First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Post Reply SCARLETT JOHANSSON AS MAJOR MATOKO KUSANAGI ???
4632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 4/15/16

megahobbit wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


I hope they do neither the original manga, the first film or the show but instead do innocence. I mean think about it, you get like a David Lynch or a Alejandro Jodorowsky on it and they get to re-interpret all the symbolism and metaphors and shit and put their own what-the-fuck-ery into that already gleefully bizarre masterpiece.


Both would be bad in my view. Ridley Scott would be my first choice for the film given that Gits (and all cyberpunk for that matter) have been aping blade runners visuals for decades.


Ehhhh. I don't think Ridley Scott would have much of a place in that production beyond visual design
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

megahobbit wrote:


sundin13 wrote:


GitS could take place in Neo New York and not really change much of anything and besides, the major isn't even human (and doesn't look asian in the anime). I don't think an actor should be chosen based on their race unless their race is absolutely pivotal (which, unless you are doing a period piece, it rarely is). I'm a big fan of GitS and I think Johnansson is probably the best big name actor for this role. I think she was quite good in Under the Skin and if they bring more of that to the role and less of Black Widow, we might end up being pleasantly surprised. I think the bigger worry should be the director who has virtually nothing in the way of experience...

But anyways, GitS is one of the greatest animated series of all time, so you should check it out if you haven't seen it.


While I do think the whitewashing of the Major sucks for obvious reasons on a pure story level I think that while the original Gits wouldn't lose much setting it in the US but SAC would really have to change ALOT if they tried to westernize it.


I wasn't talking so much about a specific story, as I don't believe the Hollywood version is pure adapted material (though I know very little about it), but more how I think you could create something that feels like GitS in any cyberpunk setting. It has been a while since I've watched GitS though...
628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

octorockandroll
I hope they do neither the original manga, the first film or the show but instead do innocence. I mean think about it, you get like a David Lynch or a Alejandro Jodorowsky on it and they get to re-interpret all the symbolism and metaphors and shit and put their own what-the-fuck-ery into that already gleefully bizarre masterpiece.


I don't think Jodo makes movies anymore. He's moved onto comics and seems to enjoy the freedom the medium gives him to go as bizarre as he wants. He'd definitely make a unique movie out of GitS though.

(Nevermind. Just looked it up and he is trying to get back into film-making.)
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

octorockandroll wrote:


Ehhhh. I don't think Ridley Scott would have much of a place in that production beyond visual design


And I dont think Lynch or Jodorowsky would have any interest in the symbolism and themes of Gits. Lynch's symbolism and weirdness is based squarely in americana with quirky small towns and american pop hits littering his films providing dissonance. He takes what we as Americans consider "normal american things" like our 50s pop music, the girl next door, small town culture, or the nuclear family, and turns them into terrifying surreal mirrors of themselves.

Jodorowsky symbolism is clearly entrenched in western esotericism and culture. There more spiritual than sci-fi.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/15/16
Geez even Japan hasn't done anything successful with Ghost in the Shell in a while. And Hollywood can't seem to adopt Japanese source material to save it's life. Every time they've tried they fallen flat on their overpaid ass. So you could cast literally anyone as the Major and it'd still likely be a disaster.
4632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 4/15/16

DrunkKanti wrote:


octorockandroll
I hope they do neither the original manga, the first film or the show but instead do innocence. I mean think about it, you get like a David Lynch or a Alejandro Jodorowsky on it and they get to re-interpret all the symbolism and metaphors and shit and put their own what-the-fuck-ery into that already gleefully bizarre masterpiece.


I don't think Jodo makes movies anymore. He's moved onto comics and seems to enjoy the freedom the medium gives him to go as bizarre as he wants. He'd definitely make a unique movie out of GitS though.

(Nevermind. Just looked it up and he is trying to get back into film-making.)


I would literally kill somebody to get Jodorowsky to do Ghost in the Shell. The second film is my favourite incarnation of the franchise, and if there's ever going to be an american adaptation I would want nothing more than for someone like Jodorowsky to put their own personal spin on it. And hey, as you pointed out he writes comics, so I bet he would be happy to at least check out the original manga.
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

sundin13 wrote:



I wasn't talking so much about a specific story, as I don't believe the Hollywood version is pure adapted material (though I know very little about it), but more how I think you could create something that feels like GitS in any cyberpunk setting. It has been a while since I've watched GitS though...


Honestly I would disagree there. GitS always fascinated me because unlike most cyberpunk which keeps conflicts between countries and cultures fusing together as background elements it is a direct part of GitS story.
4632 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / Winnipeg, MB.
Online
Posted 4/15/16

megahobbit wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:


Ehhhh. I don't think Ridley Scott would have much of a place in that production beyond visual design


And I dont think Lynch or Jodorowsky would have any interest in the symbolism and themes of Gits. Lynch's symbolism and weirdness is based squarely in americana with quirky small towns and american pop hits littering his films providing dissonance. He takes what we as Americans consider "normal american things" like our 50s pop music, the girl next door, small town culture, or the nuclear family, and turns them into terrifying surreal mirrors of themselves.

Jodorowsky symbolism is clearly entrenched in western esotericism and culture. There more spiritual than sci-fi.


Both of them wanted to do Dune, and that's pretty outside of both the archetypes you mentioned.

Plus if you re-watch the first two movies you'll see that spirituality does play a large role.
29840 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F
Offline
Posted 4/15/16
9551 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

octorockandroll wrote:

Both of them wanted to do Dune, and that's pretty outside of both the archetypes you mentioned.

Plus if you re-watch the first two movies you'll see that spirituality does play a large role.


Dune is INCREDIBLY involved in western esotericism. Also as a big fan of the book Dune and of David Lynch I have to say Lynchs Dune was really bad. Like his worst film bad.

I was specifically referring to western spirituality were as GitS is more eastern spirituality.
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16
If we are talking about directors who would be good for this movie, I think Denis Villeneuve (who is Directing the new Blade Runner project) would probably be my top choice, followed by maybe Joon Ho Bong and Jose Padilha (if you want to give him another shot with Sci Fi). I think that Lynch and Jodorowsky have styles that are a bit too powerful and would overtake the source material, whereas these guys (with a good writer behind them) could do more to interweave their style into the universe.
Posted 4/15/16
First of all, it's MOTOKO . gtfo

Second, I can't believe people mentioned Pacific Rim but didn't even stop to mention Rinko Kikuchi.



I think she's a much better fit for the role. Not only because she is Japanese and already easily looks the part, but because I think she'd be better at actually playing / acting that part. The Major is a very complex character and I just don't see Scarlett being that.
3488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / M / Chapel Hill, N.C
Offline
Posted 4/15/16 , edited 4/15/16

megahobbit wrote:


octorockandroll wrote:

Both of them wanted to do Dune, and that's pretty outside of both the archetypes you mentioned.

Plus if you re-watch the first two movies you'll see that spirituality does play a large role.


Dune is INCREDIBLY involved in western esotericism. Also as a big fan of the book Dune and of David Lynch I have to say Lynchs Dune was really bad. Like his worst film bad.

I was specifically referring to western spirituality were as GitS is more eastern spirituality.


I agree with your opinions of David Lynch and his take on "Dune". I've read stories that Lynch himself wasn't too happy with the movie. On the plus side he made one of his best works,"Blue Velvet", two years later. In fact, Lynch may not have been the best choice for "Dune" even in the 80s. Could you imagine what a Stanley Kubrick or even Terry Gilliam directed "Dune" would have been like?
715 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16 , edited 4/15/16
We'll see how it goes, but it's kind of disappointing, a Japanese actress deserves that role. Like someone posted above, the actress from Pacific Rim would have been perfect.
13131 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

MissKittenVicious wrote:

Second, I can't believe people mentioned Pacific Rim but didn't even stop to mention Rinko Kikuchi.

I think she's a much better fit for the role. Not only because she is Japanese and already easily looks the part, but because I think she'd be better at actually playing / acting that part. The Major is a very complex character and I just don't see Scarlett being that.


I am only familiar with her from Pacific Rim, and characters/acting was not the strength of that movie. I found her to be altogether sub par, and that was with del Toro as a director. I find it hard to believe that she would be able to become anything interesting with the director GitS has. Even in her role as Black Widow, Johannsson is a far better actor, and that isn't her best work.

I browsed the imdb page of Rinko Kikuchi and I don't really see anything standout in the way of roles. What makes you think that she would be able to pull off "complex character" better than Johannsson?
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.