First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Post Reply Bungou Stray Dogs Discussions
52869 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CA
Offline
Posted 4/13/16
Love the subtle ost (jazz <3)...but the tonal balance is odd with how the later scenes are presented. Since this is set for 2 seasons, they have all the time to set their perfect balance in delivery and still hoping for the best.

Although in today's episode, it is beginning to show a bit that BONES is working on 3 high animation intensive shows as seen with that walking section...they didn't even bother with the background or the pedestrians, and I can't say that was suppose to fit in with the current style of the show...
44197 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / ?
Offline
Posted 4/13/16
I really want to like this series, but so far it has yet to live up to it's potential. The humor might work out, but its execution is too forced to be actually amusing. On top of that nothing exciting has happened yet. There seems to be indications that it will get more serious, but that should have happened long ago.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 4/13/16
I still like this show...but the whole comedy bit with the bomb came out of right field there......


I think it'll start getting serious next week though; the vampire looking guy must be the antagionist.
41326 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
54 / M / East Coast
Offline
Posted 4/13/16

Swaggercandy wrote:

Episode 2: Yokohama Gangster Paradise

Dazai always be trolling though. But can you die instantly from wedging yourself in an oil drum? Or will it just be slow and painful? Or rather how long was he there for?

The comedy can work, if they plan to stay in a comedic nature, but it takes away from the seriousness unless you can do it right. I feel like it wants to be more serious than it has to be but it still wants to retain a comedic nature which can work. An example that did the right amount of comedy and seriousness would be Kekkai Sensen.

Oh so after Mitsuba graduated from Seitokai Yakuindomo she came with her unknown brother and changed her name and became a part of the Armed Detective Agency. I like her already.

Looking forward to the next episode. I would rather have them either take a more serious route or take on a comedic route, it seems lost as to what it wants to do right now but I think they should let up on the comedy during serious situations.



Looking forward to the next episode. I would rather have them either take a more serious route or take on a comedic route, it seems lost as to what it wants to do right now but I think they should let up on the comedy during serious situations.


A serious question ? Is it me because I like this better than the comedy / serious tone with Twin Star Exorcists ? I am not looking for a lomg drwan out answer.
8039 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / Canada
Online
Posted 4/13/16
You don't have to join us, but you really don't have any say in the matter. It's a trap!

I really like Kunikida's ability. I imagine it must have limits such as that he can't create money.

Don't know anything beyond what we've seen, but going to say there is a good chance Atsushi is related to a few characters if we go simply off of physical appearances.
24883 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Bay Area
Online
Posted 4/13/16

FLjerry2011 wrote:


A serious question ? Is it me because I like this better than the comedy / serious tone with Twin Star Exorcists ? I am not looking for a lomg drwan out answer.


For me it just looks like the style is too serious for the type of comedy they are throwing out. Like someone said earlier it does seem forced.

But it works for some people nothing wrong with liking it though better than another
5650 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Australia
Offline
Posted 4/14/16
The first episode had me laughing out loud in the first few minutes and then intrigued me for the rest of the run time. Episode 2 is not working so great but I'm kind of hoping that now we're set up and ready to go.
13945 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / New Jersey
Offline
Posted 4/15/16
I like it so far. it'll be a nice break from my preferred fare of CGDCT (Anne-Happy). It does remind me of an older anime called Get Backers, with a detective agency full of super-powered/supernatural people. I like the humor but I figure things will get serious pretty fast.
81 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F / UK
Offline
Posted 4/15/16
I really like this anime so far, the characters are great, the animation is amazing! I just hope that it continues to get better!
39 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F
Offline
Posted 4/15/16
I'm already in love with this show. The art style, plot, everything. I have a feeling it's going to be one of those shows that doesn't get enough credit.
1808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / US
Offline
Posted 4/16/16
This episode was a bit slow for me. Luckily there weren't as many literary references as the first one or if there were, they were better hidden so it wasn't as overwhelming.

New characters:

Tanizaki Junichiro – Light Snow

Sasameyuki (literally "A Light Snowfall,") is the novel regarded as his masterpiece. Published in English translation as The Makioka Sisters, a detailed characterization of four daughters of a wealthy Osaka merchant family who see their way of life slipping away in the early years of World War II

Tanizaki Naomi

Naomi is a novel written by Tanizaki Junichiro about a man trying to groom Naomi into being a westernized girl

Fukuzawa Yukichi – All Men Are Created Equal

Regarded as one of the founders of modern Japan – a ton of writings on fostering the independence of the individual to benefit the society as a whole, translations of western works, etc.
13377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / F
Offline
Posted 4/16/16

gabuhaha wrote:

This episode was a bit slow for me. Luckily there weren't as many literary references as the first one or if there were, they were better hidden so it wasn't as overwhelming.

New characters:

Tanizaki Junichiro – Light Snow

Sasameyuki (literally "A Light Snowfall,") is the novel regarded as his masterpiece. Published in English translation as The Makioka Sisters, a detailed characterization of four daughters of a wealthy Osaka merchant family who see their way of life slipping away in the early years of World War II

Tanizaki Naomi

Naomi is a novel written by Tanizaki Junichiro about a man trying to groom Naomi into being a westernized girl

Fukuzawa Yukichi – All Men Are Created Equal

Regarded as one of the founders of modern Japan – a ton of writings on fostering the independence of the individual to benefit the society as a whole, translations of western works, etc.


Thank you for all your posts explaining how the authors are connected to the characters and their abilities. I don't know Japanese literature and really appreciate all your posts. Even not knowing the references, I'm loving this show so far. I like that they are able to work a little bit of comedy into the show. Dazai is probably my favourite character so far. Always look forward to this one.
1808 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / US
Offline
Posted 4/16/16

treehousebear wrote:

Thank you for all your posts explaining how the authors are connected to the characters and their abilities. I don't know Japanese literature and really appreciate all your posts. Even not knowing the references, I'm loving this show so far. I like that they are able to work a little bit of comedy into the show. Dazai is probably my favourite character so far. Always look forward to this one.


I'm glad I could be of help. I've studied Japanese history so I get most of the those references in a typical show but my Japanese was never good enough to study literature so all the references in this show are driving me nuts. I'll probably end up reading the more famous works that have been translated into English at some point.

Daizai is my favorite character too
63870 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
33 / M / Seattle
Offline
Posted 4/18/16
Episode 2

Those detectives sure are a handful to deal with. Atsushi is put to the test to see if he has what it takes to join them with what ends up being a bomb hostage situation that was all staged by the detectives. Certainly I knew it was just an act with the way Dazai acted. Atsushi went and tried to minimize the damage by using his tiger form to absorb the bomb, but it never came down to that as the bomb was just a dud. Well, the comedy aspect didn't exactly work for me, but it did set things up for Atsushi to begin his new life with the detectives.
32279 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Ann Arbor
Offline
Posted 4/20/16
Ep 2

The soundtrack really stood out in this episode. I can agree with the issues about the comedy and seriousness, it feels too disconnected at times so I'm hoping that it'll work better in the future. The powers seem cool though, and I'm certain that when the story really gets going, we will have plenty of awesome action scenes. Dazai is such a troll, and Atsushi proved his usefulness and is now a member of the agency. I am enjoying the chemistry between the characters so far.



Blackmail at its finest.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.