First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
Post Reply QUT student faces $200,000 bill in Facebook post racism row Quote:
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 4/16/16 , edited 4/16/16

Kira0309 wrote:
people have no filters when they are on the internet. If you wouldn't say it in front of an audience of people standing in front of you, don't say it on the internet because its the same thing.....only judged harsher cause your audience is basically the whole world.
good and bad, as taking as serious could just lead to this and people take the law in their own hands.
Atleast with how we see some get imprisoned by things like this.
Also if it was quite the personal attack I guess its fine to punish them a bit (but that still depends on what they did if stealing personal info or something)
18722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / F
Offline
Posted 4/16/16
fight fire with fire as they say
15406 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Empire of Walker
Offline
Posted 4/16/16

Voc666IV wrote:

This story has to be fake. There must be a limit to human stupidity.


Google sensei says true.

What a fucking load of horse cum. Afraid to go outside because someone might offend her? People like that need to be herded into the ocean, permanently.
Sogno- 
45726 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/16/16



An Indigenous woman, Ms Prior went on sick leave following the incident and reports she felt unsafe leaving her home because she was afraid somebody would say something offensive to her.


Ha! What a riot.



42439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/16/16

D4nc3Style wrote:


Kira0309 wrote:

people have no filters when they are on the internet. If you wouldn't say it in front of an audience of people standing in front of you, don't say it on the internet because its the same thing.....only judged harsher cause your audience is basically the whole world.


That's just stupid. People need to stop being sensitive, safe space needing little bitches.


People need to grow skin thicker than steel if they want to survive in this world. I have low self esteem and I found this to be just plain sad. The world is truly something.
Posted 4/16/16

qualeshia3 wrote:


D4nc3Style wrote:


Kira0309 wrote:

people have no filters when they are on the internet. If you wouldn't say it in front of an audience of people standing in front of you, don't say it on the internet because its the same thing.....only judged harsher cause your audience is basically the whole world.


That's just stupid. People need to stop being sensitive, safe space needing little bitches.


People need to grow skin thicker than steel if they want to survive in this world. I have low self esteem and I found this to be just plain sad. The world is truly something.


It's funny how you say said that. On another topic, My post was recently deleted in CR because I called someone stupid for having a stupid idea but they felt offended and reported my comment. So, apparently there a lot of hypocrites roaming around cyber space.
42439 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/16/16

bethos30 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:


D4nc3Style wrote:


Kira0309 wrote:

people have no filters when they are on the internet. If you wouldn't say it in front of an audience of people standing in front of you, don't say it on the internet because its the same thing.....only judged harsher cause your audience is basically the whole world.


That's just stupid. People need to stop being sensitive, safe space needing little bitches.


People need to grow skin thicker than steel if they want to survive in this world. I have low self esteem and I found this to be just plain sad. The world is truly something.


It's funny how you say said that. On another topic, My post was recently deleted in CR because I called someone stupid for having a stupid idea but they felt offended and reported my comment. So, apparently there a lot of hypocrites roaming around cyber space.


Wait! Did I do something wrong?!
59230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/16/16
Well, this is Australia, which has a different concept of what constitutes free speech than the US has.

That said, I think the plaintiff protests a bit too much. You're afraid someone might say something offensive? The world is not a nice place and yes, offensive things are said when you'd really rather not hear them. That's called reality. If you can prove you were injured due to offensive language or actions then fine, you have a potential case for some form of reconciliation/compensation. It's kind of hard to compensate you because you thought you might be singled out for offensive actions/language however, and that portion of the complaint should be dismissed completely.

If the HRC has a conciliation process prior to mandated court appearances, why did the students' attorneys not insure that they were both aware of the procedure, and how the process worked? I don't believe the full story is being brought forward considering this part.

Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/16/16
As a First Nations myself I always enjoy tales of white people being screwed over by trivial matters. But even given that I find this whole thing utterly laughable. Ya wanna really get back at the caucasians, get a job where ya make more money and fame than them. Best form of revenge, success in all things they don't have, well most of them anyway.
5019 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/16/16
Now imagine if something was said about the black community or Islam. It'd be a shit storm because people find anything and everything offensive nowadays.
19563 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / NYC Metro Area
Offline
Posted 4/16/16
In America we have this thing called the first amendment which protects all speech. I detest hate speech, but once we start choosing what is acceptable and unacceptable speech it is only amount of time until the government uses that to silence all opposition (see Venezuela).
9299 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 4/16/16
Yet some Muslims say "behead the non believers" in public and thats perfectly fine. Guess having on a sign dose not count as having it in writing ?
DrNope 
19119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/16/16
Freedom of Speech =/= Free to say what you want without any consequences for it. It's amazing how people assume they can say anything and everything and there won't be a reaction or a differing opinion to it. Freedom of Speech protects you from the Government silencing you if you want to voice your opinion. Freedom of Speech doesn't stop an organization or person(s) unaffiliated with any government from suing you for what you may have said.

TLDR? Feel free to say what you want, when and where, just expect consequences to come a knocking.
2702 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / Canada
Offline
Posted 4/17/16
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want to whoever you want.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 4/17/16 , edited 4/17/16

Kaseron wrote:
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want to whoever you want.
But that doesn't mean one should be "attacked" or rather taken down because of some speech/words.

if its quite extreme as threats and way more damaging things sure like personal attacks/info about you published online (revenge porn, images, address and few other things) is more of a crime, not words but attacks that goes so far.

Because the internet is full of "damaged" people phyical or mental and you can't expect all of them to be nice or friendly just behave after a set rules those of "common sense" and forum rules.


also yes Freedom of speech you can say anything to whoever, but does not add up for the consequences such speech can do to others.
Like he's hitler, I hate those people...
but thats their problem not police, not something critical or bad just a minor issue.
Sure like feminists channels being attacked by forces that is tired of such crap making them delete/disable comments/likings..
but then they reinforce that disliking and that they have to push hard to be heard (aka threats by random people that is a bit damaging).

but saying fuck you, or you are just retarded by [insert reason either race or anything else]
Should NOT GO OUT OVER WORK, OR PERSONAL LIFE.
(ofc there are exceptions..like talking bad with the boss online.. and then its fired up until they fire you or yourself give up the work)

Well if then this is like a person you work with you can call them out to your boss saying they are bulling and that can be more of an issue...
still thats something else and isn't random strangers etc.
First  Prev  1  2  3  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.