First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply How would you explain death to a three year old?
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/26/16
Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches.


Let's say a three year old lost his family members but doesn't understand what happened. The three year old looks to you for answers on what happened to his family. How would you explain to the three year old what death is?

Enjoy!!!
33351 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Socal
Offline
Posted 3/26/16 , edited 3/26/16
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 3/26/16 , edited 3/26/16
You can't with words but atleast handle the child well until later on you will explain what happend.
Or atleast not as effective, or if they can take it up say something they are not here anymore and we should find ___ but it quite depends on the situation.
Either you would need to force them away, little talk/cheer up and later on give an proper burial or something?
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/26/16
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/26/16

Freddy96NO wrote:

You can't with words but atleast handle the child well until later on you will explain what happend.
Or atleast not as effective, or if they can take it up say something they are not here anymore and we should find ___ but it quite depends on the situation.
Either you would need to force them away, little talk/cheer up and later on give an proper burial or something?


So using actions?
7401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 3/26/16 , edited 3/26/16
I think it depends on your beliefs. If you believe in God and Heaven then it's easy to explain the concept of death to a child. If not, it can be much much harder. I'd say it would be easiest to say it truthfully but simplistically and in a very positive way. Telling a child someone they love was hurting but will be feeling better now sometimes can get the message across without them feeling a lot of grief and pain.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 3/26/16 , edited 3/26/16

qualeshia3 wrote:
So using actions?
mostly just something to calm the mental "damage" of the child if they have just watched it or something alike.
If its sudden then maybe just find a place for them, dunno what you really want though.
But if its later down the line, then you could say something but also keep them on something else until they can "know it all" maybe in the teens before or after.
And saying they have taken their journey up to the skies (and the child is more unkown about what happend then say "they are here up in the skies and one day you will be able to find them")

Mark Eliyahu - Journey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kxjtXG12Cc
48419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / AZ
Offline
Posted 3/26/16 , edited 3/26/16

We are Catholic so this might not apply to everyone. We told my young cousins that we would no longer see them here on earth but we would one day be reunited in heaven. My cousins saw my uncles body and everything because we considered it best that they know what was happening.

We also venerate all of our dead every November when we offer food and drink to them.
It's a good way to remind the kids that the dead are still present in our lives.

42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/26/16

Freddy96NO wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:
So using actions?
mostly just something to calm the mental "damage" of the child if they have just watched it or something alike.
If its sudden then maybe just find a place for them, dunno what you really want though.




But if its later down the line, then you could say something but also keep them on something else until they can "know it all" maybe in the teens before or after.


Alright then.
Posted 3/26/16
1447 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / The Caribbean
Offline
Posted 3/26/16
I would wait until the child is old enough to understand what death is, cheers.
Posted 3/26/16
Easy, you kill them too.


I mean, wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/26/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

Easy, you kill them too.


I mean, wait, whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?


715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 3/26/16
I feel like a 3 year old understands death better than most of us. That's just one of my theory's though. Don't listen to me I'm crazy.
42339 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 3/26/16

KurdishSenpai wrote:

I feel like a 3 year old understands death better than most of us. That's just one of my theory's though. Don't listen to me I'm crazy.


You're not crazy.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.