FIB Warning - Your car could get hacked
38626 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Somewhere
Offline
Posted 3/19/16
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/03/18/fbi-nhtsa-warn-car-hacking/81970684/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FonzSGnzLsU

The FBI has issued a warning that modern cars have become increasingly vulnerable to hacking. Hackers can take over the technical and computer components of your car.

My car is an '89. I think it's safe.
13202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 3/19/16 , edited 3/19/16
fib = small lie just saying
i don't drive smart cars, so i'm probably safe.
Posted 3/19/16
Whaaat
no way.
62453 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/19/16
The same FBI that wants to make technology more vulnerable to hacking is now warning us that technology can be hacked? LMAO! The FBI must be run by guys with split personalities or something.
15989 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 3/19/16
ofc thats why you don't use a lock like that... keep it simple.
47333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 3/19/16
Hacking cars isn't anything new, cars these days don't have any "real" firewalls so it's pretty much just go in and do something. What I mean by that is that their like the firewalls computers had back in the 90's
47333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 3/19/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

fib = small lie just saying
i don't drive smart cars, so i'm probably safe.


You don't need to have a "smart car" to get hacked. Most cars for the last 5-10 years have motherboards on them and PC components, so someone could just put a Bluetooth chip or some other wireless transmission to get into it
13202 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
☆Land of sweets☆
Offline
Posted 3/19/16

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:You don't need to have a "smart car" to get hacked. Most cars for the last 5-10 years have motherboards on them and PC components, so someone could just put a Bluetooth chip or some other wireless transmission to get into it


this would require them to have physical access to the car though.
67495 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / US
Offline
Posted 3/19/16
Yeah - that's pretty commonly known now. Anything that has an Onstar or similar system can be hacked.

When onstar first came out, they actually had TV commercials advertising that they could remotely shutdown a car if it was stolen. That means that the onstar modem has direct access to the fuel controller chip. Whether you pay for the service or not, that modem can be accessed by a third party with the proper skillset.

And hacking keyless entry systems has been around for a while.

Aaaand you can shut down any fuel-injected vehicle with just a tiny EMP. The cops and military actually have tazers for cars now. Rumor has it some roads have them built into the pavement these days so that entire roadways can be shutdown "in case of an emergency."

Me, I want a '67 Cadillac.
47333 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Sweden
Offline
Posted 3/19/16

namealreadytaken wrote:


TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:You don't need to have a "smart car" to get hacked. Most cars for the last 5-10 years have motherboards on them and PC components, so someone could just put a Bluetooth chip or some other wireless transmission to get into it


this would require them to have physical access to the car though.


Your car probably have a key that can unlock it without having to psychicly touch the car? Well hate to break it to ya, but they can get access to your car thanks to that. The only way to stay 100% safe is to manually remove every component that has some sort of wireless signal, or buy a older car that doesn't have anything like that
One Punch Mod
104463 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Boston-ish
Offline
Posted 17 days ago
Year-end cleanup. Closing threads with no new posts since 12/31/2016.
You must be logged in to post.