Post Reply Manga Suggestions?
voxam 
183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Georgia, US
Offline
Posted 3/23/16
I'm close to running out of "regular" books to read, and I thought I would try some manga again. The problem I've had in the past is that I don't really process pictures as well as words, so actiony stuff with crazy fights and explosions tends to not go over that well. I like a lot of slice-of-life and romantic comedy anime (Nozaki-kun, Yuruyuri, Hanasaku Iroha) and I'd like something I know won't turn me off immediately. The big caveat though: I need physical English books I can get in The US. I've tried reading some things on CR and the screen just doesn't work well. (I'd also like new content, so as much as I like Monogatari I have little interest in also reading it.)

It's probably a bit much to go through, here's my list on MAL if that helps:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/voxam?status=7&order=4&order2=0
8090 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / miami
Offline
Posted 3/23/16
Check out A Silent Voice by Yoshitoki Oima, I just recently picked it up from Barnes and Noble and wow... It really made an impact on me. Definitely a good read.
7061 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Costa Rica
Offline
Posted 3/23/16
I don´t read a lot of manga but from what I saw in you MAL, a lot of romantic comedies that you saw are based on manga, so you could probably read Akagami no Shirayuki-hime and Nisekoi.

When people ask for manga suggestions, I always recommend Berserk but given that you´re looking for romance and slice of life, stay away from Berserk at all costs. Still, I can also recommend The Ancient Magus Bride, it combines a fantasy world with th modern era, it has a similar vibe to Harry Potter in a sense. But even though it has magic elements, it focuses more on the story and the romance between the two main characters.
12611 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Canada
Offline
Posted 3/23/16 , edited 3/23/16
I highly recommend Solanin, Oyasumi Punpun, Horimiya, Bonnouji, Oresama Teacher (Since you liked Nozaki), Nodame and ReLife.

4720 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 3/23/16

voxam wrote:

I'm close to running out of "regular" books to read, and I thought I would try some manga again. The problem I've had in the past is that I don't really process pictures as well as words, so actiony stuff with crazy fights and explosions tends to not go over that well. I like a lot of slice-of-life and romantic comedy anime (Nozaki-kun, Yuruyuri, Hanasaku Iroha) and I'd like something I know won't turn me off immediately. The big caveat though: I need physical English books I can get in The US. I've tried reading some things on CR and the screen just doesn't work well. (I'd also like new content, so as much as I like Monogatari I have little interest in also reading it.)

It's probably a bit much to go through, here's my list on MAL if that helps:
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/voxam?status=7&order=4&order2=0


I recommend Clay-Lord by Jun Suzumoto. It's nothing that will knock your socks off but it is a generally very charming read with likeable characters, endearing morals, and an enjoyable story. It does get a bit action-y from time to time but the action sequences do not take up all that much time. It's definitely worth picking up and at only 3 tankoubon volumes in length you won't have to worry about buying loads of books to get caught up.

If you're looking for a slice of life story I recommend Yotsuba&! by Kihohiko Azuma (No I didn't press the wrong key by accident, that's how it's actually spelled) It's a charming fish out of water type story surrounding a little girl who recently moved in to a new home. If you liked Azumanga Daioh, the author's previous work, you're sure to love this humorous tale.

Alternatively you may want to look at School Judgement by Nobuaki Enoki and Takeshi Obata. A funny and energetic story of a young lawyer who goes to school classrooms to bring justice to students. The second volume is coming out in america next month, so get on it now so you can be caught up.

There is also D-Frag! by Tomoya Haruno which follows the many misadventures of Kenji Kazama as he is roped in to joining his school's "Game Creation Club" If you're more in the mood for some loosely connected comedic sketches than an ongoing plot then this is the series for you.

Last one is gonna be Onepunch Man by One and Yusuke Murata. This really doesn't need any introduction. It's badass, it's funny and it's phenominally well drawn. I would say go pick it up, but you probably already have.
18914 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / F / Reston, VA, USA
Offline
Posted 3/23/16
I'd suggest MARS by Fuyumi Soryo. You can find it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Mars-1-Fuyumi-Soryo/dp/1931514585

The Aqua/Aria series (the first few volumes are Aqua, the rest changed the title to Aria) by Kozue Amano is another you may enjoy. You can find this at Rightstuf http://www.rightstufanime.com/Aqua-Aria-Manga-Volume-1
mnmike 
20135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/24/16
All are available in print in English:

I'll second A Silent Voice.

The Mayo Chiki manga is quite good, if you don't mind some ecchi-ness.

Happy Marriage is a very good slice of life/romance about an office lady finding love in an arranged marriage.

There are several extremely good shoujo high school Romance/Slice of Life manga from the early 2000's that I would highly recommend:
Maid-Sama
SA: Special A
High School Debut (by the same author as Ore Monogatari)
Dengeki Daisy
W Juliet
Aishiteruze Baby
voxam 
183 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Georgia, US
Offline
Posted 3/24/16

princetobio wrote:

Check out A Silent Voice by Yoshitoki Oima, I just recently picked it up from Barnes and Noble and wow... It really made an impact on me. Definitely a good read.



mnmike wrote:

All are available in print in English:

I'll second A Silent Voice.

The Mayo Chiki manga is quite good, if you don't mind some ecchi-ness.



I think A Silent Voice will be the first one in this experiment. May look into Mayo Chiki later.


JosephJoestar01 wrote:

I don´t read a lot of manga but from what I saw in you MAL, a lot of romantic comedies that you saw are based on manga, so you could probably read Akagami no Shirayuki-hime and Nisekoi.


Nisekoi and Ancient Magus Bride are on the list. Akagami may come later, depending on how I feel after the anime ends.


Daisuki-Suki wrote:

I highly recommend Solanin, Oyasumi Punpun, Horimiya, Bonnouji, Oresama Teacher (Since you liked Nozaki), Nodame and ReLife.



All added, along with Nozaki-kun itself. Apparently it started publishing in English 5 months ago; just have to hunt it down.


octorockandroll wrote:

If you're looking for a slice of life story I recommend Yotsuba&! by Kihohiko Azuma (No I didn't press the wrong key by accident, that's how it's actually spelled) It's a charming fish out of water type story surrounding a little girl who recently moved in to a new home. If you liked Azumanga Daioh, the author's previous work, you're sure to love this humorous tale.

Last one is gonna be Onepunch Man by One and Yusuke Murata. This really doesn't need any introduction. It's badass, it's funny and it's phenominally well drawn. I would say go pick it up, but you probably already have.


I'll start with Azumanga Daioh at some point? One Punch Man also looks good, but it's the kind of thing where I'll probably stick with the anime due to heavy visuals.


Razor_Girl wrote:

I'd suggest MARS by Fuyumi Soryo. You can find it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Mars-1-Fuyumi-Soryo/dp/1931514585

The Aqua/Aria series (the first few volumes are Aqua, the rest changed the title to Aria) by Kozue Amano is another you may enjoy. You can find this at Rightstuf http://www.rightstufanime.com/Aqua-Aria-Manga-Volume-1


I'll try Aqua at some point, and keep going if I enjoy it.


Many thanks to all of you; it's really hard to pick things out of the giant pile. Truth be told this would be easy for me if all of Chihayafuru was available or definitely coming out in English; that was the first anime that made me really want to see how it kept going.
You must be logged in to post.