Post Reply Which site(s) have the most anime?
3023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Online
Posted 4/19/16
So pretty much what I'm trying to figure out is if I want to have access to most/all anime, which combination out of those would make the most sense. I'm already a premium member of CR and am almost through all of the anime that they have to offer.

I know it's easy to say all three but if you could provide some insight into which and why, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
11700 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
35 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 4/19/16
First off, which country are you based in? A lot of anime services are region locked (Hulu not being available in the UK, for example).
7413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 4/19/16
Crunchyroll has the most mainstream recent anime from the last few years.
Funimation has the most older anime (4-8 years ago).
Hulu has the most classic anime (going back to the late 90s-early 00s), as well as some of CR and Funi's titles at lower video quality.

While you'll find dupicates of some CR and Funi titles on Hulu a large portion of their library can't be found on any of the other sites.
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/19/16 , edited 4/19/16

koreank wrote:

So pretty much what I'm trying to figure out is if I want to have access to most/all anime, which combination out of those would make the most sense. I'm already a premium member of CR and am almost through all of the anime that they have to offer.

I know it's easy to say all three but if you could provide some insight into which and why, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- Hulu probably has the deepest anime library of the legal services currently available (Sub & Dub combined), but I think Crunchyroll is trying to catch up.

- FUNImation probably has the most English Dubs available for streaming (not counting what they license to Hulu), but The Anime Network, an old ADV Films subsidiary, might have as many or more English Dubs. (https://www.theanimenetwork.com/)

Personally, I think the combo of Hulu and Crunchyroll covers the most if you're trying to stay with legal sites. I've had a FUNImation subscription for a bit now and I hate it. Their website and Roku app are flat out crap. I just wish Hulu had a cheaper Anime only option without commercials. $8.95 with limited commercials is rubbish, but you do have access to a TON of anime.

The cheapest combo that covers the most is probably Crunchyroll and FUNImation. You get some English Dubs along with most of the new releases.

That's just the legal sites (not counting stuff like Daisuki - http://www.daisuki.net/us/en/anime.html). Obviously, the illegal streaming sites have everything -- from old to new -- in HD, Sub/Dub, etc...
3023 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Online
Posted 4/19/16
Thank you for the responses! I am in the US so I'm not sure what is locked and not. Looks like I'll be looking more towards hulu, then.

Just to make sure I umderstood it correctly, hulu should have all of funi (or close to) and more, correct?
29118 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
83 / F / Bite the pillow.
Offline
Posted 4/19/16 , edited 4/19/16

koreank wrote:

Thank you for the responses! I am in the US so I'm not sure what is locked and not. Looks like I'll be looking more towards hulu, then.

Just to make sure I umderstood it correctly, hulu should have all of funi (or close to) and more, correct?

Hulu has a lot of Funimation's stuff, but not all. In some cases, Hulu will have only a few episodes of a Funimation show (like season 1 & 2 of High School DxD) or Hulu will only have one language (Sub or Dub).

Hulu also has stuff from Viz Media such as One Punch Man (http://www.hulu.com/onepunch-man) which you won't find on CR or Funimation.

The $8.95 subscription for Hulu includes limited commercials. They have an $11.95 a month option that is commercial free, but at that point, you might as well subscribe to CR and Funi instead.
19179 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/19/16
I like crunchyroll and funimation, but they need better video players. It's so slow...
42648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 4/19/16 , edited 4/19/16
Just available streaming title counts... not separating movies from TV vs shorts, multiple seasons holding one page vs multiple pages, licenses held vs not up for viewing, etc, etc...

Hulu: 948
CR: 652 (visible to the US)
TAN: 428
Funi: 387
Netflix: 106


As near as I can count, anyway, no nit-picking, and subject to change without notice anyway.

...and I'm not sure I actually found everything on Hulu...
7413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 4/19/16

asharka wrote:

Just available streaming title counts... not separating movies from TV vs shorts, multiple seasons holding one page vs multiple pages, licenses held vs not up for viewing, etc, etc...

Hulu: 948
CR: 652 (visible to the US)
TAN: 428
Funi: 387
Netflix: 106


As near as I can count, anyway, no nit-picking, and subject to change without notice anyway.

...and I'm not sure I actually found everything on Hulu...


While normally a straight count would work in this case I'm not quite sure it would. Hulu counts multiple seasons of a show as separate shows not extensions of shows like CR and Funi. Also Funi has more long-running shows with more than 5 season each (Case Cosed, Fairytail, Black Butler, etc). Some of these shows have over 400 episodes of each available on Funi.
19518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / NYC Metro Area
Online
Posted 4/24/16
Crunchyroll has a lot of good stuff, problem is that Funimation often takes some of the best simulcasts (usually 2 shows a season I am forced offsite for). Choosing one I'd go for CR, if you have money for both get Funimation and CR. Hulu has way too many commercials to be worth using, that includes paid membership.
42648 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
60 / M / Earth
Offline
Posted 4/24/16

kevz_210 wrote:
Hulu has way too many commercials to be worth using, that includes paid membership.


Unless you pay for the commercial-free tier @ about $12/month... It's a relatively new option in the last few months.
19518 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M / NYC Metro Area
Online
Posted 4/27/16

asharka wrote:


kevz_210 wrote:
Hulu has way too many commercials to be worth using, that includes paid membership.


Unless you pay for the commercial-free tier @ about $12/month... It's a relatively new option in the last few months.


Only worth it if you are using it for something more than just anime due to its higher price point.
You must be logged in to post.