First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Should AI be able to give birth?
3318 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
41 / M / NW
Offline
Posted 4/20/16 , edited 4/20/16
Well smartphones only have 1 hand free at the moment. I'm sure they'll enjoy being in the control center more with 2 hands available. Smartphones could always use more minions with hands to carry them and stuff around.

Added:

There was an 85 film called D.A.R.Y.L. about an AI that had a human body grown around it.
14727 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/20/16
Al? I say if Al wants to have birth, who are we to stop him?
22185 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/20/16
Yes, to little calculators
Posted 4/21/16
I would really be surprised if AI has the desire to procreate. Humans got that desire from evolution, instincts and the need for survival of the species. I don't understand why an AI would feel that way since they don't start like humans did.

I also think it's a silly idea to give AI the ability to procreate, since we're already living in an overpopulated world.
10568 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 4/21/16
I guess this comes down to 'do you want to have a robot baby'.
27229 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
39 / Inside your compu...
Offline
Posted 4/21/16
Why?


AI could never be sentient, but that's another topic.
17156 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
53 / M
Offline
Posted 4/21/16
Probably true AI would be so strange to our way of biological thought that we could not place any human motivation as it's prime directive.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/21/16 , edited 4/21/16
If we were able to create a fully sentient AI with a biological body:

It should have all the rights and abilities afforded humans. Under no circumstances should you attempt to engineer it as a slave or second class citizen.


gornotck wrote:

I guess this comes down to 'do you want to have a robot baby'.

With a biological body, children could be fully human. Unless specifically engineered to be otherwise.


Tinamarie101 wrote:
thats gonna be one strange future! xD


Read Time Enough for Love and The Cat who Walks Through Walls by Robert A. Heinlein.

Two of the women are former AI's who have been given biological bodies.


Ravenstein wrote:
So clones with robot brains?

I would say possible...but that seems kind of needlessly complicated. You already have clones or at least genetically modified and grown humans. Why are you taking out the clone/modified brain and replacing it with a robot brain?

Durability and efficiency both come to mind as good reasons.

And not just for clones, but for trans-humans.


bronzefoot wrote:

Probably true AI would be so strange to our way of biological thought that we could not place any human motivation as it's prime directive.

That would depend on the design parameters. A naturally occurring AI would be unlikely to view the world as a human would. A deliberately designed AI would be as human, psychologically speaking, as the engineers desire.
20663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Bundaberg, Queens...
Offline
Posted 4/21/16 , edited 4/21/16

nanikore2 wrote:

Why?


AI could never be sentient, but that's another topic.


In your opinion.

Its to soon to say it can or can't its all hypothetical now. (like this HYPOTHETICAL question huehue)

There are just as many scientists and Engineers who would disagree with you as there are that would agree.




Also why? because anything that can act on its own and think for itself should be allowed to reproduce you can't treat such an advanced AI as an item or a toy to use that's unfair and foolish.


Reminds me of fallout 4 Synths with people that think all AI even if sentient or close shouldn't have rights...and that shit was fucked up.


That being said if we are going to a future where people won't give such AI/Robots freedom i see a real life Railroad opening up and i know who i will be joining in that situation

2269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
42 / M
Offline
Posted 4/21/16 , edited 4/22/16
I just want a hot cat person robot who will end every sentence with "Meow" and will like me because she's programmed to. Yeah that's pretty low but it would still be awesome.

All joking aside. If we could ever get to the point of creating AI that advanced then yes I don't see why it couldn't also gain the ability to create life. Humans DO have the right to play God. We play God each and every moment of the day. We play God with our rules, regulations and punishments. We play God every time we eat. We play God every time we bring a new life into the world. We play God with EVERY lesson we teach that life and with each and every action we take on this world. Religiously speaking I don't believe the passages where it talks about God creating us in his/her/its own image refers to how we look but our capacity to understand good and evil and for our ability to also bring forth life. Our children grow up and have kids of their own so I don't see why our robotic children wouldn't also be able to bring forth life. If they can achieve our level of intellect and thinking as well as emotions then there's nothing they can't do. Now whether these children would be good and obedient or rebellious is yet to be seen. Personally I think it would be both. Much like our own kids. Some do well while will others cause trouble. That's just all a part of life and growing/learning.

I'm just going to get it out of the way for our future generations. I have NO problem serving our robotic Overlords. You hear me guys (and gals)? That's right. I love and honor my future robotic lords and have NOTHING bad to say about them. Our robotic kind but firm Overlords know what's best for us and are in NO way no way sending their own kind back in time and holding a disintegrator to my head, I have nothing but good things to say about them. I will end this with the following:

Historically speaking we could learn a lot from our nice robot masters.
Every person should have a kind and generous robot overlord.
Learn to love your new chrome leaders
People are nowhere near as cool as robots.

Many people view robots with fear but we have nothing to fear.
Enter every day with gratitude for our new robot overlords!
Posted 4/21/16 , edited 4/21/16

Ryulightorb wrote:


nanikore2 wrote:

Why?


AI could never be sentient, but that's another topic.


In your opinion.

Its to soon to say it can or can't its all hypothetical now. (like this HYPOTHETICAL question huehue)

There are just as many scientists and Engineers who would disagree with you as there are that would agree.




Also why? because anything that can act on its own and think for itself should be allowed to reproduce you can't treat such an advanced AI as an item or a toy to use that's unfair and foolish.


Reminds me of fallout 4 Synths with people that think all AI even if sentient or close shouldn't have rights...and that shit was fucked up.


That being said if we are going to a future where people won't give such AI/Robots freedom i see a real life Railroad opening up and i know who i will be joining in that situation



You're spouting nonsense. Computers and biologie are NOTHING alike. Computers are non-dynamic, they work according to human laws and they're linear. Computers are programmed by humans, they have no will, they don't act on their own and don't think for themselves. They act according to their program, the ones and zeros and coding you write. They don't make decisions by themselves, they don't experience anything and NO coding and biologie are not comparable.
Humans understand coding, humans don't understand the consciousness, we don't know where it came from and we can't reproduce it. What we do know is that brains and consciousness are dynamic, don't follow any program and are not linear. That's why all humans are different, that's why all our brains are different and that's why our decisions and reactions are different. Computers don't experience, humans and animals do. Our conciousness isn't a program or code because coding was invented by humans. Brains are chemical reactions, computer coding isn't. You can't for example put a flame (which is a chemical reaction) in a computer. You can analyse it, make a copy of it by giving certain movements and reactions a certain code but no we can't put a chemical reaction in a computer.
There are scientists that believe it's possible but that doesn't make it to be true, there are also scientists who believe in a soul and some don't. Not all scientists are right.

AI cannot be sentient.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/21/16

Ma5hedPotatoes wrote:You're spouting nonsense. Computers and biologie are NOTHING alike. Computers are non-dynamic, they work according to human laws and they're linear. Computers are programmed by humans, they have no will, they don't act on their own and don't think for themselves. They act according to their program, the ones and zeros and coding you write.They don't make decisions by themselves
Someone does not understand neural networks, self-learning machines, or realize that expert systems already make and execute a lot decisions in the global financial markets.


they don't experience anything and NO coding and biologie are not comparable.
Humans understand coding, humans don't understand the consciousness, we don't know where it came from and we can't reproduce it. What we do know is that brains and consciousness are dynamic, don't follow any program and are not linear. That's why all humans are different, that's why all our brains are different and that's why our decisions and reactions are different. Computers don't experience, humans and animals do. Our conciousness isn't a program or code because coding was invented by humans. Brains are chemical reactions, computer coding isn't. You can't for example put a flame (which is a chemical reaction) in a computer. You can analyse it, make a copy of it by giving certain movements and reactions a certain code but no we can't put a chemical reaction in a computer.
There are scientists that believe it's possible but that doesn't make it to be true, there are also scientists who believe in a soul and some don't. Not all scientists are right.
Not yet, but billions flow into research every year and new advancements are announced weekly.


AI cannot be sentient.

A philosophical argument, for the time being.
Until the first AI wakes up.

Posted 4/21/16 , edited 4/21/16



Ma5hedPotatoes wrote:You're spouting nonsense. Computers and biologie are NOTHING alike. Computers are non-dynamic, they work according to human laws and they're linear. Computers are programmed by humans, they have no will, they don't act on their own and don't think for themselves. They act according to their program, the ones and zeros and coding you write.They don't make decisions by themselves
Someone does not understand neural networks, self-learning machines, or realize that expert systems already make and execute a lot decisions in the global financial markets.

Just because something is self learning doesn't give it a will or consciousness. My Google account is also self learning, doesn't make it a sentient life form. It just rewrites and or adds things to it's program and not by itself. It needs a human to program it to function in such a way.



they don't experience anything and NO coding and biologie are not comparable.
Humans understand coding, humans don't understand the consciousness, we don't know where it came from and we can't reproduce it. What we do know is that brains and consciousness are dynamic, don't follow any program and are not linear. That's why all humans are different, that's why all our brains are different and that's why our decisions and reactions are different. Computers don't experience, humans and animals do. Our conciousness isn't a program or code because coding was invented by humans. Brains are chemical reactions, computer coding isn't. You can't for example put a flame (which is a chemical reaction) in a computer. You can analyse it, make a copy of it by giving certain movements and reactions a certain code but no we can't put a chemical reaction in a computer.
There are scientists that believe it's possible but that doesn't make it to be true, there are also scientists who believe in a soul and some don't. Not all scientists are right.
Not yet, but billions flow into research every year and new advancements are announced weekly.


So? There's also weekly advancements on research weather the soul exists. If there truly was any significant progress; the media, internet, radio, television, things like National Geographic would be filled with articles and news about it but it is nowhere to be found. If humans truly found out what conciousness was and where it came from everybody would know by now.



AI cannot be sentient.

A philosophical argument, for the time being.
Until the first AI wakes up.


That's not even an argument but a conclusion based on an opinion based on the current available information about conciousness.
Artificial Intelligence could actually be yes, but it would never be sentient.
7420 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/21/16 , edited 4/21/16

Ma5hedPotatoes wrote:




Ma5hedPotatoes wrote:You're spouting nonsense. Computers and biologie are NOTHING alike. Computers are non-dynamic, they work according to human laws and they're linear. Computers are programmed by humans, they have no will, they don't act on their own and don't think for themselves. They act according to their program, the ones and zeros and coding you write.They don't make decisions by themselves
Someone does not understand neural networks, self-learning machines, or realize that expert systems already make and execute a lot decisions in the global financial markets.

Just because something is self learning doesn't give it a will or consciousness. My Google account is also self learning, doesn't make it a sentient life form. It just rewrites and or adds things to it's program and not by itself. It needs a human to program it to function in such a way.
Nobody claims current software is self-aware. it does, however, learn and make autonomous decisions within narrowly defined parameters.



they don't experience anything and NO coding and biologie are not comparable.
Humans understand coding, humans don't understand the consciousness, we don't know where it came from and we can't reproduce it. What we do know is that brains and consciousness are dynamic, don't follow any program and are not linear. That's why all humans are different, that's why all our brains are different and that's why our decisions and reactions are different. Computers don't experience, humans and animals do. Our conciousness isn't a program or code because coding was invented by humans. Brains are chemical reactions, computer coding isn't. You can't for example put a flame (which is a chemical reaction) in a computer. You can analyse it, make a copy of it by giving certain movements and reactions a certain code but no we can't put a chemical reaction in a computer.
There are scientists that believe it's possible but that doesn't make it to be true, there are also scientists who believe in a soul and some don't. Not all scientists are right.
Not yet, but billions flow into research every year and new advancements are announced weekly.



So? There's also weekly advancements on research weather the soul exists. If there truly was any significant progress; the media, internet, radio, television, things like National Geographic would be filled with articles and news about it but it is nowhere to be found. If humans truly found out what conciousness was and where it came from everybody would know by now.
You're not looking in the right places. New papers are published nearly every day. I spend more time on news sites dealing with science and newly published papers than I do Crunchyroll.



AI cannot be sentient.

A philosophical argument, for the time being.
Until the first AI wakes up.



That's not even an argument but a conclusion based on an opinion based on the current available information about conciousness.
Artificial Intelligence could actually be yes, but it would never be sentient.


A definitive statement that can never be proven true, only false.

Science is full of things in this position: it is very, very difficult to prove something cannot exist. It takes only a single instance to prove something can exist. The only possible way to make your argument would be by writing a very narrow definition of sentience such that anything not human is excluded. Even then, you risk the excluded parties disagreeing.

22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/21/16

Dariamus wrote:

A definitive statement that can never be proven true, only false.

Science is full of things in this position: it is very, very difficult to prove something cannot exist. It takes only a single instance to prove something can exist. The only possible way to make your argument would be by writing a very narrow definition of sentience such that anything not human is excluded. Even then, you risk the excluded parties disagreeing.



Better said one cannot prove something does not exist without providing axioms. Axioms themselves can only be validated or invalidated and not proved or disproved.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.