Post Reply For those who wish to learn Japanese Language, this RPG is a Must?
52866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 4/17/16
Am thinking about getting this game from Steaming site, to learn basic Japanese language.. I'm curious have you played it before? If Yes, How is it like? Is it accurate? Good way to start off learning basic of Japanese Language?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/438270/

This game is call Learn Japanese To Survive! Hiragana Battle

Just thought you guys/ladies might be interested :). But its not free :(, mere 6.99 dollar -shrugs-
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/17/16
No. You're going to need to learn the full kana system and extensively study kanji and kanji compounds (called jukugo). You will also need to keep at it and use it at least twice a week for retention.
52866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 4/17/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

No. You're going to need to learn the full kana system and extensively study kanji and kanji compounds (called jukugo). You will also need to keep at it and use it at least twice a week for retention.




I always wanted to learn Japanese Language, Because they have awesome RPG that never got released in USA!!!

I know I probably won't be able to pronoun them, but was hoping just be able to read most of them while enjoying the Turn Base RPG..

So this game won't help me be able to read Japanese dialogues from Japanese rpg? That suck..

There this RPG I always wanted to play.. That is Kenshin Rurouni :(

Anyway thanks for replying :).
10651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 4/17/16
lol to the no. that game seems to be focusing on teaching hiragana, which you can learn in a week or less for free (legally) if you want to.
i'm also not sure the writing order is correct in the game. there was a game for DS that claims to teach the language, but the stroke order is wrong in some kana iirc.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/17/16

JanusCascade wrote:


XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

No. You're going to need to learn the full kana system and extensively study kanji and kanji compounds (called jukugo). You will also need to keep at it and use it at least twice a week for retention.




I always wanted to learn Japanese Language, Because they have awesome RPG that never got released in USA!!!

I know I probably won't be able to pronoun them, but was hoping just be able to read most of them while enjoying the Turn Base RPG..

So this game won't help me be able to read Japanese dialogues from Japanese rpg? That suck..

There this RPG I always wanted to play.. That is Kenshin Rurouni :(

Anyway thanks for replying :).

No.. learning the kana(hiragana + katakana) is only half the battle. It will still only be a jumbled mess of sounds if you don't know the words of the language.

Not only this, but you will need to memorize a little over 2000 kanji and their meanings and common pairings in order to be able to read the language.
10651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 4/17/16
half the battle - more like 1% of the battle (but an important 1%)
instead of focusing on kanji, you should focus on words (and of course, grammar)
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/17/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

lol to the no. that game seems to be focusing on teaching hiragana, which you can learn in a week or less for free (legally) if you want to.
i'm also not sure the writing order is correct in the game. there was a game for DS that claims to teach the language, but the stroke order is wrong in some kana iirc.

Yah. There is an xbox 360 indie flashcard (game) that teaches hiragana, katakana, and the jouyou kanji readings for a dollar. It separates the kanji by complexity and also teaches you combined kana.

I'm combining it with jisho.org for jukugo and the full on' and kun'yomi readings.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/17/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

half the battle - more like 1% of the battle (but an important 1%)
instead of focusing on kanji, you should focus on words (and of course, grammar)

Learning the kanji first not only teaches the written language, but also words. I'm using Rosetta Stone for grammar. xp
10651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 4/17/16
example of why you should learn words first:
出来ます
if you only know the kanji meaning, that word will make no sense.
"leave/depart" and "come/arrive"?
but of course we know that word actually means "to be able to do", which has no relation with the kanji

as for grammar, i'd recommend using Genki books, or Tae as a free resource.
6741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / CA
Offline
Posted 4/17/16
You could also try this http://www.nhk.or.jp/lesson/english/learn/list/ to supplement your learnings.
52866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 4/17/16
I've noticed outside of USA, Most of the Countries learning English as their second language.. But we as American... Only learn English.. I wish I could learn Japanese language when I was young! :)

I've heard some people can spoke like 5 or 7 Language! =0 Can tell they're translator..

I heard that Latin is now dead language, yet I keep seeing people taking Class for Latin. I believed some are still in uses.. like name of the Meds.. But mostly in Greek I think.
10651 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Offline
Posted 4/17/16
latin might be useful if you're into older literature. otherwise, its use is likely very limited.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/17/16 , edited 4/17/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

example of why you should learn words first:
出来ます
if you only know the kanji meaning, that word will make no sense.
"leave/depart" and "come/arrive"?
but of course we know that word actually means "to be able to do", which has no relation with the kanji

as for grammar, i'd recommend using Genki books, or Tae as a free resource.

Fair enough. Though like I said, I use Jisho as a jukugo dictionary. 警察官, 自転車

Conversely, think of all the words I learn from learning key characters to related compounds. Such as 電 den and 色 iro.

I still have a lot to learn, so not trying to act like I know it all. But the way I see it, I'll always be learning somthing, so I want to take in information as quickly as possible.
52866 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
100 / M
Offline
Posted 4/18/16

namealreadytaken wrote:

latin might be useful if you're into older literature. otherwise, its use is likely very limited.



Or when reciting a Ancient Spell in Latin and it only work if you speak in Latin heh. j/k I know its a lame joke, I noticed on movies there alway someone speaking Latin when attempting to use Ancient Magic.
57034 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
36 / M / Planet Sanno
Offline
Posted 4/18/16
The rule of thumb, once you have learned the basics of hiragana and katakana (i.e. your ABCs), is 1,000 hours of intensive study to be able to read Japanese on a base level. (Source: Friends of mine who work in Japan.)
You must be logged in to post.