally ill it just depends on the times, but the same goes for atheism or different sub-sects of atheism.


1.)What makes a difference is a large lineage of continued belief and uphold of a tradition based on a select gathering of ancient texts into a book, based on the opinion of a select group of people, that were originally based on someones personal experience. I think it chalks down to the amount of people ascribing to a certain label but also whether or not as a society we see them as harmful.

Also I'm not saying anything is right or wrong/good or bad with any religions or texts that's not really up to me, or even necessary for me to say, but for you to decide for yourself.



So, you're not really sure yourself?
Posted 3/6/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


potentsativa wrote:

I question if our current idea of what mental illness or insanity is since it's highly contextual depending on the times and the people who you ask in those times, with the ushering of psychotherapists and psychologist there was a power exchange from religious institutions where they basically took their place but there just doing the same sort of thing, however now we have science to prove our ideals of what we should and shouldn't be, trying to form everyone into this ideal way of life which is just more bondage and usually is just more imagination. where as before in religion it came from probably a few individuals experiences of what was correct for them but people latched onto those idea's and ignored their own.

I will say that I view most mental illnesses not as illnesses to be cured or some evil to be banished, but as a stagnation of a certain state of mind that's probably was appropriate for that person originally but for whatever reason they couldn't let go of that particular view and are thus stuck. Some states really limiting to the point of being incapable of doing things, others not so much.

So who knows religious or spiritual people may or may not be labeled as mentally ill it just depends on the times, but the same goes for atheism or different sub-sects of atheism.


1.)What makes a difference is a large lineage of continued belief and uphold of a tradition based on a select gathering of ancient texts into a book, based on the opinion of a select group of people, that were originally based on someones personal experience. I think it chalks down to the amount of people ascribing to a certain label but also whether or not as a society we see them as harmful.

Also I'm not saying anything is right or wrong/good or bad with any religions or texts that's not really up to me, or even necessary for me to say, but for you to decide for yourself.



So, you're not really sure yourself?


Yea, I'm not sure cause the question answers itself (or rather is irrelevant to answer), cause it doesn't really have a consistent/definite answer. That's not to say it's a dumb or stupid question, that's not what I'm getting at. It has value and is worthwhile to look into but I wouldn't expect to arrive to a definite conclusion.
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/6/16


Sorry, I really didn't know how to explain the question properly.
Posted 3/6/16

qualeshia3 wrote:



Sorry, I really didn't know how to explain the question properly.


It's fine you articulated the question well, it's just that these types of question don't have an answer, nor do they need an answer imo.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 3/6/16
Neither is a mental illness. That's just born from the venom that the lower theists and atheists to spit at each other for daring to question the other's views.

Both have the many who are just blind followers but I would personally advocate that there is a staggeringly larger amount of blind followers in faith in comparison to the atheist community percentage wise. When I was a Christian, I as a blind faith follower. I learned what I was told and did not push the status-quo.

Most of the christians believe because they're afraid not to beieve. Whether it's because of their fear of mortality or fear of eternal suffering. More are followers because there are so many that already follow so it HAS to be true. Only the few truly believe jn a divine being unfathomably, they have read the bible through and through and have decided for themselves that they believe god to be real. I have no malice for people who have done their own research and came to conclusion of god. I actually respect them.

I searched for god once. I came out empty handed, so I'm an atheist. As a matter of fact, I believe that if there even was a god to be found he would have no reason to even care about us. Which is pretty evident considering how far many have gone to observe him but have not found even a sliver of evidence. I'm apathetic, as whether or not god exists doesn't really concern me. I care about god just as much as he would care about me if he did exist.
64447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / US
Offline
Posted 3/6/16

qualeshia3 wrote:

Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches.



Bonus Questions:

1) What makes believing in god different from having an imaginary friend?

2) Is there difference between religion and mental illness?

3) Why would not believing in god or religion make you mentally ill?



First, let’s define a few things:

Evidence suggests that a thing may be true.

Proof confirms that a thing IS true.

Faith is the belief that a thing is true without proof (not necessarily without evidence).

A religion is a core set of beliefs about human existence and the nature of the universe.

A Church is an organization one can join, usually in which all members share the same religion. It can be joined or changed because it is simply a club membership.

What one actually believes is one's religion and honestly-held beliefs are not simply changed at a whim. Everyone has a religion, even if it is not defined by a church, because everyone has some concept of existence or purpose. This does NOT mean that everyone believes in a higher power - but that everyone believes something - even if that belief is that there is nothing else.

Science is a PROCESS for logically evaluating phenomenon. One observes a phenomenon, then one hypothesizes about the nature of the phenomenon, then one performs 1 - controlled 2 - documented 3 - repeatable experimentation to prove or disprove the hypothesis. Based on evidence gathered from the experimentation, the hypothesis may be modified and the process repeated. If something can be experimentally proven, it becomes known as a "law" of science. If there is evidence for, but not proof of a thing, then it may be upgraded from a "hypothesis" to a "theory."

But Even scientific "laws" are subject to change as we advance - for example measuring the influence of gravity was not possible until instruments sensitive enough were developed to time falling objects. To the naked eye, everything falls at the same rate in a vacuum, but in truth the mass of the dropped object influences gravitational acceleration, but the Earth is so massive compared to anything we can drop that the influence is functionally negligible. A good scientist is always both skeptical and open-minded in that they distrust any hearsay but will re-evaluate anything given new evidence. Religion and science are NOT mutually exclusive because science is a method, not a set of facts-and-figures.

Human life is finite. No one alive today was around for the beginning of the world. The universe is vast and possibly even infinite. With our current level of technology, there is absolutely NO WAY WHATSOEVER to prove the big bang or evolution (though there is EVIDENCE for it) and there is no way to prove the existence of God (though many claim there is EVIDENCE of that too). Particle accelerators, mathematical equations and deep-space telescopes do bring new data on a lot of things, but that data is being interpreted as evidence where it might not actually be valid (see above on scientific laws changing). Believing in the big bang requires just as much faith as believing in God or Buddha or reincarnation.

Atheism is a religious belief - it comes from the words for "anti-theism" which means that it is the belief that there are no gods (monotheism is the belief in a single God, polytheism is the belief in multiple gods). People who simultaneously call themselves "scientists" while refusing to believe in the possibility of God are nothing but religious zealots of a different religion. Neither view can be experimentally proven and both views require faith. Militant atheists who throw terms like "mental illness" around are nothing but religious zealots who do not care about the truth, they care about feeling superior. It is the same old "us-vs-them" bullshit that has been going on for millennia.

I believe it was Aristotle who said, "To be able to entertain an idea without necessarily accepting it is the sign of an educated mind." People who throw around terms like "mental illness" when referencing another's belief do not care about reality. They do not have keen minds. They are tiny-minded insecure zealots focused on being superior to others. Christianity vs. the pagans, Christianity vs. Islam, Christianity vs. the Jews, and now Atheism vs. everything else. I don't trust anyone who cannot consider the possibility that they might be wrong. Only a fool has no doubts.

Asking about religion as a mental illness is insulting, and it shows your immaturity. Of course believing in a god, or reincarnation, or the big bang is NOT a mental illness. People from different backgrounds see things differently and come to different conclusions in their own minds - that is all. Most people believe in space without seeing it. Most people believe in Jupiter without a telescope. I believe in air without seeing it. Belief is NOT an illness.

And I'll throw out two purely pragmatic things:
1) There have been numerous case studies done in which highly religious people survived horrific circumstances (such as war, abuse, rape, etc.) with less psychological damage than non-believers in the same circumstance. Many reviewing this data believe that it is merely that having hope increases a person's mental fortitude, but either way it is EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE OF MENTAL ILLNESS.
2) If you believe in God and are wrong - well, you might have missed an opportunity to do some dirty deeds in life, but when you die it is the same oblivion as everyone else. If you believe in nothing and are wrong, your prospects are not as good.

Believe whatever you wish. Only you can change your own mind. But remember that bullies, zealots and bigots who insult and put down others are always wrong no matter what side they believe in.

Humms 
10572 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 3/6/16 , edited 3/6/16
You don't need to think about it, your first mistake is thinking about it. There is no such thing as anything if you believe there isn't.

God is simply what we have created. If we never spoke of him we would never know about his existence, just like anything we aren't introduced to we go about our merry way.

Believing and not believing are two completely different outcomes. We aren't talking about insanity and sanity, because believing and not believing in God is simply a choice, this has nothing to do with a person's mental state. If you believe that to be true then you are simply labeling someone as ill by traditional standards on the basis of religion, religious values, or non belief.

Just because someone believes in a false reality, that doesn't make them insane. The reason we don't see this as being a mental illness is because it doesn't exist in the first place, people have just claimed it to be a part of our world because humanity believes that God has the power to create wealth and prosper, which is a staple in this day and age.

Short and sweet- there is no God, and I can voice my opinion because being an Atheist means the disbelief in God. I am neither insane nor am I mentally ill because of my answer, and I don't believe that the ones who believe in God are mentally ill, they simply believe in a false idol that defends most of their actions, because they would rather take the easy way out and force their opinions based on what God has deemed to be the right answer to everything, and ultimately not using logic as the answer behind truth and justice.

I would rather write about God like figures because it is our imagination that allows such power to flow through our minds. Why would I begin to believe in them truthfully?
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/6/16 , edited 3/6/16

potentsativa wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:



Sorry, I really didn't know how to explain the question properly.


It's fine you articulated the question well, it's just that these types of question don't have an answer, nor do they need an answer imo.


Thank you.
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/6/16 , edited 3/6/16


In short, religion and mental illnesses have nothing in common?
18092 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
16 / F
Offline
Posted 3/6/16
It's a matter of fact, that If you start a topic about religion, you're not going to get the most nice replies.

-..... I always write this
42443 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/6/16

Nasirei wrote:

It's a matter of fact, that If you start a topic about religion, you're not going to get the most nice replies.

-..... I always write this


Meh.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.