Post Reply Folktales from Japan discussion
992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/10/16 , edited 3/10/16

Plot Summary


Folktales from Japan (or Hometown Rebuilding: Folktales from Japan) is an anime television series that adapts various traditional stories from Japan.The narration and all character voices are provided by veteran Japanese film actors Akira Emoto and Yoneko Matsukane.

Voice actress and singer Shoko Nakagawa performs the opening and ending theme songs for the anime. Tomoyuki Okura, a member of the Japanese vocal group INSPi, wrote and composed the opening theme "Hitori no Kimi ga Umareta to sa". Okura also wrote the ending theme song "Arukou" with his fellow INSPi member Keisuke Yoshida.
(Source: Wikipedia)

Other Information

Type: TV
Episodes: 204
Status: Currently Airing
Aired: April 1, 2012 to ?
Premiered: Spring 2012
Studios: Tomason and Decovocal (?)
Genres: Children, Comedy, Drama



This world of ours is full of wonderful stories and I really love this series. As I put in my review: "Now I have 27 favorite stories. But if I tell you folks what they are, it would fill up this whole review. Of course, my top favorites are: Issunbōshi (episode #2A), The Old Woman's Skin, Princess Kaguya (episode #20A), The Mouse Adopts a Groom, The mysterious love poem, and Yamata no Orochi".

I know I must put this comment on many times, I couldn't find anywhere online the original "tale" versions of: Pond Snail Millionaire, The Old Woman's Skin, The Cat and the Teakettle Lid, Onibaba is my Matchmaker and many others.
107445 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / This Dying World
Offline
Posted 3/10/16 , edited 3/10/16
I thought we had this thread?
120433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 3/10/16 , edited 3/10/16

AnimeKami wrote:

I thought we had this thread?


I'm not sure we've ever had a thread for this. If we ever did, it's not been active for a very long time. Otherwise it would be on my Show Thread Index.

I actually watch this show pretty regularly, though there was a time I stopped watching for a long while so now I'm about 20 episodes behind. It does tend to lose my attention if I try to watch the whole 24 minute show at once though, so I tend to just watch one story (of the three per episode), per day.

It's an odd mix. I usually like the varied art (sometimes it's very beautiful), and the simple animation (it's like reading a picture book), and most of the stories are variations on the same few stories, many of which have western folkstory counterparts. But sometimes there's something that seems especially of a different tone from most of the others, and in one recent case (that I can't remember details of), it was a story that just... ended... with no point or no closure whatsoever.
992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/10/16 , edited 3/11/16

AnimeKami wrote:

I thought we had this thread?


Nope, I couldn't find one so I made this one to discussion episode impressions and favorite stories

992 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / F / Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/10/16 , edited 3/11/16

lorreen wrote:


AnimeKami wrote:

I thought we had this thread?


I'm not sure we've ever had a thread for this. If we ever did, it's not been active for a very long time. Otherwise it would be on my Show Thread Index.

I actually watch this show pretty regularly, though there was a time I stopped watching for a long while so now I'm about 20 episodes behind. It does tend to lose my attention if I try to watch the whole 24 minute show at once though, so I tend to just watch one story (of the three per episode), per day.

It's an odd mix. I usually like the varied art (sometimes it's very beautiful), and the simple animation (it's like reading a picture book), and most of the stories are variations on the same few stories, many of which have western folkstory counterparts. But sometimes there's something that seems especially of a different tone from most of the others, and in one recent case (that I can't remember details of), it was a story that just... ended... with no point or no closure whatsoever.


In my review, I mark that some animation in some stories is like "Hello Kitty's Animation Theater"

77 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / Northern Galaxy
Offline
Posted 3/8/17 , edited 3/8/17
Nobody ever talks about this show so I had to search up the thread for this...
Honestly, I feel it is very underrated.
I would have loved to have grown up with this show in my life.
I didn't stumble upon it until I was 19 or so, been watching it on and off since then.
The absolute perfect anime to watch when you want something simple, but at the same time intricate.
The art is cute, the stories are interesting, and even as an adult I find it to be quite entertaining. Not only entertaining, but as with most myths and folktales, they have morals and lessons to learn.

If I ever have kids, they will grow up watching it.
120433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 3/8/17 , edited 4/9/17

betarunner wrote:

Nobody ever talks about this show so I had to search up the thread for this...
Honestly, I feel it is very underrated.
I would have loved to have grown up with this show in my life.
I didn't stumble upon it until I was 19 or so, been watching it on and off since then.
The absolute perfect anime to watch when you want something simple, but at the same time intricate.
The art is cute, the stories are interesting, and even as an adult I find it to be quite entertaining. Not only entertaining, but as with most myths and folktales, they have morals and lessons to learn.

If I ever have kids, they will grow up watching it.


I've caught up since the last time I posted here (about a year ago) and I do now watch this every week.

There have been times watching other anime where having seen a story on Folktales from Japan paid off. If a folktale was mentioned in passing, or as part of a joke, sometimes an extended one, I "got it" because I'd seen one or more tellings of the tale on this show.


4/9/17 Just finished the first ep of the second season (yeah, I'm behind a week). They've changed the format a bit -- two stories per episode instead of three (the whole show is about three minutes shorter I think) and, at least in this episode, a mini-introduction to the second story. Also, the second story this episode was considerably more animated than has been typical for the show. Still enjoyable -- same OP and ED songs with new video, and two new live-action dancing/singing girls have appeared for the ED.

The new format will mess with my routine a little. I usually don't watch the whole episode at once, but have taken it in ~8 minute nibble throughout the week; now I guess instead of three bits spaced out over a few days, I'll have to adjust to two slightly longer pieces. It'll take getting used to.
3558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Everywhere, No Where
Online
Posted 3/5/18 , edited 3/5/18

lorreen wrote:

Still enjoyable -- same OP and ED songs with new video, and two new live-action dancing/singing girls have appeared for the ED.


I was curious if anyone else was watching this. I'm on season two but significantly behind.
I'm pretty sure the girls are the same, just older.
3315 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / F / Behind you!
Offline
Posted 3/5/18 , edited 3/5/18
I haven't watched it in a while... I tend to watch it when I need a break from all the intense, feels-heavy anime I watch. I don't even know what season I'm up to.
120433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 3/5/18 , edited 3/5/18

Nausuada wrote:


lorreen wrote:

Still enjoyable -- same OP and ED songs with new video, and two new live-action dancing/singing girls have appeared for the ED.


I was curious if anyone else was watching this. I'm on season two but significantly behind.
I'm pretty sure the girls are the same, just older.


I still watch, but I fell behind this season -- by about 4 weeks.

You know what I hate though? Fart comedy. And this show has a fair amount of that.

I think there was an episode somewhat recently though that had realy nice drawings (and no farts). Mostly we're getting the completely serviceable but basic cartoony stuff. I might have to look it up in order to share.
3558 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Everywhere, No Where
Online
Posted 3/6/18 , edited 3/6/18

BettyColtrane wrote:

I haven't watched it in a while... I tend to watch it when I need a break from all the intense, feels-heavy anime I watch. I don't even know what season I'm up to.


I do the same thing, gives my brain a break. And some of the stories are cute without being overall childish or over the top.



lorreen wrote:

I still watch, but I fell behind this season -- by about 4 weeks.

You know what I hate though? Fart comedy. And this show has a fair amount of that.

I think there was an episode somewhat recently though that had realy nice drawings (and no farts). Mostly we're getting the completely serviceable but basic cartoony stuff. I might have to look it up in order to share.


I always wondered, since so many episodes were themed around farts, if it was just openly accepted in the culture. Or if it was just being used to teach people to be more accepting of others.

Well I look forward to it then. You are quite a bit farther than I am. I really fell behind this season.
You must be logged in to post.