First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply Are westerners too argumentative?
9816 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / F / Johnstown, PA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/8/16 , edited 4/8/16
Well, the West pretty much ditched the "watch what you say and never ruffle feathers" thing when the Victorian Era ended. Thankfully. Just reading about that kind of tight-lipped and masked attitude alarms me. It brings to mind the Middle Ages, when one wrong word against an official could send even a small child to the gallows. I prefer the "too argumentative" West to a world where a small slip in my social life is highly likely to ruin me.
20967 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 4/9/16
been playing mmo's for a long time both Japanese/SEA and US and i can confirm that westerners are more argumentative and generally unkind to strangers unlike those in asian places.

Not sure if it's due to culture or what.
27254 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/9/16 , edited 4/9/16
Been around a few countries. Westerners ARE more argumentative, at least in public. They don't wear as much of a mask so they appear less refined in public. But that's a form of truthfulness that I can tolerate, although I think it's better if everyone watches their conduct in public to avoid unnecessary confrontation.

I think there's also a difference between city folk and country folk. City-dwellers are more paranoid and hasty and disrespectful. Country people are generally warmer and more genuinely inviting.


I DO, however, like how westerners are more likely to talk to strangers. Although I was raised in a fairly strict household by western standards and know the norms, I did pick up some western habits that raised a few eyebrows when I was in Japan. Fortunately, they weren't bad manners, so people thought I was extra polite when I was just doing things that are normal here.

Whenever someone sneezed, I couldn't help but say "bless you" even though they didn't understand. I eventually stopped. Instead, I carried around some tissues and started giving them to people who sneezed instead, since it felt sort of wrong to just ignore them. I carry tissue all the time, anyway, so it wasn't out of the way for me.

I also held doors open for people behind me, and they were very shocked by that behavior in the city. Everyone would bow to me and thank me with a surprised voice.

I didn't tip there but I would always let them know I enjoyed the meal instead.

My family always thought I had excellent table manners and ate meals in a refined way in public even though nobody taught me to eat that way. I clean up any messes I make at the table with a napkin and arrange all the utensils and dishes so that they are in the same positions they were in when they arrived at the table. If that's not possible, I arrange them neatly some other way to make them easy to move. Generally, it's just to make things easier for the wait staff but I'm sure it's appreciated and makes a good impression. Some people think I'm nuts and that it's too complicated, but I'm used to doing it. But it seems like it's good etiquette no matter where you are.

6377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/9/16

RedExodus wrote:

well to be fair, Japan has low crime rates despite the japanese people supposedly not "sticking out" for themselves


actually there is a fairly high rate of stalking, just because crime is not reported does not make it non-existent. that is the problem with looking at crime stats, they don't reflect the actual number of crimes.

The japanese like to save face, they don't like being wrong which is why they fear making a solid opinion.

It is better to stand for something than to be all whishy-washy and slippery like a greased eel.
11782 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 4/9/16

Morbidhanson wrote:



Whenever someone sneezed, I couldn't help but say "bless you" even though they didn't understand. I eventually stopped.



Oh god, I don't think I'd be able to break the habit.
11740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/9/16

wolfbrother0 wrote:


RedExodus wrote:

well to be fair, Japan has low crime rates despite the japanese people supposedly not "sticking out" for themselves


actually there is a fairly high rate of stalking, just because crime is not reported does not make it non-existent. that is the problem with looking at crime stats, they don't reflect the actual number of crimes.

The japanese like to save face, they don't like being wrong which is why they fear making a solid opinion.

It is better to stand for something than to be all whishy-washy and slippery like a greased eel.


if ur sayin the japanese people are wishy-washy, that kinda goes against what rachel said about them just looking out for the others rather than being simply apathetic which japanese commentors appear to agree with

granted, a japanese comment did say that they generally don't push their opinions unless they are confident in them but to me, that sounds better than someone who pushes his opinions despite having no confidence/knowledge in the subject. i dont appreciate when people only want the last laugh which isn't really productive. its worth taking a leaf from each other imo


my opinion of japan being safe relative to other countries didnt really come from statistics though but from people who lived there and word of mouth in general. rachel herself made a vid about japan's safety though at the same time also having a story about being stalked by a japanese dude who apparently "admired her fashion sense" so im not really surprised. she never saw him again btw





is there not one comment supporting the eastern mindset? the western pride is stronk in this one
52866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 4/9/16

Ranwolf wrote:

Fuck her and her viewpoints. When the rest of the world can handle their shit without western soldiers dying to fix their problems is the day she can complain about the west.



That why its important to bring back Ancient Rome! So Legion can take over their country to make one of their terrority! Instead of just fixing their problem, also take over their land. -copy Marcus Octavius expression evil smirks-

Come on now, I know you want to join Roman! -GRIN- j/k

33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/9/16
I wouldn't say the problem is that we're argumentative. It's about what we're argumentative about and, as someone mentioned, invasive.
2702 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
You wanna fight?
16807 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Hoosierville
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
Fuck you were not argumentative we are very friendly and welcoming and I dare you to prove otherwise!
11740 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
41705 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
Like my level of apprehension and impulse is any of your business.
12251 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
New york.
Offline
Posted 4/10/16 , edited 4/10/16
No offense to the girl. Her other vids are actually pretty cool.

YET IF I"M BEING COMPLETELY HONEST---

I feel like the girl in the video is just...advocating that Japan is less argumentative then the West, because she really, really likes her Japanese husband.



She's not wrong about the West being more argumentative though.

Western culture is more brash, & upfront. It's both a bad, & good thing.

You get the rudeness, & the stubbornness--- but you also get the results, & the chance to open a dialog.

That last bit is important, because without expressing your thoughts in an argument, you end up shaping society to a form that allows people to be oppressed. Not to say that Japan is oppressed, or anything. Yet reputation IS a much more important thing over there. At least from what I've seen.

Gosh, that's such a bad generalization on my part, but since we're all generalizing anyway, lets go.

The mindset of "It's better to be neutral" isn't bad, but it certainly doesn't do much to promote ones thoughts, opinions, & most of all--change.



A fine example being me. I HATE getting into arguments, or deep discussions, because they're a huge bother. I even contemplated whether or not I should post this response, because it could be a hassle to truly explain my side on the matter. Yet not saying anything would just mean my thoughts weren't heard. Is that a good thing? Is that a bad thing? Who knows, really. Yet a society without arguments would be very, very, bland.


Yet seriously-

The girl in the video brings up a good topic, but she did it in a way that felt sorta Like, ""Ever since I've been to Japan, I've evolved."".

--------Which is a paraphrase, of course. Yet you get the idea.---------

At one point in the video, her stance on things got pretty antagonizing. She even devolved into mocking; which is something I normally wouldn't mind if it just didn't feel so hypocritical. That whole "I used to be like that" power trip was just cringey.

And another thing.

Speaking of stances,---she said she's "grown out of being on a side", yet she's on the side that chooses to side with no sides? Which is somehow not the Western side..???

Whoa.

That got Meta.



To sum things all up

- Great topic from you.

- Her opening argument isn't wrong.

- She failed to see all sides of the spectrum like she claims Westerners don't do.

- The later half of her video was pretentious.

- It's not entirely her fault. Like everyone, (Including myself) - she's still learning.

- My dog ate my pizza crust while I was writing this.

- I may, or may not be crying right now.
77 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
The Japanese view crime differently than American's. When crime is committed the whole community is usually affected, while in America nobody cares unless it happened to them.

So, criminals tend to be vastly more remorseful in Japan, which causes recidivism rates to be lower.
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
Everything should be questioned and cases argued.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.