First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Amazon Prime To Stream Kabaneri Iron Fortress.
28281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/16
"Roy Price, head of Amazon Studios, reported on his official Twitter account in January that his company will stream Wit Studio's original television anime series Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri) on Amazon Prime Japan in April. He further confirmed that it will be available to Amazon Prime Members in the United States as well.

Price then retweeted an article by German website Animania that reported last week that Amazon has the worldwide streaming rights to the anime.

The "steampunk survival action" story takes place on the island country Hinomoto, where humans hide themselves in fortresses called stations against the threat of zombie-like beings with steel hearts known as "Kabane." Only armored locomotives known as "Hayajiro" go between the stations.

The anime is slated to premiere on April 7 during Fuji TV's Noitamina timeslot. The first episode will air at 24:25 (effectively 12:25 a.m. on April 8), while the remaining episodes will air at 24:55 (12:55 a.m.). The official website streamed the show's second promotional video last month. "

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-03-14/amazon-prime-to-stream-kabaneri-of-the-iron-fortress-anime-from-attack-on-titan-team/.99749

I really didn't see this one coming. I've been a prime member forever because I order stuff every other week and for the discounted games loll. But this sucks for some people I imagine.
56952 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 3/14/16


*cue Price Is Right losing horn*

The one streaming service I do not have.
15327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 3/14/16 , edited 3/14/16
So that's another American streaming service gobbling up worldwide rights to a series only to use it for America.

A part of me is annoyed with Amazon. But another is annoyed with the japanese licensor for just giving them the worldwide rights. Granted Amazon probably just threw a huge wad of money at them and told them to take whatever they wanted.

So yeah. Not a situation that i am happy with.

But this is probably the sign that the streaming wars are only going to get nastier as more and more step into it all wanting a piece of the cake and trying to get the entire cake so no one else gets it.
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/14/16

ImperialDane wrote:

So that's another American streaming service gobbling up worldwide rights to a series only to use it for America.

http://exstreamist.com/which-countries-is-amazon-instant-video-available-in/

Perhaps this is also a sign they are getting ready to pull off a Netflix-like 'stream in most countries' expansion. (Although that could be a year or so down the road)


15752 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 3/14/16
Well. I have been meaning to get AP for a long time now.
28281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 3/14/16
Ajin is will also be streaming on Netflix in April, I never knew they had rights to it. At least it streams right after the season ends unlike the long wait it was for Seven Deadly Sins, that better not be the same case with season 2.
15727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Venezuela
Offline
Posted 3/14/16
How sad that page Amazon Prime, only this available in a number of countries, but no matter have legal pages that are available worldwide, which are CR and Netflix.
8894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Baltimore, Maryland
Offline
Posted 3/14/16
While I expected to see Funimation get this, I have Prime either way so it's not much of a loss for me. (Though I've never used their video streaming before so I guess that'll be a surprise when it airs).

Though, even though they already said all Prime Exclusives will get BD/DVD releases down the road, I do wonder if they'll let Funi or sentai handle the home video, similar to how Netflix streamed KoS but let Sentai release it.

Only difference is Netflix doesn't personally do physical releases, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.
64890 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 3/14/16 , edited 3/14/16
Just when I thought that there couldn't be any more places for anime to be streaming, here comes another. Hopefully, this isn't an exclusive deal and that it's just another place to watch it seeing that Amazon doesn't do physical media distribution. But if it is, then it will be a whole lot of hurt seeing that yet another subscription would be needed to watch everything and I don't have much use for Prime seeing that I don't order stuff from them that much to make it worth the the cost. Ideally it would be great to have everything on CR or Funi, but now Netflix and Hulu are getting into the subscription exclusive business and unlike with CR and Funi, they are not places with anime specifically in mind, and the same would apply to Amazon Prime. Anyway, this is a title that's very attractive for Funimation and I hope that they can get this.
32260 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/14/16 , edited 3/14/16
Damn. I was curious about this show too.

..and being a Canadian doesn't help either.
8894 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Baltimore, Maryland
Offline
Posted 3/14/16

Bakaneer wrote:

Just when I thought that there couldn't be any more places for anime to be streaming, here comes another. Hopefully, this isn't an exclusive deal and that it's just another place to watch it seeing that Amazon doesn't do physical media distribution. But if it is, then it will be a whole lot of hurt seeing that yet another subscription would be needed to watch everything and I don't have much use for Prime seeing that I don't order stuff from them that much to make it worth the the cost. Ideally it would be great to have everything on CR or Funi, but now Netflix and Hulu are getting into the subscription exclusive business and unlike with CR and Funi, they are not places with anime specifically in mind, and the same would apply to Amazon Prime. Anyway, this is a title that's very attractive for Funimation and I hope that they can get this.


I think it is exclusive but since all the President of Amazon Studios will say is "We have WorldWide streaming rights", it's hard to say. Also, Amazon does do physical distribution for their shows, they just don't put any priority on it. They just simply say "it'll get released eventually"

In any case, to maximize sales for a title like this, it'd make sense to let Funi handle physical distribution, similarly to how Netflix streamed Knights of Sidonia while Sentai handled the BD/DVDs.

15327 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Denmark
Offline
Posted 3/14/16

TheAncientOne wrote:


ImperialDane wrote:

So that's another American streaming service gobbling up worldwide rights to a series only to use it for America.

http://exstreamist.com/which-countries-is-amazon-instant-video-available-in/

Perhaps this is also a sign they are getting ready to pull off a Netflix-like 'stream in most countries' expansion. (Although that could be a year or so down the road)




Doesn't seem likely in the immediate future. Plus funimation's been saying the same things and only recently expanded into the UK.

So not something i'd hold my breath over. Plus i'd rather not subscribe to something just for a single series. No matter how good it is. Not that rich atm.

It's not like i can't see the positives in this. I mean this means more money for the anime industry which means more anime and perhaps more anime to suit our tastes as western investments play a bigger role. But when it then further divides the market with exclusives it does feel a bit bitter sweet.
24306 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Various
Offline
Posted 3/14/16
- It's good, not just that more money is going into anime, but that more wider-scope companies have anime on their radar as something they want to be involved in. Honestly, when people say things like that they prefer for anime to be niche and not "mainstream," it feels like they're saying they like to have the artists who make their favorite things not get recognition or enough pay for it.

- I really don't like Amazon, though, for other reasons. But those reasons have more to do with books, and how their business practices have made it really hard for physical bookstores, and not much to do with anime (unless you want to talk about local comic stores, I guess). But I have relatives that use Prime, so I'll use theirs to watch this, I guess.

I wasn't planning to watch it at all, but then I saw that Ichiro Okouchi is writing it and I don't know if I can skip it. He wrote/created 2 of my top 5 and... assistant wrote one of my bottom 3 anime, the latter with the same director and a lot of the same staff...
Also the character designs for this are sort of gross, except for Ryota Ohsaka's character, and he's always endlessly precious, so I'll be able to stand it as long as he's there....
The Wise Wizard
100935 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/14/16

rentadawg wrote:

Ajin is will also be streaming on Netflix in April, I never knew they had rights to it. At least it streams right after the season ends unlike the long wait it was for Seven Deadly Sins, that better not be the same case with season 2.

It was announced way back in September of last year:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2015-09-18/netflix-to-premiere-ajin-a-demi-human-to-global-audience-in-first-of-its-kind-deal/.93110

Seven Deadly Sins was an odd one, as it didn't fit the "as soon as the season ends" pattern for both parts of Knights of Sidonia. It also didn't have an official early announcement. It makes me wonder if they actually had the rights before it was broadcast in Japan, or that contract was only finalized much later.

17735 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
55 / M /
Offline
Posted 3/14/16

Yamstarch wrote:

Well. I have been meaning to get AP for a long time now.


I've been prime now for 5 years? Longer? Slightly less long? Anyways a reason to use the video portion.
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.