First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply What if Anime was not made by Japan?
10581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 3/30/16
Animation companies already outsource part of the anime production to other Asian countries such as S Korea and Taiwan. If "animation made outside of Japan" is taken in it's literal sense, the point is null. However, if we consider the case that the entire anime production is made outside of Japan, then there will be some changes. In particular:

1. the cultural aspect present in some anime will be lost or changed to accomodate for the new target audience. The main target audience for an animation series made outside of Japan is, of course, non-Japanese, and the series will reflect this change in demographic. of course, the series might still turn out to be enjoyable to native Japanese, but it just won't "feel" the same. Needless to say, shows which rely heavily on Japanese culture is unlikely to be made. Examples: Chihayafuru, Joshiraku, Shion no Ou.
Saki might still be made, since Mahjong is popular in other Asian countries as well, but the riichi aspect might be removed.
(riichi is from riichi Mahjong, which is a Japanese variant of Mahjong)

2. depending on where the animation is produced, there could be severe restrictions in character designs as well as "ecchi" moments. To put it simply, people might have to put up with censorship. certain animation series would likely have difficulty showing up if made in countries like the UK or the USA. Series like No Game No Life, Super Sonico, To Love RU, Monster Musume, or pretty much any ecchi series would never see the light of day.
Other series in which ecchi is not the main part of the show would be censored accordingly.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/30/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

Animation companies already outsource part of the anime production to other Asian countries such as S Korea and Taiwan. If "animation made outside of Japan" is taken in it's literal sense, the point is null. However, if we consider the case that the entire anime production is made outside of Japan, then there will be some changes. In particular:

1. the cultural aspect present in some anime will be lost or changed to accomodate for the new target audience. The main target audience for an animation series made outside of Japan is, of course, non-Japanese, and the series will reflect this change in demographic. of course, the series might still turn out to be enjoyable to native Japanese, but it just won't "feel" the same. Needless to say, shows which rely heavily on Japanese culture is unlikely to be made. Examples: Chihayafuru, Joshiraku, Shion no Ou.
Saki might still be made, since Mahjong is popular in other Asian countries as well, but the riichi aspect might be removed.
(riichi is from riichi Mahjong, which is a Japanese variant of Mahjong)

2. depending on where the animation is produced, there could be severe restrictions in character designs as well as "ecchi" moments. To put it simply, people might have to put up with censorship. certain animation series would likely have difficulty showing up if made in countries like the UK or the USA. Series like No Game No Life, Super Sonico, To Love RU, Monster Musume, or pretty much any ecchi series would never see the light of day.
Other series in which ecchi is not the main part of the show would be censored accordingly.


I think HBO series have proven North America at least has no problem with nudity, sex, and other risque topics. Also we have no problem with openly homesexual characters in the enteriment we consume. So by what logic do you say ecchi couldn't exist outside of Japan .
4490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 3/30/16
We've already got anime that isn't made in Japan. I enjoy all animation.
10581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 3/30/16

Ranwolf wrote:
I think HBO series have proven North America at least has no problem with nudity, sex, and other risque topics. Also we have no problem with openly homesexual characters in the enteriment we consume. So by what logic do you say ecchi couldn't exist outside of Japan .


there's a difference between nudity shown in cartoon vs nudity shown in movies/series.
movies/reality shows are given plenty of leeway, while animation are typically subject to censorship.
there's a reason even games are getting the censorship treatment before coming to US.
4563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / Decemberunderground
Offline
Posted 3/30/16

JosephJoestar01 wrote:

For the Japanese, anime is not just animation produced in their country, for them, anime is animation itself. We may not think of it that way, but ask any Japanese person and they´ll tell you that Adventure Time is just as much anime as Naruto is, the term anime is one of the most difficult to get right because Japan has a very different meaning to what the rest of the world says.

The creators of Avatar The Last Airbender stated that the best anime is the one that has a perfect balance between great action scenes, good drama and character development and an interesting story. Any animation project can achieve what they said, it doesn´t have to be restricted to Japan or any other country.


That because its only used to describe outside of Japan and use to be called Japanime.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/30/16

namealreadytaken wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:
I think HBO series have proven North America at least has no problem with nudity, sex, and other risque topics. Also we have no problem with openly homesexual characters in the enteriment we consume. So by what logic do you say ecchi couldn't exist outside of Japan .


there's a difference between nudity shown in cartoon vs nudity shown in movies/series.
movies/reality shows are given plenty of leeway, while animation are typically subject to censorship.
there's a reason even games are getting the censorship treatment before coming to US.


Mate the ESRB has no actual power. You do realise that It's the gaming and anime companies doing their own censorship. Usually under the deluded idea we of the west can't handle that kind of thing.
10581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 3/30/16

Ranwolf wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


Ranwolf wrote:
I think HBO series have proven North America at least has no problem with nudity, sex, and other risque topics. Also we have no problem with openly homesexual characters in the enteriment we consume. So by what logic do you say ecchi couldn't exist outside of Japan .


there's a difference between nudity shown in cartoon vs nudity shown in movies/series.
movies/reality shows are given plenty of leeway, while animation are typically subject to censorship.
there's a reason even games are getting the censorship treatment before coming to US.


Mate the ESRB has no actual power. You do realise that It's the gaming and anime companies doing their own censorship. Usually under the deluded idea we of the west can't handle that kind of thing.


true, but it so happens that the SJW and feminist are loud enough to cause all those censorship and what-not.
iirc they even caused game companies to cancel the release of DOA 3 in the west.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/30/16

namealreadytaken wrote:



true, but it so happens that the SJW and feminist are loud enough to cause all those censorship and what-not.
iirc they even caused game companies to cancel the release of DOA 3 in the west.


Yeah but the PS4 is region free ya know, nothing is stopping anyone from just importing a Japanese copy of DOA 3 . And besides there are still plenty of companies who are more than willing to give the middle finger to all such inbred idiots . And this is the modern age of computing, nothing is stop anyone from consuming whatever form of entertainment they want.
10581 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 3/30/16

Ranwolf wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:true, but it so happens that the SJW and feminist are loud enough to cause all those censorship and what-not.
iirc they even caused game companies to cancel the release of DOA 3 in the west.


Yeah but the PS4 is region free ya know, nothing is stopping anyone from just importing a Japanese copy of DOA 3 . And besides there are still plenty of companies who are more than willing to give the middle finger to all such inbred idiots . And this is the modern age of computing, nothing is stop anyone from consuming whatever form of entertainment they want.


point of this thread is if it's not made in Japan for whatever reason, which of course means that you can't simply import it.
i think it would be worse if they tried to make it in the UK. the british news (bbc) reporter pretty much called all anime as child porn.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 3/30/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

point of this thread is if it's not made in Japan for whatever reason, which of course means that you can't simply import it.
i think it would be worse if they tried to make it in the UK. the british news (bbc) reporter pretty much called all anime as child porn.


We all know ( no offense mate ) that the Brits have always been a little unhinged. I blame the 9 month cloud cover the limeys live under.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 3/30/16
Doesn't change much.
10228 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / United Kingdom
Offline
Posted 3/30/16
Then it wouldn't be anime. But the Americans sure have a good go at ruining anime with their crappy animation and awful accents
19478 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / NYC Metro Area
Offline
Posted 3/30/16
Probably not as popular, but Anime isn't all Japan has exported to the rest of the world. Revolutionized manufacturing with lean manufacturing (in all fairness borrowed ideas from Henry Ford and improved them, but w/e), robotics, martial arts, cars and music. Sure, it wouldn't be as popular in the West, but I highly doubt Japan wouldn't continue to affect our daily lives.
39015 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Tralfamadore
Offline
Posted 3/30/16
It's called RWBY.

1368 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / Underworld
Offline
Posted 3/30/16
then it would be very strange
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.