First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime show ratings
Posted 3/19/16 , edited 3/19/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

What anime you talking about? Quality is subjective, and stupid people are more susceptible to emotional manipulation, gaps in logic, etc.

Gaps in logic are only relevant in psychological, scientific, to an extent scifi, and to an extent historical genres.

The primary purpose of anime should be to amuse and entertain. You can't dismiss an anime's worth because they forgot to add in a character's specific ability to a situation. If you were entertained, job well done.

If a normal character starts flying for no reason in the middle of an anime without sufficient explanation, then yah, but if you mean small slip ups, then no.


Ignoring a show's flaw, or in other words, "not using your brain", is just stupid depending on how seriously you're suppose to take a show. It indicative of the quality of the show when you're told to ignore it, although as stated, show like Gurren get a pass due tot he nature of the show.

Though the things I've seen pass in certain anime regarding plotholes is astounding. Then there's stuff like actual romantic development, etc. The most common way to avoid gaps in logic is not to explain anything at all, which in itself is a flaw.

78 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Victoria, Australia
Offline
Posted 3/19/16
One thing I have noticed over the years, is that anime intended for female audiences are overall better quality than those intended for males. It isn't always the case, but for me, it is almost always so. Taking into account everything the anime has, from all facets, the ones for girls are overall better quality.

Sure, the ones with battles, fights, scifi, fantasy etc etc. (Ones intended for males) All have better action and fictional storytelling, but at the expense of stupid fanservice and average character development.

2344 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 3/19/16 , edited 3/19/16
I think that in general, the troupes in anime intended for a female audience work better than the troupes used commonly in anime intended for a male audience, but I would still have to say that shounen/seinen anime that doesn't fall into those typical traps end up soaring far beyond anime of most genres. (Along the lines of HunterxHunter, Ghost in the Shell)
27929 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 3/19/16

mouseno4 wrote:

Here is an example.

Make two animes. Both with romance, fantasy, school drama, magical elements, perhaps some mystical elements as well with a small group of school friends. Both with the same kind of art style, dialogue and animation.

Both are reviewed here with amazing scores. Yet one is flat out boring and dull and the other, it's polar opposite.

100% the exact same ingredients and reviews, yet are complete opposites in terms of quality. How is that possible?


Make two cars. Both have 4 wheels, 4 doors, around the same horse power, the same number of seats, almost the same trunk space...

You get the idea

People have different tastes and needs
78 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Victoria, Australia
Offline
Posted 3/19/16

weslamagne43 wrote:

I think that in general, the troupes in anime intended for a female audience work better than the troupes used commonly in anime intended for a male audience, but I would still have to say that shounen/seinen anime that doesn't fall into those typical traps end up soaring far beyond anime of most genres. (Along the lines of HunterxHunter, Ghost in the Shell)


I somewhat agree with you on that.

What I have always seen with anime is that I tend to have two camps that any anime I watch can fall into. I either utterly adore it to death and even go so far as to delve into the manga to get more of the story than the anime gave me... Or the show bored me to tears despite going through 1-6 episodes trying to force myself to enjoy it. A number of highly reviewed shows have fallen into this camp - ones that have actually been placed onto many top 10 lists for people.

Quite a number of the shows I have watched where I was bored watching it, were ones where there just was nothing that said ''you need to watch the next episode!''.

One show I will name here (because I have not yet decided on it yet) is Maid-sama. The reason I mention that particular show and not others in the exact same boat - is because this one is a prime reason I push myself through so many episodes. The main character, Misaki or whatever her name is, is a real nasty, cruel man hating b---- who only cares about girls and her own image (not physical image mind you). With a suave guy comes the hope that she might have her rough edges smoothed out, change her nasty ways and end up a kind and nice person to everyone around her. Half the season later... It still has not happened.

I have in fact watched entire anime shows, every episode from beginning to end, but still hated them completely. The point was that everyone always tells me ''you need to get to X episode before it gets really good''. Unless this mysterious point in the story is AFTER the anime finishes and the manga continues, I am just not seeing it.
15888 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / So. Cal
Offline
Posted 3/19/16
This is why I started writing my own reviews. Tastes are subjective plentiful, so I write reviews with myself as the target in mind. What would I want to hear about an anime? When I rea reviews I try to read a 5, 3 & 1 star review for an objective opinion.But no review can guarantee you like a series, so I say trust your instincts
33574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 3/19/16 , edited 3/19/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:

What anime you talking about? Quality is subjective, and stupid people are more susceptible to emotional manipulation, gaps in logic, etc.

Gaps in logic are only relevant in psychological, scientific, to an extent scifi, and to an extent historical genres.

The primary purpose of anime should be to amuse and entertain. You can't dismiss an anime's worth because they forgot to add in a character's specific ability to a situation. If you were entertained, job well done.

If a normal character starts flying for no reason in the middle of an anime without sufficient explanation, then yah, but if you mean small slip ups, then no.


Ignoring a show's flaw, or in other words, "not using your brain", is just stupid depending on how seriously you're suppose to take a show. It indicative of the quality of the show when you're told to ignore it, although as stated, show like Gurren get a pass due tot he nature of the show.

Though the things I've seen pass in certain anime regarding plotholes is astounding. Then there's stuff like actual romantic development, etc. The most common way to avoid gaps in logic is not to explain anything at all, which in itself is a flaw.

I simply disagree.
1mic 
8653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / NYC, USA
Offline
Posted 3/19/16 , edited 3/19/16
mouseno4 wrote:


Make two animes. Both with romance, fantasy, school drama, magical elements, perhaps some mystical elements as well with a small group of school friends. Both with the same kind of art style, dialogue and animation.


I finished watching the 13 episode series of Actually, I am today. Like you, maybe I'm drawn to show types that have similarities as am also watching the ongoing Myriad Colors Phantom World. Both with their "school drama", "mystical elements".

I guess the difference with me, is I am still new enough to simply enjoy the fun of the animes I've watched without really seeing huge variances of say what would be a 5 star or a 2 star review. I have a generous eye thus far. Possibly as I learn more, I will have more ways to discern what is good and what is just average.

Like the old song goes: If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad

I do make note whenever I see people who have been on much longer than me, who list many, many ones I haven't even got a chance to look at yet - and I file it away as - yeah I want to see that too. Right now, my priorities are not in determining the "masterwork" versus the simply fun.
78 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Victoria, Australia
Offline
Posted 3/19/16 , edited 3/19/16
There is one exception to the rule for me. If the main male character gets beaten up by a main/supporting female character for no reason at all, I immediately stop watching the show.

An example (that I will make up myself) of this is where a female walks into a classroom and ''whoops!'' their dress drops to the floor whilst the main male character happens to be in the same room - if that female physically bashes the male up for existing in the same room as her when her panties were exposed... SKIP. Next anime.

You won't be able to count how many shows I have skipped right over for this reason alone.

(And before you say it - the anime/manga that the character in my avatar comes from, is the sole reason that anime and manga is excepted - if she died or otherwise left the story... That would be the end)
First  Prev  1  2  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.