First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Black student tells white classmate he can’t wear dreadlocks because it’s my culture
17456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
(´◔౪◔)✂❤
Offline
Posted 4/1/16

Steelmonk wrote:

The Italians? Crappy court system, nice cars.
not good enough I suppose
Eznik 
58071 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Providence, RI
Offline
Posted 4/1/16
I thought dreadlocks can occur naturally and is not specific to just one culture.
6545 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M / Off the map.
Offline
Posted 4/1/16 , edited 4/1/16
They occur in many cultures, and religions/religious sects. If one follows a religious oath that prevents cutting hair, they could easily end up with dreadlocks.
37892 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Online
Posted 4/1/16

KarenAraragi wrote:


ZavinRoyalheart wrote:

Someones a special little snowflake.


I wonder if you get this reference.
"Hey, Moron! Fuckin' MORON!"
Let me know if you get the reference or not.


Huh?

https://whisper.sh/whisper/052072e678cb89ed57aa63b0056214be88e4a8/Hey-moron-Fuckin-moron-Hahaha-Reference-too-obscure
14891 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 4/1/16
Ignorance. She needs to take some history and religion classes and be silent. (From a Black girl majoring in history.)
13263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/1/16
The term "cultural appropriation" shouldn't apply to things that don't hold deep cultural significance. I know that isn't a good way to phrase that, but I mean, I understand complaints about Native American headdresses, because these are items which are major spiritual and political importance. I don't think people should be quite as rabid as they sometimes are, but I understand how it can be considered offensive.

However, things like dreadlocks and kimono are much more of a fashion item, so you can't really wear them disrespectfully. You aren't disrespecting a culture by adopting parts of it, you are showing an appreciation. Culture in this sense is meant to be shared.

Further, in a globalized world and a diverse country, expecting people to stay in their own cultural boxes seems extremely regressive, as you are essentially defining someone, and limiting to the color of their skin or their nationality instead of allowing access to the broad spectrum of the world.
35465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/1/16 , edited 4/1/16
Here's the raw footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAwSFv8e8K4

The woman has a right to speak up if she feels offended by something, of course. That's part of free expression. It's also part of free expression that she should be allowed to insist that no one but those she deems appropriate should be allowed to wear dreadlocks. I don't agree with her and think that Goldstein should wear his hair however he bloody well pleases, but she is free to speak up and say what she was saying. Goldstein also has every right to ignore her and to leave the conversation. That's yet another part of how free expression works. You're guaranteed freedom of speech, not an audience.

With all of that said, although Goldstein was reasonably perturbed after being told by some stranger he wasn't allowed to wear his hair as he pleases he was also the first person to lay hands upon anyone. The footage damns him in this regard. The woman extends her arm to point at Goldstein, Goldstein grabs her arm and walks by, she pushes Goldstein to get him to release her arm, he is the one who made the confrontation physical. That is inexcusable.

On the other hand, the woman follows up Goldstein's inappropriate actions by making the confrontation stay physical by obstructing his path up the stairs, grabbing him as he tries to leave, and pulling him back down the stairs. She doubles down by putting her hand against the camera of the bystander doing the filming, all of which is also inexcusable.

Basically no one gets my sympathy here. The woman was being obnoxious, Goldstein escalated things to the physical level, and the woman kept things at the physical level. Both were wrong.
10925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 4/1/16

BlueOni wrote:
Goldstein grabs her arm and walks by, she pushes Goldstein to get him to release her arm

watch the footage. he tries to walk away, but she grabs him, telling him to "come back", while he tells her to "get off [him]"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAwSFv8e8K4&t=26s
35465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/1/16 , edited 4/1/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

watch the footage. he tries to walk away, but she grabs him, telling him to "come back", while he tells her to "get off [him]"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAwSFv8e8K4&t=26s


He grabs her arm at 0:18, she pushes him to get him off of her at 0:19, she attempts to block his way up the stairs at 0:25, she pulls him back at 0:29. He initiated physical contact first. I linked to the footage, but your video seems to be identical to mine so either one is good.

Did I miss any physical contact prior to 0:18?
13263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/1/16 , edited 4/1/16

BlueOni wrote:

Here's the raw footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAwSFv8e8K4

The woman has a right to speak up if she feels offended by something, of course. That's part of free expression. It's also part of free expression that she should be allowed to insist that no one but those she deems appropriate should be allowed to wear dreadlocks. I don't agree with her and think that Goldstein should wear his hair however he bloody well pleases, but she is free to speak up and say what she was saying. Goldstein also has every right to ignore her and to leave the conversation. That's yet another part of how free expression works. You're guaranteed freedom of speech, not an audience.

With all of that said, although Goldstein was reasonably perturbed after being told by some stranger he wasn't allowed to wear his hair as he pleases he was also the first person to lay hands upon anyone. The footage damns him in this regard. The woman extends her arm to point at Goldstein, Goldstein grabs her arm and walks by, she pushes Goldstein to get him to release her arm, he is the one who made the confrontation physical. That is inexcusable.

On the other hand, the woman follows up Goldstein's inappropriate actions by making the confrontation stay physical by obstructing his path up the stairs, grabbing him as he tries to leave, and pulling him back down the stairs. She doubles down by putting her hand against the camera of the bystander doing the filming, all of which is also inexcusable.

Basically no one gets my sympathy here. The woman was being obnoxious, Goldstein escalated things to the physical level, and the woman kept things at the physical level. Both were wrong.


No one is arguing that she doesn't have the right to speak. People are just saying that what she is saying is tremendously stupid. And seriously, the guy did nothing wrong. He just touched her arm that she was putting in his face while trying to walk away, a far cry from making the confrontation physical. (From what I can tell, she didn't push him to get him off her. The opposite happened. He was trying to push her arm away and she pushed back to prevent him from leaving)
3046 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / Las Noches, Hueco...
Offline
Posted 4/1/16
lmao yet black women wear "white people" hair all the time... So much so that when they don't have Dey Weave done they will walk out the house with Wal-Mart bags on their heads.
35465 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/1/16 , edited 4/1/16

sundin13 wrote:

No one is arguing that she doesn't have the right to speak. People are just saying that what she is saying is tremendously stupid. And seriously, the guy did nothing wrong. He just touched her arm that she was putting in his face while trying to walk away, a far cry from making the confrontation physical.


I'm not really arguing against anyone. I'm just offering my assessment of the situation. You cannot, for my part and I suspect the law's part, grab peoples' arms because they're being obnoxious, and you cannot pull people back down stairways because you want to teach them not to touch people. This woman was more wrong than Goldstein, but Goldstein did do things that were also wrong.
10925 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 4/1/16

BlueOni wrote:Did I miss any physical contact prior to 0:18?


ah, my bad. seems like i overlooked 0:18. i thought he was just brushing her off.
supposedly, the confrontation happened before the footage. of course, both sides give completely different views on what actually happened, and it's something only they know (unless there's a camera footage from the university showing what happened)

according to the girl (news sources seem to refuse to release her name for some reason), the guy used derogatory words against her
according to Goldstein, she was handling fliers and told him that they don't want people like him in there (white, with dreadlocks)
it's also possible some physical confrontation happened prior (grabbing the arm, pushing), but unless more information is released, we'll never know.

also, the video is exactly the same that you posted.
13263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/1/16

BlueOni wrote:

I'm not really arguing against anyone. I'm just offering my assessment of the situation. You cannot, for my part and I suspect the law's part, grab peoples' arms because they're being obnoxious, and you cannot pull people back down stairways because you want to teach them not to touch people. This woman was more wrong than Goldstein, but Goldstein did do things that were also wrong.


You can't grab someone's arm that they are waving in your face to try to get them out of your face? With what knowledge I do have of the law I'd seriously doubt that would be breaking any law, especially with the way he acted (intent is a big part of crimes like that). His intent was clearly to get away from the situation and I see nothing wrong with trying to push someone away who is getting up in your face to leave such a situation.

I'm sorry, but I just can't understand your perspective.
11235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Clinton, NY
Offline
Posted 4/1/16

aeb0717 wrote:

I wonder if she still doesn't know where Egypt is. lol


She knows, she was baiting him to say Africa.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.