First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
The new Ad-blocker message
13650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
こ ~ じ ~ か
Offline
Posted 3/28/16

defixenas wrote:As someone said, make them at the beginning of the episode, so the user has to watch all of them at once. Maybe then I would consider turning off Adblock. I mean it's no big deal, I'll just go and watch Reddit while the ads are playing. But when they are displayed in the middle of the video it's disturbing.



They don't do that because they don't want you going off to Reddit or something. Conversion rates would plummet and the ad prices along with them. Or at least, that's the fear.
5064 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / United States
Offline
Posted 3/28/16
I only really got adblocker because these ads infect my computer with viruses and slow it down.
24614 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M
Offline
Posted 3/28/16

PurpleDjango wrote:

I only really got adblocker because these ads infect my computer with viruses and slow it down.
I didn't even use ad-block until recently, as I was fine supporting site revenue through ads, but this prompted me to finally do so. The ad companies that are the middle men between the sites and the advertisers are shady as hell and seem to have no form of quality control. Not clicking outside links is one of the basics of internet safety and many ads auto reroute without any input on your part. If sites want to start getting me to watch ads again they are going to have to start brokering deals with reputable companies.
101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/28/16
I'll just watch on my ps3 now. for unknown reasons on my ps3 it skips ads automatically
22607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Kakariko Village
Offline
Posted 3/28/16

ComboChrist wrote:

Pay for the fcuking subscription if you don't want to see ads. Some ppl act like 5$ are too much too ask for.

More effective aproach? Notify ppl ONCE when they use adblock and IP-block them when they use it a 2nd time.


As someone who had been a paying member for around 2 years, $5 can be too much to ask for, for some people. I'm not against CR of course, it's a great price and I don't want them to change it, but some of us are in a tight spot when it comes to money, so all I'm saying is not all of us can pay the sub.

But also, to OP, if you can't afford to pay the sub, seriously turn off your adblock. Crunchyroll is a great website that deserves all of the support it can get.
101 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 3/28/16

Zalvorn wrote:


ComboChrist wrote:

Pay for the fcuking subscription if you don't want to see ads. Some ppl act like 5$ are too much too ask for.

More effective aproach? Notify ppl ONCE when they use adblock and IP-block them when they use it a 2nd time.


As someone who had been a paying member for around 2 years, $5 can be too much to ask for, for some people. I'm not against CR of course, it's a great price and I don't want them to change it, but some of us are in a tight spot when it comes to money, so all I'm saying is not all of us can pay the sub.

But also, to OP, if you can't afford to pay the sub, seriously turn off your adblock. Crunchyroll is a great website that deserves all of the support it can get.


i would love to support this website if i could. money is not the problem for me,but it's because i don't have a card and i can't get one either
24538 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Baltimore, MD
Offline
Posted 3/28/16
I'm a free user. I don't block the ads. I'm getting a free service, I can sit through a few ads to get free anime.
3326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Germany
Offline
Posted 3/28/16

Zalvorn wrote:


ComboChrist wrote:

Pay for the fcuking subscription if you don't want to see ads. Some ppl act like 5$ are too much too ask for.

More effective aproach? Notify ppl ONCE when they use adblock and IP-block them when they use it a 2nd time.


As someone who had been a paying member for around 2 years, $5 can be too much to ask for, for some people. I'm not against CR of course, it's a great price and I don't want them to change it, but some of us are in a tight spot when it comes to money, so all I'm saying is not all of us can pay the sub.

But also, to OP, if you can't afford to pay the sub, seriously turn off your adblock. Crunchyroll is a great website that deserves all of the support it can get.


Lol, if somenone can't afford to spend 5$ a month maybe said person shouldn't watch anime at all and rather go to work?
22607 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Kakariko Village
Offline
Posted 3/28/16

ComboChrist wrote:


Zalvorn wrote:


ComboChrist wrote:

Pay for the fcuking subscription if you don't want to see ads. Some ppl act like 5$ are too much too ask for.

More effective aproach? Notify ppl ONCE when they use adblock and IP-block them when they use it a 2nd time.


As someone who had been a paying member for around 2 years, $5 can be too much to ask for, for some people. I'm not against CR of course, it's a great price and I don't want them to change it, but some of us are in a tight spot when it comes to money, so all I'm saying is not all of us can pay the sub.

But also, to OP, if you can't afford to pay the sub, seriously turn off your adblock. Crunchyroll is a great website that deserves all of the support it can get.


Lol, if somenone can't afford to spend 5$ a month maybe said person shouldn't watch anime at all and rather go to work?


I do work, and I can spend my free time how I want. However, even five dollars goes a long way when you're a college student with a shitty part time job. I spend most of my money on gas and food. I could spare enough to pay for a sub, but right now I'd rather save every penny I can and put it to something more productive. Besides, ads aren't even that bothersome to me.
Posted 3/28/16
I don't mind, the girl is pretty cute. Now why do I use adblock? Simple. CR player sucks compared to say, Hulu. I don't hate Hulu, their player is user friendly as well as buffers quite well for some time. CR has a pretty decent player, but god forbid I need to stop and do something like game or buffer. This is even MORE noticeable with embedding ads in videos, which are the worst when it comes to buffering.
18466 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
43 / M / Finland
Offline
Posted 3/28/16

TheOmegaForce70941 wrote:

You have a premium account, so you won't get any message I guess

On my main surfing browser I have java and flash disabled and scripts allowed only per case, so viewing wouldn't work whether logged in or not. Nor would it matter anyway as any shows I watch I watch 'outside' the site itself.

However, even on this browser, which happens to be Chrome, I do have an adblocker running(not ABP though) along with anti-adblock killer scripts, so even If I were to log out and go view an episode, the 'message' wouldn't appear(just to prove, I just tried).
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 3/28/16

ZavinRoyalheart wrote:

I wasn't the one who set up ad-blocker on my computer and if I take it off the internet becomes absolutely unusable.

A lot of sites spam enough ads to crash most browsers.

Running ad block software is the only way to navigate them.

27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 3/28/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


lorreen wrote:


maxgale wrote:

Well, it certainly is interesting to remember that when Crunchy decided to make the backlog of shows unavailable to Free Canadian members (that totally isn't a test run for any other market ) Crunchy made the claim that they aren't making enough money from Free users watching ads to provide the service.


So if North American Free members provide such a minuscule revenue stream for Crunchy, why even bother asking them to turn off adblock?


Aaaaand, maybe they aren't making enough money from free users watching ads because too many free users are using ad-block. So this new Ad-block messaging may be an attempt to boost that ad revenue in regions where it can be a workable model, as long as more free users actually watch the ads.

I never could understand why free users have so much trouble with a minute and a half worth of adds an episode tbh. I was a free user for a long time after making this account, and they barely bothered me.

But then, I've always tried to support services that I use. But, lel, old-world values.




Well, that certainly didn't avoid the many legitimate reasons others have brought up in order to construct a straw man, or anything.
5276 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 3/28/16
I use ad block, but I white list the sites I go to a lot and that works out fine. I have a paid account, because my family kept getting the same gun safety ad nearly every break, multiple times per break, for days.
17181 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 3/28/16 , edited 3/28/16
I'm saving for retirement, every dollar counts
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.