Post Reply Premium Membership 12 Month gift
16030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/14/16 , edited 3/14/16
Earlier this month the option to gift 12 months seemed to be gone, but earlier today I was able to find it in the store and added 12 months to my cart to gift myself again.

For some reason it says I have to add an credit card to gift? There is enough money on my paypal so that shouldn't be the problem.

To clarify, I go to my the store select premium membership, then I have the option to choose 1month,3months, and 12months.
I chose 12 months and click "this item is a gift". I proceed to my card where it asks me how I want to pay and I select paypal. Then I have to log in and it says: "to finish this payment you have to add a credit card."

This shouldn't be the case as far as I know?

Also, I'm 17 so I can't get a credit card right now and neither one of my parents has one.
Der Zoodirektor
23357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/14/16
That's an issue you have to take to PayPal. We have no part in their transaction security measures.
16030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/14/16 , edited 3/14/16

shinryou wrote:

That's an issue you have to take to PayPal. We have no part in their transaction security measures.


The same thing happens when you try to pay normaly and its recurring so could it be possibly be marked as recurring while its actually a gift?
Der Zoodirektor
23357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/14/16

nicoguy2 wrote:

The same thing happens when you try to pay normaly and its recurring so could it be possibly be marked as recurring while its actually a gift?


No, PayPal applies more scrutiny for accounts that do not have a payment method like a credit card added. It's best to talk to them to see why they refused to book the charge.
16030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/16

shinryou wrote:


nicoguy2 wrote:

The same thing happens when you try to pay normaly and its recurring so could it be possibly be marked as recurring while its actually a gift?


No, PayPal applies more scrutiny for accounts that do not have a payment method like a credit card added. It's best to talk to them to see why they refused to book the charge.


After searching around it seems that the problem I encountered was that Crunchyroll wants a shipping address while this shouldn't be needed for premium membership.

But because of the "required shipping address" paypal wants me to have a credit card to confirm the shipping address.

You have the option to either do a shipping address + credit card or paypal. I also tried filling in the shipping address on crunchyroll and it still wouldn't work.

My guess would be that even though membership doesn't require this address it still requests it because it because it's in the shop together with merch(which would need a shipping address) and thus paypal wants an address to send it to, and to confirm it I need a credit card.

It could very well be a different problem since I haven't heard back from Paypal yet, but can I somehow do this without it asking for a shipping address?



Der Zoodirektor
23357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/15/16
Can't you specify an address within your PayPal account?
16030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/16 , edited 3/15/16
I have but for some reason they still want a credit card.
ninja edit: I've also asked paypal support if there is another way besides credit cards.
Der Zoodirektor
23357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/15/16
It should work with debit cards as well.
16030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/16
The problem is that I don't have any of those credit/debit cards or what ever.

This is the answer I got from paypal:

The only way we have to confirm your address is adding and confirming a credit card to your PayPal account. So it's not telling you to add the card because it wants the payment to come from there, it's telling you to add the card so they can send the shirt under their policies, which is entirely their choice. Once you added and confirmed the card, it would still use your PayPal balance first as you were trying to do in the first place.

This means i'll either have to wait for the site to change their policies concerning premium(which currently goes trough the same process as a merch item while it shouldn't.) or i'll have to ask my parents to get one :/

I think that this site is great and i'd love to keep supporting it, but then again the whole payment thing is kinda fcked for some people. Lack of payment options and the whole "you need a credit/debit card thing"

Guess i'll be gone till I get a credit card :P

*in Arnolds voice* I'll be back





The Wise Wizard
99871 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Offline
Posted 3/15/16

nicoguy2 wrote:

The only way we have to confirm your address is adding and confirming a credit card to your PayPal account. So it's not telling you to add the card because it wants the payment to come from there, it's telling you to add the card so they can send the shirt under their policies, which is entirely their choice. Once you added and confirmed the card, it would still use your PayPal balance first as you were trying to do in the first place.

I seem to recall back in the distant past when PayPal was new, they sent a letter to my address, and I had to enter something from it to prove I received it (and thus confirm my address).

It appears there is "alternate address confirmation", but it also notes it is only available for US accounts:
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/shipping-address-outside

Der Zoodirektor
23357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/15/16 , edited 3/15/16

TheAncientOne wrote:

I seem to recall back in the distant past when PayPal was new, they sent a letter to my address, and I had to enter something from it to prove I received it (and thus confirm my address).

It appears there is "alternate address confirmation", but it also notes it is only available for US accounts:
https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/shipping-address-outside



It's also like that in Japan. You actually *have to* receive mail to a physical mailbox and enter a code printed on the letter on thire website to unlock your account to be able to make transactions. Had to go through all that in order to receive and send money when I lived there. Probably also has to do with banking laws, as Japanese laws does not allow you to have a bank account there if you don't have a residence in Japan.
16029 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/15/16
If I were you, I would go to a grocery store and purchase a pre paid visa gift card which would function just like a credit/debit card.
Der Zoodirektor
23357 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/16/16

TheGreekKey wrote:

If I were you, I would go to a grocery store and purchase a pre paid visa gift card which would function just like a credit/debit card.


Adding one of those as a payment source on PayPal might just do the trick. Some providers don't support recurring payments from those, so getting a recurring subscription directly might not work.
16030 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/18/16
i'm back!

After more talk with paypal they told me that I had an "unsave" account because I didn't add an bank account, and that some sites required your paypal account to be "save".

After adding my bank account a little bit earlier I was finally able to gift the membership!<3

The only other thing i'd like to say is that for some reason my membership which was supposed to end on March 16th 2016 is still "active" and my new gifted one is marked as "prepaid".

If this is a bug and not some time zone wizardry I hope someone can fix it.

Apart from that thanks for bearing with me and i'm off watching some gintama!



You must be logged in to post.