First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply If the Sun went dark would all life on Earth eventually end?
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
With our tech, like everyone said, yeah there would have to be a lottery to see who gets to be in the self-sustaining dome.

we can mimics sunlight easy enough. So the basic crops and cattle feed can be cultivated but in small amounts. That means we can keep animals too.

but we'd need an energy source and I don't think we can mine for oil and coal anymore.

living underwater near volcanic vents makes it easier to keep the dome heated and might be a potential power source. Idk, can we already convert heat to electricity?

So yeah we'd survive but fuck, we'd be out like 90% of our population.

it's actually act welcoming idea. We get to choose a society where you'd only get in if your IQ is high and you're not genetically born with harsh diseases. Pretty cool civ.
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/10/16

Balzack wrote:

Yes, all life would end.


^
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
Also splatoon wouldn't be fiction anymore ^^
42391 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
Literally the darkest time in history.
8651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Pennsylvania
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
*Cough cough* I assume no scientists are using crunchyroll.

If the sun did go out it would be extremely dark, especially since the Light from the moon is just the suns like being reflected onto it
DrNope 
19119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/10/16 , edited 4/10/16
I don't believe all life would end if the Sun went out. A lot of life lives in deep oceans that never see the sun light. But live near thermal vents and feed off nutrients and minerals from those vents. Bacteria would more than likely survive long after humanity died out due to lack of Sun too.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/16

DrNope wrote:

I don't believe all life would end if the Sun went out. A lot of life lives in deep oceans that never see the sun light. But live near thermal vents and feed off nutrients and minerals from those vents. Bacteria would more than likely survive long after humanity died out due to lack of Sun too.


Wait but the real question is would the thermal vents be hot enough to keep the water around it liquid? With the sun cold, you'd be talking about temperatures colder than pluto
6930 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Online
Posted 4/10/16
I actually thought of a story world where night time was a lot long than hours but days and maybe weeks or months and how there's "Night Raiders" and "Dark Bandits" people using night vision a lot more and being cautious much more about what could "Lurk in the dark"
10595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 4/10/16

lambofgenesis wrote:


DrNope wrote:

I don't believe all life would end if the Sun went out. A lot of life lives in deep oceans that never see the sun light. But live near thermal vents and feed off nutrients and minerals from those vents. Bacteria would more than likely survive long after humanity died out due to lack of Sun too.


Wait but the real question is would the thermal vents be hot enough to keep the water around it liquid? With the sun cold, you'd be talking about temperatures colder than pluto

remember that the layer of ice would insulate the ocean, so it wouldn't be as bad.
11505 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/16

namealreadytaken wrote:


lambofgenesis wrote:


DrNope wrote:

I don't believe all life would end if the Sun went out. A lot of life lives in deep oceans that never see the sun light. But live near thermal vents and feed off nutrients and minerals from those vents. Bacteria would more than likely survive long after humanity died out due to lack of Sun too.


Wait but the real question is would the thermal vents be hot enough to keep the water around it liquid? With the sun cold, you'd be talking about temperatures colder than pluto

remember that the layer of ice would insulate the ocean, so it wouldn't be as bad.


Without an actual heat source, all that heat will dissipate eventually. I mean you can keep warm soup in a thermos but it'll get cold eventually
11019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/16

lambofgenesis wrote:

So yeah we'd survive but fuck, we'd be out like 90% of our population.



We'd be out a lot more than 90% of the population. Right now the total work population is some a little over 7 billion people.

Your 10% survival rate would have over 70,000,000 people in need of oxygen, water, foodstuffs, and sufficient volume to move around in to prevent cabin fever setting in and driving everybody nuts.

That's not possible at our current level of technology. Check out the research conducted on the various closed-system experiments we've run so far; if nothing else, the inhabitants would eventually tear one another apart. And note while you do - all of those were surface applications 100% dependent on sunlight still. A fully closed and isolated - even from the sun! - system we've never done.

No, we'd be out 100% of the human population.
69987 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / Where the heart is
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
Nope, we'd all be frozen solid
10595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 4/10/16

lambofgenesis wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


lambofgenesis wrote:


DrNope wrote:

I don't believe all life would end if the Sun went out. A lot of life lives in deep oceans that never see the sun light. But live near thermal vents and feed off nutrients and minerals from those vents. Bacteria would more than likely survive long after humanity died out due to lack of Sun too.


Wait but the real question is would the thermal vents be hot enough to keep the water around it liquid? With the sun cold, you'd be talking about temperatures colder than pluto

remember that the layer of ice would insulate the ocean, so it wouldn't be as bad.


Without an actual heat source, all that heat will dissipate eventually. I mean you can keep warm soup in a thermos but it'll get cold eventually


the earth itself is the heat source.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/16
You might have bacteria and such survive around thermal vents at the bottom of the ocean.

As for the rest, even the atmosphere would freeze after a month or two.
28224 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/10/16

JustineKo2 wrote:
Such depressing, defeatist responses, I was hoping to see a few creative ideas put forth utilizing current technology or possible developments. I like the idea of inhabiting near vents in the sea. You have heat, water and a source of organic material.


The responses are depressing because you're proposing a no win scenario. Short of having the capability for faster than light travel and interstellar colonization we'd be dead one way or another.



JustineKo2 wrote:
What about nuclear generators to produce light and heat for growing crops? If the entire ocean doesn't freeze then we have all the cooling water we need. The Earth itself produces a lot of heat, we just need to dig deep to tap into that, not so deep in active volcanic areas.


The oceans will still eventually freeze. It would just be on a much bigger time scale ( few hundreds of thousands of years or so ). We lack the technology to build and maintain a complete ecosystem. Never mind one deep enough underground or deep enough underwater that could withstand the pressure. Anything we did build would be in the same boat as the International Space Station: One system failure or even just a fire could kill us all.

This isn't just a matter of no more warmth. We would lose both our atmosphere ( which helps shield us from cosmic radiation ) and the sun's heliosheath ( which shields the solar system from intergalactic radiation ). As is, what cosmic radiation does reach us through all these layers of protection right now still penetrates about 3 kms deep underground. So even if we found a warm place to not immediately die we're still gonna get the shit irradiated out of us ( hope you like cancer~ ) while we wait for our inevitable total demise.

And all of this is still ignoring the fact that just switching the sun off in and by itself would kill us all for the simple reason that with no nuclear reaction going on the sun would collapse under its own gravity.

Which, again, ends up with us either being hurled off into space or colliding with Jupiter. >.>

So no, short of achieving Star Trek levels of technology next week we simply would not survive.





First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.