First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Anime vs manga
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Victoria, Australia
Offline
Posted 3/19/16
This is something I don't get with people's opinions of anime and manga.

We all know how anime comes about so I won't get into that.

What this topic is about is the knee jerk reaction many manga readers have when a manga without an anime or a continuing story beyond where the anime ends.

I get it. People love the manga for a given story. I happen to like both and watch anime and read manga all the time.

My problem is when people compare the two so as to demand that no anime be produced for a manga story or that a second or third season not be produced because of poor quality/reception or that they simply didn't like the anime that was made for it.

What gives? Does an anime somehow ''kill'' a manga series somehow? Does an anime that is produced for a series somehow affect the quality or the volume/chapter count? Doesn't the old idea of ''if you don't like it, don't watch it'' apply here?

Another aspect of this is the english audio version (called 'dub') and their hatred of all things dub for anime. Again, if you don't like the english audio... Don't listen to it?

People are only too eager to voice their dissatisfaction and opinions on what can and should be done for a given series. People seem to not be capable of just accepting that others want something different to them.

/endrant
32377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Offline
Posted 3/19/16 , edited 3/19/16
One time, I saw someone complaining that the anime followed the manga too closely.

76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Victoria, Australia
Offline
Posted 3/20/16

CKD-Anime wrote:

One time, I saw someone complaining that the anime followed the manga too closely.



How is that a negative?
7039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/16

mouseno4 wrote:


CKD-Anime wrote:

One time, I saw someone complaining that the anime followed the manga too closely.



How is that a negative?


Pretty sure thats what he's getting at.
490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/16 , edited 3/20/16
I think it's just a crowd mentality sorta thing when it comes to "the anime isn't following the manga right"! I'm sure there are plenty of shows out there that do indeed leave out plenty of material whether it's semi important or minor details regarding a character or event. Just like light/visual novels I've heard people say that the anime will either rush all of the arcs focusing on the most important things and leaving out semi Important character development or plot details. Or they will focus on the most popular arc, but either way people will complain. Budget I'm sure is a huge factor as I'd think that the studio would want to produce a successful anime adaption.

Of course this is merely my opinion and I'm sure manga readers have valid points, but it seems like every anime adaption gets heavily criticized such as erased as an example. I was blown away at some of the comments I saw on mal. I personally Cant get into reading manga (I've attempted too) as I never liked comics or anything like that to begin with, although I do like reading books. Light/visual novels I've never tried out yet although I plan on purchasing the higurashi light novel just because of how much I enjoyed the anime.

Regarding dub I used to watch strictly dub awhile back until I started shows that only had subs. After watching subbed anime for a long time now I actually cringe when I hear dubbed anime for some reason. I'm not one of those people who criticize others for preferring dubbed anime by any means, it's just personal preference. im gonna refer to higurashi again, after I completed the whole series, ovas, etc I saw that the first season was dubbed. I was in shock at how bad it sounded to me, even though I don't speak Japanese at all the sound of the voices just seemed more fitting to the characters. I actually felt embarrassed listening to the dub that's how bad it was to me.
10641 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 3/20/16
dubs sometimes cut significant portions of the series, for apparently no reason.
as for dub voices, depends on the series...some have decent voice, others not so much.
The Wise Wizard
100965 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
56 / M / U.S.A. (mid-south)
Online
Posted 3/20/16 , edited 3/20/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

dubs sometimes cut significant portions of the series, for apparently no reason.
as for dub voices, depends on the series...some have decent voice, others not so much.

Either you only watch dubs on TV, kid-targeted anime, or you're only familiar with old dubs (where if the broadcast license came first, they wouldn't bother with putting anything out other than the TV cut for home video).

Even with TV broadcasts, the cuts certainly aren't "without reason", as they almost always are for content, or more often, for time. You may not agree with the reason, but that doesn't mean it isn't a reason.




Strungout wrote:

Regarding dub I used to watch strictly dub awhile back until I started shows that only had subs. After watching subbed anime for a long time now I actually cringe when I hear dubbed anime for some reason. I'm not one of those people who criticize others for preferring dubbed anime by any means, it's just personal preference. im gonna refer to higurashi again, after I completed the whole series, ovas, etc I saw that the first season was dubbed. I was in shock at how bad it sounded to me, even though I don't speak Japanese at all the sound of the voices just seemed more fitting to the characters. I actually felt embarrassed listening to the dub that's how bad it was to me.

I wouldn't hold up Higurashi as being a decent dub to begin with. It was one of the last Geneon dubs, although I would say it was at least better than the ones for the first two Nanoha series.

Also, unless a good amount of time passed between viewing the sub and the dub (enough for your memory of how the voices sounded to begin to get a bit fuzzy), you have to account for the natural human "first exposure" bias.

76474 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
from the South Bay
Offline
Posted 3/20/16 , edited 3/20/16
If you are saying anime adaptation vs the original source , the manga.

If the manga is written well then the anime adaptation should be as good. That is my expectation of the adaptation but we all know that it is dependent upon how much the budget is.

For example Haikyuu. The anime adaptation is really well done, the manga was good but it made it better and since the first season was a success , and so it got another season and another.

There are times the anime production change things and add things as long as the flow the story is not disrupted and it is within the characters personality.
Right now ERASED is the one everyone is talking about since the anime has changed the last 2 episodes from the source material.Now the chalenge is will it have the same feel of the past 10 epsiodes.

I think what is important in the adaptation that it captures what the writting intends it to do, what the feel of the title , the development of the characters and story, so it doesnt have to follow it word for word.

Another title with an awesome anime adaptation is the web comic that have a manga adaptation is One Punch Man. The anime made that title more awesome in many ways but the manga made it awesome first.
15778 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M / Virginia USA
Online
Posted 3/20/16 , edited 3/20/16
I view each as their own individual art form.

I loved The Seven Deadly Sins anime as an example. And now i am enthusiastically collecting and reading the manga and completely enjoying it and it's own changes vs. the anime.
11783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F
Offline
Posted 3/20/16 , edited 3/20/16
Actually, I like it when the anime isn't faithful to the manga. As long as it's well done and the ending is the same or it's a closed story I don't have any problems with it. Because then I have two versions of it and not just one. The only anime I want to stay faithful to the manga is Sailor Moon Crystal, for obvious reasons.

Dubs: You don't know what a bad dub is as long as you haven't watched a german dub . It's not like every dub is awful, some are acceptable but that's the best you get. Many dubs are so bad that it feels like you're watching a series made for 5-year old children. And you often know the voices and you know that they can do better but it's like somebody is standing next to the voice actors telling them that the most important thing is to make an awful job.
11742 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/16
I don't think the English dubbers aim their performances for people who like the Japanese style performances. The English voices generally sound more realistic like I can just walk out the front door and find people who sound like that and are not overly boyish/girly/geeky in how they talk compared to the Japanese version.

There are English dubs that are closer to the Japanese style like Persona/K-On, even adding the chan suffixes and all and not surprisingly, a lot of sub watchers like those.
423 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M
Offline
Posted 3/20/16

mouseno4 wrote:

Another aspect of this is the english audio version (called 'dub') and their hatred of all things dub for anime. Again, if you don't like the english audio... Don't listen to it?

People often falsely claim that dubs are equivalent to or better than the original voice acting, and they completely devalue the original voice acting and script by thinking that it's perfectly fine to just toss them out and replace them with something else. Dubs also keep viewers at arm's length from Japanese culture and the anime industry, and even make them forget that they are watching a product of Japanese culture.
76 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Victoria, Australia
Offline
Posted 3/20/16

drninja wrote:


mouseno4 wrote:

Another aspect of this is the english audio version (called 'dub') and their hatred of all things dub for anime. Again, if you don't like the english audio... Don't listen to it?

People often falsely claim that dubs are equivalent to or better than the original voice acting, and they completely devalue the original voice acting and script by thinking that it's perfectly fine to just toss them out and replace them with something else. Dubs also keep viewers at arm's length from Japanese culture and the anime industry, and even make them forget that they are watching a product of Japanese culture.


I can't help but laugh when people say that the Japanese audio is better than the english one, when the viewer cannot understand a single word of Japanese. They may as well be grunting and just continuously saying 'rawr rawr rawr' in different volumes, pitches and speeds in place of actual speech. There is effectively no difference between that and Japanese audio when you do not understand the language. Now if you understand at least a few words of Japanese then you can appreciate it's quality.

Sure, you can easily judge an english audio because you understand the words, the tone, the volume, pitch etc of each uttered word and whether "Did you just do that?" and "DID YOU just do that?" are the same and which was delivered better because you understand word inflection. You can say that sentence as a question or as a statement - you can say it desperately or as if you were half asleep.

But to say the same sentence in Japanese is better is ridiculous because you cannot understand where the inflection should be within the sentence. Japanese cannot be translated literally word for word as doing so would make little sense as the words would be out of order (for english grammar).
32377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / St.Louis - USA
Offline
Posted 3/20/16
^I kinda want to watch some German anime dubs now.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.