First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply AMC to allow texting during movies
18690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 4/16/16

bethos30 wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


bethos30 wrote:
There are good phones that have an automatic feature to dim considerably where if it doesn't bother the person in front of it using in a dark room then it obviously doesn't disturb anyone else in the movie theater.

Other more important point...If you block wireless signal in the theater how will you ever receive an emergency call or better yet report an emergency(i.e. somebody shooting up the theater) when it's happening in the theater.


of course it won't disturb the person using the phone.
it's like saying that if your roommates (assume you have them) are sleeping but you're awake and using the laptop with the lights off, the dim light will not disturb the guys sleeping because you're not bothered by it. maybe some people won't be bothered, but some people find it quite distracting.

by "blocking signals" i mean it inside the room, where there's little reason to use the internet.
the signal would not be blocked outside the room, so people who need to make an emergency call can just leave the room and use their phones. of course, this point is moot as explained in my previous post.


So you're saying very low dim lights would disturb you or anyone else for that matter? How sensitive or intolerant do you have to be to get annoyed over a dim light that you can't even see. Lmao.

Also, even if it's in the room you're still preventing people's right to receive and make emergency calls.

You again have proven no point....


if it is right beside you it is distracting...
Posted 4/16/16

redokami wrote:


bethos30 wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


bethos30 wrote:
There are good phones that have an automatic feature to dim considerably where if it doesn't bother the person in front of it using in a dark room then it obviously doesn't disturb anyone else in the movie theater.

Other more important point...If you block wireless signal in the theater how will you ever receive an emergency call or better yet report an emergency(i.e. somebody shooting up the theater) when it's happening in the theater.


of course it won't disturb the person using the phone.
it's like saying that if your roommates (assume you have them) are sleeping but you're awake and using the laptop with the lights off, the dim light will not disturb the guys sleeping because you're not bothered by it. maybe some people won't be bothered, but some people find it quite distracting.

by "blocking signals" i mean it inside the room, where there's little reason to use the internet.
the signal would not be blocked outside the room, so people who need to make an emergency call can just leave the room and use their phones. of course, this point is moot as explained in my previous post.


So you're saying very low dim lights would disturb you or anyone else for that matter? How sensitive or intolerant do you have to be to get annoyed over a dim light that you can't even see. Lmao.

Also, even if it's in the room you're still preventing people's right to receive and make emergency calls.

You again have proven no point....


if it is right beside you it is distracting...


How is that any different from someone next to you sneezing or coughing if they have a cold or laughing or talking during the movie which people still do? If it bothers you that much then you should move to another part of the theater.
11768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 4/16/16

namealreadytaken wrote:


bethos30 wrote:
There are good phones that have an automatic feature to dim considerably where if it doesn't bother the person in front of it using in a dark room then it obviously doesn't disturb anyone else in the movie theater.

Other more important point...If you block wireless signal in the theater how will you ever receive an emergency call or better yet report an emergency(i.e. somebody shooting up the theater) when it's happening in the theater.


of course it won't disturb the person using the phone.
it's like saying that if your roommates (assume you have them) are sleeping but you're awake and using the laptop with the lights off, the dim light will not disturb the guys sleeping because you're not bothered by it. maybe some people won't be bothered, but some people find it quite distracting.

by "blocking signals" i mean it inside the room, where there's little reason to use the internet.
the signal would not be blocked outside the room, so people who need to make an emergency call can just leave the room and use their phones. of course, this point is moot as explained in my previous post.


I wouldn't bother trying if I were you. Some people just refuse to understand what it means to be courteous to others. The world revolves around them.
14745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 4/16/16
Even one Alamo Drafthouse exec tried to kiss up to AMC by saying "Well....we might text", but that was quickly backed down by the higher ups.

This is ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE. And any YouTuber knows what he immediately thinks when hears "Alamo Drafthouse" and "Anti-Texting"...
No matter what sort of immature teenage jerk the audience member may be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1COD6IIcwI
85263 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Louisville, KY
Offline
Posted 4/16/16
I won't be going to any AMC theaters then.
4052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/16

bethos30 wrote:


redokami wrote:


bethos30 wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


bethos30 wrote:
There are good phones that have an automatic feature to dim considerably where if it doesn't bother the person in front of it using in a dark room then it obviously doesn't disturb anyone else in the movie theater.

Other more important point...If you block wireless signal in the theater how will you ever receive an emergency call or better yet report an emergency(i.e. somebody shooting up the theater) when it's happening in the theater.


of course it won't disturb the person using the phone.
it's like saying that if your roommates (assume you have them) are sleeping but you're awake and using the laptop with the lights off, the dim light will not disturb the guys sleeping because you're not bothered by it. maybe some people won't be bothered, but some people find it quite distracting.

by "blocking signals" i mean it inside the room, where there's little reason to use the internet.
the signal would not be blocked outside the room, so people who need to make an emergency call can just leave the room and use their phones. of course, this point is moot as explained in my previous post.


So you're saying very low dim lights would disturb you or anyone else for that matter? How sensitive or intolerant do you have to be to get annoyed over a dim light that you can't even see. Lmao.

Also, even if it's in the room you're still preventing people's right to receive and make emergency calls.

You again have proven no point....


if it is right beside you it is distracting...


How is that any different from someone next to you sneezing or coughing if they have a cold or laughing or talking during the movie which people still do? If it bothers you that much then you should move to another part of the theater.



Dude are you really arguing this much for the sake of texting during a movie? Are you seriously so addicted to your phone you can't put the stupid thing down for an hour or two in order to watch the damn movie you payed money to see?

I would also like to point out your first post makes it sound like they just decided to ban it. But texting during a movie has always been against the rules so all that's happaned is they decided to NOT make special areas where it's okay to text during a movie.

Oh and regarding your argument it doesn't bother others I think the fact they recieved backlash so fast they immediately took it back proves you VERY VERY ON SO VERY wrong. If it's really such a non issue and no one is bothered by it there wouldn't have been so much pressure to not do this.


In the end there are two facts you can't argue. First some people are annoyed and/or distracted by people texting near them during a movie. This is especially true if the movie have dark or quiet moments where the movie itself isn't making much noise or light. Second there is no reason you should need to text during a movie. You payed money to see it so watch it! Your precious phone won't run away if you leave it alone for a little while. If there is an emergency you can leave for a few minutes to deal with it and then come back. There is no good excuse for texting during a movie .

"How is that any different from someone next to you sneezing or coughing if they have a cold or laughing or talking during the movie which people still do? If it bothers you that much then you should move to another part of the theater."
That stuff is also annoying and distracting but unlike texting sneezing and coughing while your sick can't exactly be controlled. Although if you are sick enough to where you are doing that constantly you really shouldn't be at the movies... like seriously go home and rest. As for laughing you do know you can be kicked out of a theater if you are too loud and obnoxious right? If it's just light and minor laughter and noise then it's still generally considered distracting but it's ignoble since we can't control every little thing people do and people can't easily control things like laughter anyway. But again texting is something you can certainly control and there is no need to bother people around you because you can't put the stupid thing down.
Posted 4/16/16

Metazoxan wrote:


bethos30 wrote:


redokami wrote:


bethos30 wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


bethos30 wrote:
There are good phones that have an automatic feature to dim considerably where if it doesn't bother the person in front of it using in a dark room then it obviously doesn't disturb anyone else in the movie theater.

Other more important point...If you block wireless signal in the theater how will you ever receive an emergency call or better yet report an emergency(i.e. somebody shooting up the theater) when it's happening in the theater.


of course it won't disturb the person using the phone.
it's like saying that if your roommates (assume you have them) are sleeping but you're awake and using the laptop with the lights off, the dim light will not disturb the guys sleeping because you're not bothered by it. maybe some people won't be bothered, but some people find it quite distracting.

by "blocking signals" i mean it inside the room, where there's little reason to use the internet.
the signal would not be blocked outside the room, so people who need to make an emergency call can just leave the room and use their phones. of course, this point is moot as explained in my previous post.


So you're saying very low dim lights would disturb you or anyone else for that matter? How sensitive or intolerant do you have to be to get annoyed over a dim light that you can't even see. Lmao.

Also, even if it's in the room you're still preventing people's right to receive and make emergency calls.

You again have proven no point....


if it is right beside you it is distracting...


How is that any different from someone next to you sneezing or coughing if they have a cold or laughing or talking during the movie which people still do? If it bothers you that much then you should move to another part of the theater.



Dude are you really arguing this much for the sake of texting during a movie? Are you seriously so addicted to your phone you can't put the stupid thing down for an hour or two in order to watch the damn movie you payed money to see?

I would also like to point out your first post makes it sound like they just decided to ban it. But texting during a movie has always been against the rules so all that's happaned is they decided to NOT make special areas where it's okay to text during a movie.

Oh and regarding your argument it doesn't bother others I think the fact they recieved backlash so fast they immediately took it back proves you VERY VERY ON SO VERY wrong. If it's really such a non issue and no one is bothered by it there wouldn't have been so much pressure to not do this.


In the end there are two facts you can't argue. First some people are annoyed and/or distracted by people texting near them during a movie. This is especially true if the movie have dark or quiet moments where the movie itself isn't making much noise or light. Second there is no reason you should need to text during a movie. You payed money to see it so watch it! Your precious phone won't run away if you leave it alone for a little while. If there is an emergency you can leave for a few minutes to deal with it and then come back. There is no good excuse for texting during a movie .

"How is that any different from someone next to you sneezing or coughing if they have a cold or laughing or talking during the movie which people still do? If it bothers you that much then you should move to another part of the theater."
That stuff is also annoying and distracting but unlike texting sneezing and coughing while your sick can't exactly be controlled. Although if you are sick enough to where you are doing that constantly you really shouldn't be at the movies... like seriously go home and rest. As for laughing you do know you can be kicked out of a theater if you are too loud and obnoxious right? If it's just light and minor laughter and noise then it's still generally considered distracting but it's ignoble since we can't control every little thing people do and people can't easily control things like laughter anyway. But again texting is something you can certainly control and there is no need to bother people around you because you can't put the stupid thing down.


I disagree in both your points that are very much arguable. My phone makes no noise and no light distracts anyone even if they are close so I can text freely throughout the entire movie if I want and nobody has ever complained about it. So, there's a real life proven fact.

Second argument, an emergency is not controlled and sometimes you need to respond quickly and not go outside assuming if you can even go outside and not the person victim of an emergency trapped in a room because some brilliant guy decided to block signal within the room.

Also, you can control your coughing , laughing, and everything else. Try it right now, see if you can avoid coughing or avoid laughing at something...you can if you try! So, humans can control every little thing they do.

Done and argued with valid points.
18690 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Online
Posted 4/16/16

Metazoxan wrote:


bethos30 wrote:


redokami wrote:


bethos30 wrote:


namealreadytaken wrote:


bethos30 wrote:
There are good phones that have an automatic feature to dim considerably where if it doesn't bother the person in front of it using in a dark room then it obviously doesn't disturb anyone else in the movie theater.

Other more important point...If you block wireless signal in the theater how will you ever receive an emergency call or better yet report an emergency(i.e. somebody shooting up the theater) when it's happening in the theater.


of course it won't disturb the person using the phone.
it's like saying that if your roommates (assume you have them) are sleeping but you're awake and using the laptop with the lights off, the dim light will not disturb the guys sleeping because you're not bothered by it. maybe some people won't be bothered, but some people find it quite distracting.

by "blocking signals" i mean it inside the room, where there's little reason to use the internet.
the signal would not be blocked outside the room, so people who need to make an emergency call can just leave the room and use their phones. of course, this point is moot as explained in my previous post.


So you're saying very low dim lights would disturb you or anyone else for that matter? How sensitive or intolerant do you have to be to get annoyed over a dim light that you can't even see. Lmao.

Also, even if it's in the room you're still preventing people's right to receive and make emergency calls.

You again have proven no point....


if it is right beside you it is distracting...


How is that any different from someone next to you sneezing or coughing if they have a cold or laughing or talking during the movie which people still do? If it bothers you that much then you should move to another part of the theater.



Dude are you really arguing this much for the sake of texting during a movie? Are you seriously so addicted to your phone you can't put the stupid thing down for an hour or two in order to watch the damn movie you payed money to see?

I would also like to point out your first post makes it sound like they just decided to ban it. But texting during a movie has always been against the rules so all that's happaned is they decided to NOT make special areas where it's okay to text during a movie.

Oh and regarding your argument it doesn't bother others I think the fact they recieved backlash so fast they immediately took it back proves you VERY VERY ON SO VERY wrong. If it's really such a non issue and no one is bothered by it there wouldn't have been so much pressure to not do this.


In the end there are two facts you can't argue. First some people are annoyed and/or distracted by people texting near them during a movie. This is especially true if the movie have dark or quiet moments where the movie itself isn't making much noise or light. Second there is no reason you should need to text during a movie. You payed money to see it so watch it! Your precious phone won't run away if you leave it alone for a little while. If there is an emergency you can leave for a few minutes to deal with it and then come back. There is no good excuse for texting during a movie .

"How is that any different from someone next to you sneezing or coughing if they have a cold or laughing or talking during the movie which people still do? If it bothers you that much then you should move to another part of the theater."
That stuff is also annoying and distracting but unlike texting sneezing and coughing while your sick can't exactly be controlled. Although if you are sick enough to where you are doing that constantly you really shouldn't be at the movies... like seriously go home and rest. As for laughing you do know you can be kicked out of a theater if you are too loud and obnoxious right? If it's just light and minor laughter and noise then it's still generally considered distracting but it's ignoble since we can't control every little thing people do and people can't easily control things like laughter anyway. But again texting is something you can certainly control and there is no need to bother people around you because you can't put the stupid thing down.


thank you so much! someone with common sense! lol thank you for taking the time to type all that out, I didn't feel like doing it
13652 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
こ ~ じ ~ か
Offline
Posted 4/16/16

bethos30 wrote:

I disagree in both your points that are very much arguable. My phone makes no noise and no light distracts anyone even if they are close so I can text freely throughout the entire movie if I want and nobody has ever complained about it. So, there's a real life proven fact.

Second argument, an emergency is not controlled and sometimes you need to respond quickly and not go outside assuming if you can even go outside and not the person victim of an emergency trapped in a room because some brilliant guy decided to block signal within the room.

Also, you can control your coughing , laughing, and everything else. Try it right now, see if you can avoid coughing or avoid laughing at something...you can if you try! So, humans can control every little thing they do.

Done and argued with valid points.


How nice for you.

We all got along just fine prior to cell phones. People who use them during a movie are rude, full stop.

But anyway, the point is moot as AMC has seen the backlash over this boneheaded idea and walked it back, as well they should.
42367 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Online
Posted 4/16/16
First of all, nobody shouldn't be texting or talking on the phone during a movie. It's rude to the other people who are trying to enjoy movie. Get all your calls and texts out the way before you enter the movie theater. And if you absolutely have to use your phone then leave the theater and answer it. But seriously a hour off your phone isn't going to kill you. You go to the movies to enjoy yourself not chat or text on your damn phone.


I swear people make me sick sometimes.
Posted 4/16/16

evilotakuneko wrote:


bethos30 wrote:

I disagree in both your points that are very much arguable. My phone makes no noise and no light distracts anyone even if they are close so I can text freely throughout the entire movie if I want and nobody has ever complained about it. So, there's a real life proven fact.

Second argument, an emergency is not controlled and sometimes you need to respond quickly and not go outside assuming if you can even go outside and not the person victim of an emergency trapped in a room because some brilliant guy decided to block signal within the room.

Also, you can control your coughing , laughing, and everything else. Try it right now, see if you can avoid coughing or avoid laughing at something...you can if you try! So, humans can control every little thing they do.

Done and argued with valid points.


How nice for you.

We all got along just fine prior to cell phones. People who use them during a movie are rude, full stop.

But anyway, the point is moot as AMC has seen the backlash over this boneheaded idea and walked it back, as well they should.


Well, you go to AMC I'll go to a better theater that has more common sense and allows these freedoms available when you need them.
19921 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / A town called "Ci...
Offline
Posted 4/16/16
...Or you can leave the theater and text outside.
14745 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 4/16/16 , edited 4/16/16

Metazoxan wrote:Dude are you really arguing this much for the sake of texting during a movie? Are you seriously so addicted to your phone you can't put the stupid thing down for an hour or two in order to watch the damn movie you payed money to see?


Cinemark chains have the perfect no-texting PSA that says it all (although not as classic as the Alamo Drafthouse one):
"Your little blue cellphone screen...The one that says 'No, no, down here, look at me! I'm more IMPORTANT than the great big colorful screen you paid to see!'...."
993 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/16/16

redokami wrote:

what next,? talking?
honestly wtf, people spend billions to make these movies for you selfish assholes that cant get off your phones for an hour and a half
and who is to say they are recording the movie? http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/04/14/amc-ceo-actually-wants-to-allow-texting-in-movie-theaters.html


AMC isn't going to allow texting. they already sent out a notice that they're not going to do it.

https://youtu.be/d5QKYnQAi1Y?t=33s
4052 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/16 , edited 4/16/16

bethos30 wrote:
I disagree in both your points that are very much arguable. My phone makes no noise and no light distracts anyone even if they are close so I can text freely throughout the entire movie if I want and nobody has ever complained about it. So, there's a real life proven fact.

Second argument, an emergency is not controlled and sometimes you need to respond quickly and not go outside assuming if you can even go outside and not the person victim of an emergency trapped in a room because some brilliant guy decided to block signal within the room.

Also, you can control your coughing , laughing, and everything else. Try it right now, see if you can avoid coughing or avoid laughing at something...you can if you try! So, humans can control every little thing they do.

Done and argued with valid points.


How about not done and argued withh bullshit points. Seriously that crap only justifies anything while it's in that head of yours. In the real world that's nonsense.

First point. First of all I said some people and not all. Also some people just don't want to cause trouble in the middle of the movie and will stay quiet even if it bothers them. Secondly It's just a matter of showing people a little courtesy you asshole. Have you never heard of showing a little courtesy to the people around you? Or is it just you don't give a shit as long as you avoid any negative consequences?

second point. I said nothing about blocking the signal I just said if you need to answer a call you can exit the theater room and answer it. Leaving the room takes all of a few seconds especially if you rush. There is no reason you can't get up out of your seat before texting back to someone no matter how urgent it is. And if it's nor urgent then there is really no reason you can't just wait until the damn movie is over. Explain any instance where a text is SO important it can't wait the maximum of 10 seconds it would take to leave the room? And even if such a situation exists I highly doubt such events are common so for the sake of keeping the argument simple we'll consider them just a rare exception meaning they are no bearing on the general discussion of texting during a movie. So again in a general situation there is no reason you can't just wait until the movie is over or leave early.

You can control that stuff to a degree but it can be increasingly hard the more badly you need to do it until most people will be unable to. These are bodily functions and can be hard to control especially if you are trying to focus on the movie and not spend all of your effort holding back a cough. Also They still are distracting and should be avoided if possible so I'm not saying they are okay to do freely during a movie. It's just distractions like that can't really be helped but they really aren't that common. But either way this doesn't even matter in terms of what this thread is about so lets drop the coughing and laughing bit.

Done and proved how non valid your points were.

BTW you keep bringing up emergencies but if an emergency is really taht dire WTF are you doing texting in a movie threater?!? Get you ass out of that chair and go take care of it! If someone is texting you with an emergency clearly someone needs you! At the very least they need you undivided attention and you should go outside to focus on the emergency.


bethos30 wrote:


evilotakuneko wrote:


bethos30 wrote:

I disagree in both your points that are very much arguable. My phone makes no noise and no light distracts anyone even if they are close so I can text freely throughout the entire movie if I want and nobody has ever complained about it. So, there's a real life proven fact.

Second argument, an emergency is not controlled and sometimes you need to respond quickly and not go outside assuming if you can even go outside and not the person victim of an emergency trapped in a room because some brilliant guy decided to block signal within the room.

Also, you can control your coughing , laughing, and everything else. Try it right now, see if you can avoid coughing or avoid laughing at something...you can if you try! So, humans can control every little thing they do.

Done and argued with valid points.


How nice for you.

We all got along just fine prior to cell phones. People who use them during a movie are rude, full stop.

But anyway, the point is moot as AMC has seen the backlash over this boneheaded idea and walked it back, as well they should.


Well, you go to AMC I'll go to a better theater that has more common sense and allows these freedoms available when you need them.


Uhhhhhh dude what rock have you been living under? No cinema allows texting during a movie. The only reason people get away with it is because no theater is going to waste the time and man power to actively enforce it all the time. They just come down on people who get reported by other movie goers for being a bother.

Also if you haven't noticed you are clearly lacking in the common sense as the majority of people in this thread as well as the backlash prove most people agree texting during a movie is bad. So it's funny you claim to be the one possessing common sense.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.