First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply 8 striking parallels between the U.S. and the Roman Empire!
17156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/16
Also, both collected elastic bands in those huge balls and try to sell them on Ebay.
17156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/16
And both are overly fond of garum ( Roman fermented fish paste) which they put on everything. I mean what a waste of key lime pie!
17156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/16
Also both drive on RHS of the road. Should have seen the carnage when driving the chariots during the invasion of Britain
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/18/16

ShittyRestaurant wrote:


LaughedAtByTheGods wrote:

Will the USA empire also fall?


lmao, it's not an "Empire" , and the way it's going right now, it most likely won't anytime soon.

North America has been an Empire since the Spanish-American war of 1898.

7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/18/16 , edited 4/18/16

Gracias2 wrote:

For all the talk about how Rome fell, we might do well to remember that the Roman Empire lasted for around 500 years, preceded by the Roman Republic by another 500 years. Very few are those who can count them so lucky among countries. USA is still in the ring though and the bell tolled the end of the first round, just try keep yourself on your feet for another 4...

The Roman Empire lasted almost 2000 years, ending only with the fall of Constantinople in 1453 to the Ottoman Empire.

10135 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/18/16
Romans added lead to the wine they drank while American cities have added it to their drinking water.
Banned
17503 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / B.C, Canada
Offline
Posted 4/18/16

JanusCascade wrote:


I was wondering when you going to post! :p I thought you're American... If you were born in America, come on back!

Just because I got love for Rome, doesn't mean I got no feeling for woman, I got lot of love for roman women...Their bodies is to die for!


Nope born and bred Canadian. Well technically born a Cree raised by a Japanese immigrant in the nation of Canada but that's semantics. As for Roman women bah, give me a lovely Saxon woman. Tall and long legged and with the strength to tear through loser Roman males.
5592 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / United States of...
Offline
Posted 4/18/16

nukemind wrote:

Well, Major Powers usually stay Major for about 250 years. We are nearing that. I've long said that no matter which side you look, Democrat or Republican, there is no such thing as "Making us Great Again" or "Keeping America Great". We need to be focused on grooming a successor. Looks to be China right now. Simply put, it would be best to take the Britain route of losing World Power status than taking the Rome route.


I can agree on that. I'm even of the opinion that "going quietly into that dark night"
is not so bad, if you can manage to keep what made your country unique intact.
The problem is making sure that it isn't completely undermined and written off
further down the road. And Britain has been around long before it put itself at the
top of the heap during the later 18th through the 19th Centuries.

The Roman route means being divvied up into little statelets by whatever group
manages to establish a power base in a secure manner, so long as there are
no overwhelming forces sweeping through seeking to do the same. The map of
western and southern Europe is basically the result of that, where Germanic
and Slavonic peoples settled amidst the ruins and went about their business,
albeit some of them claiming inheritance of parts of the Roman culture.

I kind of see the US turning to the latter direction. Too many different people
moving in now, most of whom do not share the European traditions of those who
founded the country, or the later immigrants who still came out of Europe. And
these aren't even willing to integrate in a fashion that would ensure a peaceful
settlement with their new neighbors.
27257 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 4/18/16

JanusCascade wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


JanusCascade wrote:

Just noticed you edited out this one "Pity, if only you said yes to me when I asked you for a date for the Prom dance.. I would have given you Rome!....Maybe! :p "

-grab nanikore2 hand and start dancing-


Hate to break this to you but that's because I don't swing that way



Don't tell me you're male? XD I thought you were female! :p


Edit:
Ah ok, don't tell me.. I understand that you cannot say because of Pervert Peripheral Visionary (PV!!!)


...I'm 99.9% sure that PV knows.........

I've mentioned my wife at least five different times in the CR forums, and even if I didn't- I've no idea how I'd give anyone a different vibe
11764 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 4/19/16

nukemind wrote:


ShittyRestaurant wrote:


LaughedAtByTheGods wrote:

Will the USA empire also fall?


lmao, it's not an "Empire" , and the way it's going right now, it most likely won't anytime soon.

Yes it is an Empire. Due to our technical conquest of the Native American Tribes, we are an Empire. An Empire is a Country which conquers and forcefully assimilates, eliminates, enslaves, or simply puts down other populations. So we are technically an Empire. And yes we will fall. Simply put, no Country can rule forever.


By that definition every country ever would be an Empire.

Definition of an Empire according to The Oxford English Reference Dictionary, Second Edition - An empire is a multi-ethnic or multinational state with political and/or military dominion of populations who are culturally and ethnically distinct from the imperial (ruling) ethnic group and its culture.
2271 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 4/19/16

nukemind wrote:

Well, Major Powers usually stay Major for about 250 years. We are nearing that. I've long said that no matter which side you look, Democrat or Republican, there is no such thing as "Making us Great Again" or "Keeping America Great". We need to be focused on grooming a successor. Looks to be China right now. Simply put, it would be best to take the Britain route of losing World Power status than taking the Rome route.


I agree but also disagree with you. The world has changed a lot lately and I think it's getting to the point that no one wants or needs a superpower anymore. The world is becoming a very connected place and countries just can't take the chance of invading another country since their economics are now directly linked to the success of another country. If we went to war with China their economy would nose dive. Nukes also make such wars nearly a thing of the past. I don't see the need for a successor just a need for more working together. I wouldn't be surprised if power wasn't consolidated and more nations begin to merge until we're just one global community.

Being #1 isn't all it's cracked up to be. Just because we are a superpower does not mean our quality of life is the highest. Sure we're doing better than most countries but if you look at all the polls and survey's on best places to live the US never ranks in the top five. Canada, Sweden, Australia and the Netherlands all usually ranked pretty high compared to us and I'm sure that in Sweden they could care less about being #1. Being happy and successful is more important. Honestly I refuse to think of us as #1 or any other country as #1. Not when we still have homeless people, poor people, so many people in prison, etc. You want to win that title with me then show me that you're the best. Producing more knick knacks doesn't rate on my scale. Taking care of your citizens and working together does. It's a shame that this scale isn't used instead of the bling scale.
710 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Rin Matsuoka
Offline
Posted 4/19/16

JanusCascade wrote:

Does that mean US are...



we were not destroyed by the germans though?
Kintor 
20418 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/19/16 , edited 4/19/16

TheOriginalStraynge wrote:

I agree but also disagree with you. The world has changed a lot lately and I think it's getting to the point that no one wants or needs a superpower anymore. The world is becoming a very connected place and countries just can't take the chance of invading another country since their economics are now directly linked to the success of another country. If we went to war with China their economy would nose dive. Nukes also make such wars nearly a thing of the past. I don't see the need for a successor just a need for more working together. I wouldn't be surprised if power wasn't consolidated and more nations begin to merge until we're just one global community.

Being #1 isn't all it's cracked up to be. Just because we are a superpower does not mean our quality of life is the highest. Sure we're doing better than most countries but if you look at all the polls and survey's on best places to live the US never ranks in the top five. Canada, Sweden, Australia and the Netherlands all usually ranked pretty high compared to us and I'm sure that in Sweden they could care less about being #1. Being happy and successful is more important. Honestly I refuse to think of us as #1 or any other country as #1. Not when we still have homeless people, poor people, so many people in prison, etc. You want to win that title with me then show me that you're the best. Producing more knick knacks doesn't rate on my scale. Taking care of your citizens and working together does. It's a shame that this scale isn't used instead of the bling scale.

In 1992 Francis Fukuyama, a notable American intellectual, proclaimed the end of history. That with the decline of the Soviet Union and the apparent end of the Cold War, the American way of life had triumphed. Which in time would mean that liberal democracies and free markets would spread across the world, making conflicts between nation states a thing of the past. Lofty ideals to be sure, for a man to believe that his way of life was the apex of human achievement, that the balance of power had forever shifted in the USA's favour. An eternal empire to eclipse Rome and its' successors, that never would call itself an empire, just the unofficial hegemon of the entire world.

However, the experiences of the past 24 years have really made a mockery of Fukayama's proclamation. War still continues: insurgents fan the flames of ethnically motivated conflicts, while the advanced militaries of the 1st world continue to research new and more powerful weapons technology. The democracies of Europe convulse from inner turmoil, as refugees from conflicts in the Middle East and elsewhere test the limits of Europe's egalitarian virtues, sparking an increase in nationalist and quasi-fascist movements in many countries. While in the Pacific, disputes over uninhabited islands in the South China Sea bring many nations to the brink of open warfare; as Japan, China, Taiwan and Vietnam (to name just a few examples) all lay claim to the same highly disputed territory. Suffice to say, history hasn't ended yet.

So, it would be a mistake on the USA’s part think that its position as a great power is now beyond reproach. A failure to heed the significance of current global events could quickly see the USA’s power eroded. Not quite what happened to the Romans but the wreckage of fallen empires throughout history should stand as a stark warning to those who believe that war is obsolete.
52842 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 4/19/16

nanikore2 wrote:


JanusCascade wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:


JanusCascade wrote:

Just noticed you edited out this one "Pity, if only you said yes to me when I asked you for a date for the Prom dance.. I would have given you Rome!....Maybe! :p "

-grab nanikore2 hand and start dancing-


Hate to break this to you but that's because I don't swing that way



Don't tell me you're male? XD I thought you were female! :p


Edit:
Ah ok, don't tell me.. I understand that you cannot say because of Pervert Peripheral Visionary (PV!!!)


...I'm 99.9% sure that PV knows.........

I've mentioned my wife at least five different times in the CR forums, and even if I didn't- I've no idea how I'd give anyone a different vibe


The female in your profile! :/
52842 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 4/19/16

bbbob5 wrote:


JanusCascade wrote:

Does that mean US are...



we were not destroyed by the germans though?



False Rumor. Its their dream of their to destroy a Superior Civilization!
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.