First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
Post Reply SCARLETT JOHANSSON AS MAJOR MATOKO KUSANAGI ???
9332 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16
ScarJo's a fantastic actress, she'll do great. If this movie flops, it'll be because of the director / scriptwriters.
Posted 4/15/16
Its not about race, as some have tried to make, but taste for the choice of who plays Motoko..
11413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Eng Land
Offline
Posted 4/15/16 , edited 4/15/16
I really don't know what to think of this one, I'm going into it with low expectations. Part of me thinks Scarlett might actually be able to pull the major off, but going off the picture we've been given, let's just say that if someone asked "Which anime character is this? P.S. It's also someone you know" I would still be stuck. On the one hand I feel the setting lends itself better to a live-action adaptation than something like DBZ does, but on the other I'm incredibly skeptical. It's not uncommon that adaptations of one thing to another thing don't go very well, least of all anime to live-action film. There's a LOT that can go wrong, but I guess I'll reserve final judgement for when it's out.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:


Nogara-san wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

LOL

Whether or not the main character is Asian or not is a legtimate concern for some people.


I expect to be slammed, because people are tired of watching POC actors get pushed aside for whites constantly. Also, after the job Hollywood did on basically whitewashing the DB movie and even the Avatar movie, Hollywood has proven that it can't handle stuff that doesnt' come from either a Marvel, DC or even a Western fantasy book like LOTR or Harry Potter.

At least they could've just shortened the Major's name...to just Major.

I fail to see the point here. Hollywood makes shit movies? What else is new? How does that tie into race of characters?

Sounds like people just need a reason to bitch at something arbitrary as is the norm this past year.


Go read some history of Hollywood on how they shit on POC actors and educate yourself some.


Also, I don't like ScarJo. Could've gotten someone both sexy and could act.
17031 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

Yume_Mirai wrote:

Its not about race, as some have tried to make, but taste for the choice of who plays Motoko.. :(


At least Zoe Saldana can act and isn't just big tits.



12189 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / Anaheim and Chicago
Offline
Posted 4/15/16 , edited 4/15/16
Does anyone know if they're going to keep original characters' names unlike in Edge of Tomorrow?

Edge of Tomorrow is a western adaptation of a Japanese light novel (and a manga adaptation) called All You Need is Kill. While the story was pretty much the same, they changed all the characters names', ethnicity, setting, and even of the title. And that movie wasn't half bad.

Either way, ScarJo is alright. Not the BEST actress overall but she'll pass for the general audience.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

Nogara-san wrote:

Go read some history of Hollywood on how they shit on POC actors and educate yourself some.
Don't care. It's neither here nor there anyway.


Also, I don't like ScarJo. Could've gotten someone both sexy and could act.
And sounds like a personal problem.
Posted 4/15/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

I fail to see the point here. Hollywood makes shit movies? What else is new? How does that tie into race of characters?

Sounds like people just need a reason to bitch at something arbitrary as is the norm this past year.


Are you seriously asking this about Motoko Kusanagi? I mean... If you've seen the movie, just in the opening sequence where the Major's cyborg body is being made THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JJfvY7WVf0 is playing. I always found that scene interesting. Not to mention the fact that she has an attachment to that model / body. Because of that, I do believe it's quite crucial to keep her identity Japanese.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

MissKittenVicious wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

I fail to see the point here. Hollywood makes shit movies? What else is new? How does that tie into race of characters?

Sounds like people just need a reason to bitch at something arbitrary as is the norm this past year.


Are you seriously asking this about Motoko Kusanagi? I mean... If you've seen the movie, just in the opening sequence where the Major's cyborg body is being made THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JJfvY7WVf0 is playing. I always found that scene interesting. Not to mention the fact that she has an attachment to that model / body. Because of that, I do believe it's quite crucial to keep her identity Japanese.

Never got to see Ghost in the Shell, tbh. Nor can I listen to the song as I am not in an environment where I can do so. So explain to me in layman's terms why she HAS to be Japanese other than because she is a MC in an anime.
Posted 4/15/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Never got to see Ghost in the Shell, tbh. Nor can I listen to the song as I am not in an environment where I can do so. So explain to me in layman's terms why she HAS to be Japanese other than because she is a MC in an anime.


Well, I guess if you're not familiar with it, then anything can just pass. She HAS to be Japanese because her character is explicitly shown and highlighted as BEING Japanese. It would help if you'd bother to give the song a listen. Even better if you actually watch the movie or the show even... If they're going to keep her name and identity as Motoko Kusanagi, then I do believe that being Japanese is an important part of her character. Most women in Japan being quite docile and demure, Motoko Kusanagi is a character that breaks that stereotype and shows that a woman... a JAPANESE woman can be strong both physically and mentally. It's not simply because she's an anime character. It's because of what she stands for as a character.
5235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16
I don't mind and the fact is that most of Motoko's body was lost and replaced by cybernetic parts, just like Robocop.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

MissKittenVicious wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Never got to see Ghost in the Shell, tbh. Nor can I listen to the song as I am not in an environment where I can do so. So explain to me in layman's terms why she HAS to be Japanese other than because she is a MC in an anime.


Well, I guess if you're not familiar with it, then anything can just pass. She HAS to be Japanese because her character is explicitly shown and highlighted as BEING Japanese. It would help if you'd bother to give the song a listen. Even better if you actually watch the movie or the show even... If they're going to keep her name and identity as Motoko Kusanagi, then I do believe that being Japanese is an important part of her character. Most women in Japan being quite docile and demure, Motoko Kusanagi is a character that breaks that stereotype and shows that a woman... a JAPANESE woman can be strong both physically and mentally. It's not simply because she's an anime character. It's because of what she stands for as a character.

lol so pretty much the prevailing problem is a white character with a japanese name?
13127 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16

MissKittenVicious wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

Never got to see Ghost in the Shell, tbh. Nor can I listen to the song as I am not in an environment where I can do so. So explain to me in layman's terms why she HAS to be Japanese other than because she is a MC in an anime.


Well, I guess if you're not familiar with it, then anything can just pass. She HAS to be Japanese because her character is explicitly shown and highlighted as BEING Japanese. It would help if you'd bother to give the song a listen. Even better if you actually watch the movie or the show even... If they're going to keep her name and identity as Motoko Kusanagi, then I do believe that being Japanese is an important part of her character. Most women in Japan being quite docile and demure, Motoko Kusanagi is a character that breaks that stereotype and shows that a woman... a JAPANESE woman can be strong both physically and mentally. It's not simply because she's an anime character. It's because of what she stands for as a character.


But why does it matter for the character?

What you read into it is subjective, but how does the character change by not being Japanese? I listened to the song, I've watched the show, I've watched the movies and I don't see your point.
Posted 4/15/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

lol so pretty much the prevailing problem is a white character with a japanese name?


Not what I said, but if that's the extent of how your brain can process it, then I guess it can't be helped.
5235 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/15/16
Just give the young lady a chance and stop complaining.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.