Post Reply Ano hana broken?
5013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/10/16
So I started watching ano hana, and I noticed right off the bat the show was only in 480p (which is weird, i've seen it in 720p) and the subs are very badly done. They are not synced quite right. I noticed the top rated comment on the first episode mentions this very thing?

What is going on? I thought the subs for crunchyroll were professionally done, or atleast done in a style that would be befitting of a professional job. It made it almost unwatchable, it was distracting enough for me to have to look elsewhere to watch it. I wouldn't normally complain but ... damn when you pay a sub you atleast expect them to work.


Any thoughts, or has just no one brought this up before? Can it be fixed?

I'm in general very happy with the site, and my subscription to it, and this issue does not effect that at all, but ... come on
Der Zoodirektor
23373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/10/16
Which episode exactly is affected?
5013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/11/16 , edited 3/11/16
The first episode was all I was able to make it through, the issue was distracting enough to prevent me from watching it any further. The subtitles themselves end before the character has finished speaking, quite often a character will be in mid sentence and there will be no subtitles to be seen, leading to confusion as to what is being said exactly.

The quality is also very subpar at 480p, when many of the fansub releases are atleast 720p, that struck me as odd. It's an issue that was annoying, but don't get me wrong.. CR is great, but it was dismaying to see such a lazy copy of what i'm told is a fantastic show.

If you look in the first episode comments, the highest rated comment is referring to the problem as well.
42634 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 3/11/16
You can put this on Aniplex, I think. This is the third title I know about from that publisher that is limited to 480p, the others being /gurren-lagann and the first season of /bakemonogatari.

For whatever reason all of these are only available here in 480p (even though the rest of the monogatari series are all available in 1080p). My best guess is that those titles were distributed to CR from a DVD release instead of a Blu-Ray, because the original source material was only available to them in that way. CR can only use legit means of distribution, so it isn't germane to compare their available content to what you may find on those other "aggregator" sites.

I too wish that they could update all these older titles. It's not entirely impossible that it may happen one day, after all they did acquire higher resolution versions of the older one-piece and Toradora tiles in the not too recent past, however both those titles are distributed by different publishers, so who knows... License agreements being what they are (private business deals), we may not ever be told whether or not it will happen.
5013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/12/16

asharka wrote:

You can put this on Aniplex, I think. This is the third title I know about from that publisher that is limited to 480p, the others being /gurren-lagann and the first season of /bakemonogatari.

For whatever reason all of these are only available here in 480p (even though the rest of the monogatari series are all available in 1080p). My best guess is that those titles were distributed to CR from a DVD release instead of a Blu-Ray, because the original source material was only available to them in that way. CR can only use legit means of distribution, so it isn't germane to compare their available content to what you may find on those other "aggregator" sites.

I too wish that they could update all these older titles. It's not entirely impossible that it may happen one day, after all they did acquire higher resolution versions of the older one-piece and Toradora tiles in the not too recent past, however both those titles are distributed by different publishers, so who knows... License agreements being what they are (private business deals), we may not ever be told whether or not it will happen.


I can accept the quality thing, it makes sense, Anohana was released in 2011. It's not entirely unfeasible that the dvd source is what they licensed to CR. It's the subtitles being so off and poorly synced that really bugs me. Is there no way for CR to fix that? I recall one of the comments saying it was because they're hard subbed. These companies should be giving their very best to CR, to keep us paying and supporting the industry. I know i'm not compelled to find fansubs very often because of crunchyroll. The entire concept they have here i think would revolutionize the industry, it is clearly a much superior means of distribution and allows the millions of fans outside of japan to support them.
Der Zoodirektor
23373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/12/16

Belpheg0re wrote:

I can accept the quality thing, it makes sense, Anohana was released in 2011. It's not entirely unfeasible that the dvd source is what they licensed to CR. It's the subtitles being so off and poorly synced that really bugs me. Is there no way for CR to fix that? I recall one of the comments saying it was because they're hard subbed. These companies should be giving their very best to CR, to keep us paying and supporting the industry. I know i'm not compelled to find fansubs very often because of crunchyroll. The entire concept they have here i think would revolutionize the industry, it is clearly a much superior means of distribution and allows the millions of fans outside of japan to support them.


The source material is hardsubbed. We can't change anything regarding the subtitles.
5013 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/12/16

shinryou wrote:


Belpheg0re wrote:

I can accept the quality thing, it makes sense, Anohana was released in 2011. It's not entirely unfeasible that the dvd source is what they licensed to CR. It's the subtitles being so off and poorly synced that really bugs me. Is there no way for CR to fix that? I recall one of the comments saying it was because they're hard subbed. These companies should be giving their very best to CR, to keep us paying and supporting the industry. I know i'm not compelled to find fansubs very often because of crunchyroll. The entire concept they have here i think would revolutionize the industry, it is clearly a much superior means of distribution and allows the millions of fans outside of japan to support them.


The source material is hardsubbed. We can't change anything regarding the subtitles.


That sucks. Is there any way to request for their production company to give you guys a better version or to give them the complaint?
Der Zoodirektor
23373 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/12/16

Belpheg0re wrote:

That sucks. Is there any way to request for their production company to give you guys a better version or to give them the complaint?


If it were available, we'd receive it.
You must be logged in to post.