First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Religion vs Science
2522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/7/07

Joshuah wrote:


SokoLoko788 wrote:

For some ppl, having an afterlife is important but what separates us from say a chimp, dog, or plant, not much just art and believing in something even if its nothing. we r not much different than any animal, put an average joe with no survival experience in the wild and what happens, maybe if hes lucky he might survive if not he dies, cuz the instincts r not as hardwired in us as in animals... religion became more elaborate and complicated when written language was created, so that future generations built upon previous generations... ur choice if u believe or not, science is present in everything we do...



Yeh but the average joe's instincts arent wired to deal with that situation. i mean the human instinct is to seek others, build a community and survive by supporting eachother which we've done and been very successful! theres nothing that separates us its just we ROCK at surviving. Every animal has its advantages, we have intellect, which worked out pretty well ... for us.


Meh, our intellect will be everythings downfall. OR atleast ours.


darknights000123 wrote:


123nasif wrote:

religion = bullshit


yeshhhhhhh


Ill disagree with this, because its comparing people's opinions. Religion isn't bullshit so long as it's kept to oneself or someone else who follows YOUR religion.
5787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / US
Offline
Posted 7/7/07
This is one of those topics whose only real purpose is to get an argument going. Tempers fray, insults fly, and nobody is very happy about the opinions they see being tossed around.

So...I'll add to the tension :P

I'll go religion - I get a better feeling believing I'll be rewarded for the good I have done in my life vs being a rotting corpse. Makes me believe it all works out if not how you want, then at least how you deserve.
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 7/7/07
Science can prove theres no religion. So science wins.
Posted 7/7/07
I strongly believe that religion is for people who are to weak to believe in themselves and need sometrhig they believe that is greater than themselves to explain how life is the way it is for that person and that there is ultimately a "plan" that will unfold for them instead of doing the reasonable and adult thing and accepting your own mistakes and choices and make your own way for yourself insteaf of wondering through life assuming a fictional higher being will make the way instead


Trevor (OP)
42015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / F / Fort Meade, MD
Offline
Posted 7/7/07

happyxix wrote:

Science can prove theres no religion. So science wins.


no it proves there's no proof.
that's like saying science can't prove there's love. so there's no love... come on

edit: and science doesn't need to prove or disprove "religion" it's there.. its a fact... i can walk down the street and walk into a church... that's pretty proof positive that there's religion.
I think you're meaning to say it can disprove the basic beliefs of religion.
2522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/7/07

Actraiser wrote:

This is one of those topics whose only real purpose is to get an argument going. Tempers fray, insults fly, and nobody is very happy about the opinions they see being tossed around.

So...I'll add to the tension :P

I'll go religion - I get a better feeling believing I'll be rewarded for the good I have done in my life vs being a rotting corpse. Makes me believe it all works out if not how you want, then at least how you deserve.


lol. everybody's opinion sucks to everyone else. But atleast you get to see others views on the matter.
13802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/07
the instinct that drives us towards community, art and belief are actually now being traced using genetic mapping and understanding how certain mutations helped us gain the advantages we needed to get it started, civilzation that is... humans, apes and monkeys live in tribes and groups that concept of group unity has been ingrained heavily, it wasnt until the advent of farming that really helped bring about communities in order to support each other and to protect themselves aganist other groups and threats. Going from nomadic hunting and gatherings to a sustained lifestyle was key in making the transition from uncivilized to civilized

lol the person who said science can prove theres no religion... it cant, u cant 'prove' anything u can have data to support ur theories, but in the end they r just theories, and often a theory gets modified as more information or observations r made in the subject and better instruments and technques improve results... so ur argument is flawed, in short
killar 
69281 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Texas
Offline
Posted 7/7/07

Actraiser wrote:

This is one of those topics whose only real purpose is to get an argument going. Tempers fray, insults fly, and nobody is very happy about the opinions they see being tossed around.

So...I'll add to the tension :P

I'll go religion - I get a better feeling believing I'll be rewarded for the good I have done in my life vs being a rotting corpse. Makes me believe it all works out if not how you want, then at least how you deserve.


I used to be like that. Even though I never really believed in religion I would tell myself that I'll just follow the rules to make myself feel better. But eventually it all just became a game to me. I would wake up on Sunday and waste two hours of my life listening to a preacher saying the same boring shit over and over again. I would tell people that I was Christian and shit. But the facts just don't add up, in science everything is fact or theory. But in religion you have to throw everything behind blind faith. That just doesn't fly with me, so I was like fuck religion.

-Justin (buzzed)
5787 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M / US
Offline
Posted 7/7/07
^^^and it is fun to watch people get all upset about someone disagreeing with them too :lol:

^ I haven't gone to church in a very long time. That isn't something I ever really considered a thing that makes you a good person.

What matters isn't how you make yourself feel, but how you make others around you feel. It all comes down to motive. With science, there is no one to answer to for past transgressions, no penalty, no reward - this life is all you get, and that makes it all rather pointless.

And I used to believe the exact opposite of what I am writing now - certain life changing events had a hand in my current viewpoint.

Edit:
Added content
2522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/7/07

Actraiser wrote:

^^ and it is fun to watch people get all upset about someone disagreeing with them too :lol:


lol, thats why I love threads like this.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but noone should impose it one someone else.
And to a few others, stop posting just to raise your post count. :l Atleast make a meaningful post.
10149 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Home of SeaBiscuit
Offline
Posted 7/7/07

Dusterbayala wrote:


happyxix wrote:

Science can prove theres no religion. So science wins.


no it proves there's no proof.
that's like saying science can't prove there's love. so there's no love... come on


Science can prove theres love =] Its called hormones and how they react to people.

Lets pretend theres is "heaven." And since its a "place" It must be made of "matter". And since Heaven is above the universe it must be really FAR away. And since we die, we get to "heaven." And since it takes more than a a few hundred light-years to even get outta our "solar system," It seems like when we die we travel maybe billions of times faster than the speed of light and nothing travels faster than light so therefore...none of what I said really happened.

^ That was just random bs I came up with on the spot.
2522 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 7/7/07

happyxix wrote:


Dusterbayala wrote:


happyxix wrote:

Science can prove theres no religion. So science wins.


no it proves there's no proof.
that's like saying science can't prove there's love. so there's no love... come on


Science can prove theres love =] Its called hormones and how they react to people.

Lets pretend theres is "heaven." And since its a "place" It must be made of "matter". And since Heaven is above the universe it must be really FAR away. And since we die, we get to "heaven." And since it takes more than a a few hundred light-years to even get outta our "solar system," It seems like when we die we travel maybe billions of times faster than the speed of light and nothing travels faster than light so therefore...none of what I said really happened.

^ That was just random bs I came up with on the spot.


Im not taking sides because Im not certain where I stand, but the saying "The absence of evidence isn't the evidence of absence." goes with what you say. As long as there is no evidence of a lack of some deity, it can't be proved.
301 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 7/7/07
I'm a Christian and also a scientist. I feel science can be used to help show/explain a lot of what my religion tells you. obviously Christianity cannot ever accept evolution but evolution shouldn't have to be accepted. good old kent offers 1/2 a million to anyone with 1 piece of evidence for evolution and he hasn't gave away any money yet. so to me science (something you can prove is true in a lab) = good and religion (I'm talkin about my religion) = good its not a question of religion vs science. but religious science vs evolutionary science.


and by the way i've just got back from town, i'ts 4:16am, i've been out clubbin and i'm still drunk so i might not be makin much sence. but yeah thats what i'm thinkin right now.
Posted 7/7/07

d_mythica wrote:

I'm a Christian
i'm still drunk .



Clearly...someones full of shit....points to mythica!

trevor (OP)

13802 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 7/7/07
If u want evolution look at bacteria, their generations r 20 min to a few hours, so they evolve at disgusting rates as point mutations and other factors like an enviromental threats shape and scuplt their DNA. Thats why antiboitics like penecillin r not effective anymore is becuz morons use it for 3 days, feel better and stop using it and then the surviving bacteria is able to recover and gain characteristics that make them resistant to that antiboitic... evolution in more complex organisms takes millions of years because the time gap between generations is 10s of thousands of times longer than that of bacteria

think out it in another way, if there was no evolution, then there r no mutations therfore we would all be genetically identical, its these mutations that bring about genetic variability in the population, which gives a greater chance of survival for the species, thats why 9 in 10 ppl can die from ebola and 1/10 can survive, also factors such as enviroment can greatly influence a person's appearance, identical twins whose DNA is well, identical, but their heights and appearance can vary by quite a bit
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.