Post Reply How to stick to one idea when you got too many?
46885 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/4/16
Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches.

So, I have a bunch of ideas for a story and yet I can't stick to one. How do you go about doing it?

Enjoy!!!
Posted 4/4/16 , edited 4/4/16
Write them down.

Choose which one to write.

If you can't decide have some other opinions on it.


Then if you want to work on another idea you got it wrote down.

prioritize certain ones.

For example I wrote down some thoughts and ideas I had for making a crunchyroll RPG fan game. (Because my april fools went well...)

Crunchy RPG

Mechanics

- Normal overworld with story gameplay in computer

- Moderators turn into avatars when entering computer

- Learn how to use switchs

- Better graphics

- UI overhaul


Its a very small list but it helps me somewhat when trying to think of what to do.

Still might make this a thing I really don't know.
19185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
47 / F / Reston, VA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/4/16
Write each idea on it's own sheet of paper or note card. Lay the cards out and see if the ideas work together or not. If they do - create a outline for your story using the ideas in the order you'd want them. If they don't, hang onto them and see if they become their own story or fit into another story you write.
46885 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/4/16

SylveonLuna wrote:

Write them down.

Choose which one to write.

If you can't decide have some other opinions on it.


Then if you want to work on another idea you got it wrote down.

prioritize certain ones.


What about mixing up story plots?
Posted 4/4/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


SylveonLuna wrote:

Write them down.

Choose which one to write.

If you can't decide have some other opinions on it.


Then if you want to work on another idea you got it wrote down.

prioritize certain ones.


What about mixing up story plots?


Writing down these thoughts will allow you to have a list and you can mix and match all you want.
46885 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/4/16

SylveonLuna wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


SylveonLuna wrote:

Write them down.

Choose which one to write.

If you can't decide have some other opinions on it.


Then if you want to work on another idea you got it wrote down.

prioritize certain ones.


What about mixing up story plots?


Writing down these thoughts will allow you to have a list and you can mix and match all you want.


Thanks.
Posted 4/4/16
Bang your head till you forget all but one.
46885 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/4/16

Hail_King_Kakao wrote:

Bang your head till you forget all but one.


Umm...ouch!
5255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M / Tigard, Oregon, U...
Offline
Posted 4/4/16
-Write them down.
-Think about them really hard.
-Find out which one you would enjoy the most.
-Work on that idea.
-Repeat until all your ideas are done or you feel like dropping them
6178 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/5/16
I think the first thing to do is to write all your ideas somewhere so you don't forget anything while working on another story.

I don't write stories but while writing for my blog or drawing I usually have a bunch of projects in progress at the same time. I work on the one that inspires me at the moment and I stop when I get tired or I start working on another one when I get the inspiration. I don't see any problem with working on multiple things at the same time as long as you're able to do it without mixing ideas.
3938 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/15/16
I'm putting it everywhere again but I have a few ideas I want to put into animation, when I gain more creative skills, I'll look at the idea that involves the least amount of writing and people, and build a team based around that, kind of forced into focusing on something limited. if what you can do now/first with limits turns out awesome you're open to try the more complex ideas, though you'd come back to the problem of choice but you should have a better idea of how to choose. I've actually eliminated an idea where I did everything, including dialogue, but recorded my voice and found it flat and thought "no one wants to listen to that!" so I should eventually move onto the next
You must be logged in to post.