First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply "Social Justice Warrior"
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/23/16

kinga750 wrote:

It's an overused term. A lazy way to discredit someone.

I find it particularly distasteful because it not only dismisses opinions without consideration; it suggests that it is wrong to have any opinion in the first place. That leaves no room for discussion. It is one of the best examples of a legitimate ad-hominem argument I can think of.

If you think a person is so obviously full of shit, confront their ideas directly and fairly. If you aren't up to that, say nothing at all.


I agree. Ad hominen argument certainly.


maxgale wrote:

It's a useful word that aptly describes a certain group and ideology.


There is no reason to discontinue its use.


You say that is used to dismiss certain people and beliefs as if that is a bad thing, as if their ideology is worth anything more than curt dismissal, as if there is any value to be had with engaging with such absurdity, and as if one would actually persuade the SJW that their position is untenable through logic and dialogue.


Let me just mimic it back the way I'm comprehending this: You realize they cannot be dissuaded through logical arguments. Instead, you choose to dismiss and also assassinate the character of your opposition on the way out.

I'm not sure I understand. What's the value of doing that?

Posted 4/23/16

maxgale wrote:

It's a useful word that aptly describes a certain group and ideology.


There is no reason to discontinue its use.


You say that is used to dismiss certain people and beliefs as if that is a bad thing, as if their ideology is worth anything more than curt dismissal, as if there is any value to be had with engaging with such absurdity, and as if one would actually persuade the SJW that their position is untenable through logic and dialogue.


It mustn't be used by the rabble, iow, only those in a protective bubble of privlege afforded my their college education and prestige. It should only be used by the intelligensia. XD

33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 4/23/16 , edited 4/23/16
I think that there are some people that necessitate the word. I've only ever called a few people an SJW, and it's because they deserved it.

For me, it's a term that I use when referring to practioners of social justice that I find disingenuous, hypocritical, and/or condescending in their own right.

Am I in the right to use a pejorative because I am frustrated? Not really. But sometimes usually I just don't care I guess.

I can understand why people don't like the word. It's about as much as a throw-word as 'bigot' is.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 4/23/16 , edited 4/23/16

kinga750 wrote:


maxgale wrote:

It's a useful word that aptly describes a certain group and ideology.


There is no reason to discontinue its use.


You say that is used to dismiss certain people and beliefs as if that is a bad thing, as if their ideology is worth anything more than curt dismissal, as if there is any value to be had with engaging with such absurdity, and as if one would actually persuade the SJW that their position is untenable through logic and dialogue.


If someone is so far beneath your consideration, why stoop to insulting them? Wouldn't it be better to just ignore someone like that?




For the purpose of instructing them in the finer arts of humility, which is the best antidote to their poisonous ideology.






PrinceJudar wrote:




maxgale wrote:

It's a useful word that aptly describes a certain group and ideology.


There is no reason to discontinue its use.


You say that is used to dismiss certain people and beliefs as if that is a bad thing, as if their ideology is worth anything more than curt dismissal, as if there is any value to be had with engaging with such absurdity, and as if one would actually persuade the SJW that their position is untenable through logic and dialogue.


Let me just mimic it back the way I'm comprehending this: You realize they cannot be dissuaded through logical arguments. Instead, you choose to dismiss and also assassinate the character of your opposition on the way out.

I'm not sure I understand. What's the value of doing that?






It does nothing to disparage their character to merely make note of their utter lack of any.


And it does well to inform those who might have been told that only the elite, only the fashionable, only the good and fair and decent people are those who take up the banner of social justice are in truth the most foul and reprehensible collection of scoundrels, hucksters, con artists and sociopaths.
995 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/23/16 , edited 4/23/16

qualeshia3 wrote:

I don't know what to think of SJW.


Personally I think, in general, they mean well, but there are some in the "group" that try to take things too far and they're usually the ones that get the most attention and becomes the image people think of thus making things a little more difficult for everyone else.

It's kinda like the George Carlin bit: "It's the quiet ones you gotta watch; this sounds to me like a very dangerous assumption..I will bet you anything that while you're watching a quiet one...a noisy one will fucking kill you! Suppose you're in a bar and one guy's sitting over on a side reading a book, not bothering anybody and another guys standing at the front with a machete banging on the bar saying I'll kill the next motherfucker who comes in here! Who're you gunna watch?"

22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/23/16

XxDarkSasuxX wrote:

I think that there are some people that necessitate the word. I've only ever called a few people an SJW, and it's because they deserved it.

For me, it's a term that I use when referring to practioners of social justice that I find disingenuous, hypocritical, and/or condescending in their own right.

Am I in the right to use a pejorative because I am frustrated? Not really. But sometimes usually I just don't care I guess.

I can understand why people don't like the word. It's about as much as a throw-word as 'bigot' is.


I guess it has as much justification as any insult at the end of the day. We throw them when we feel people deserve them. I think you demonstrate a lot more self awareness than most about it.

And yeah, I don't like the word 'bigot' either, lol




maxgale wrote:
It does nothing to disparage their character to merely make note of their utter lack of any.


And it does well to inform those who might have been told that only the elite, only the fashionable, only the good and fair and decent people are those who take up the banner of social justice are in truth the most foul and reprehensible collection of scoundrels, hucksters, con artists and sociopaths.


Hmm. Well I guess as long as you're aware you don't have reasoning for it and you're posing an emotional argument.

Posted 4/23/16

ran76 wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

I don't know what to think of SJW.


Personally I think, in general, they mean well, but there are some in the "group" that try to take things too far and they're usually the ones that get the most attention and becomes the image people think of thus making thinks a little ore difficult for everyone else.

It's kinda like the George Carlin bit: "It's the quiet ones you gotta watch; this sounds to me like a very dangerous assumption..I will bet you anything that while you're watching a quiet one...a noisy one will fucking kill you! Suppose you're in a bar and one guy's sitting over on a side reading a book, not bothering anybody and another guys standing at the front with a machete banging on the bar saying I'll kill the next motherfucker who comes in here! Who're you gunna watch?"



Blame it on the media and on hollywood for the archetypal quiet loner/pedophile/serial axe murderer trope.

I haven't met a real social justice warrior before in real life, but I have met one or two with unpopular opinions, strawmen mainly to stoke a fire that get ousted out becoming those that must not be named. To me, accidental or on purpose, I can't differentiate them from trolls.

With, OP, I'm not sure what their game is, because I'm for sure they don't see a need to dismiss the term. To me that is very suspicious from a careerist elitist that thinks being an intellectual is a good thing.

I don't like the term because it denotes unauthorized access to voice concerns and often weaponized to limit freedom to speak against established figures. agree with everyone else that it should be used sparingly , that could help curb its misuse.
13881 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Offline
Posted 4/23/16
People love to insult other people. Accept that reality and your life will improve instantly.
35191 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 4/23/16
"SJW" is overused, that much is for certain. But in a world where people get bullied into attempting suicide just for not drawing a character fat enough in fan art, the term definitely has its valid applications.
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/23/16 , edited 4/23/16

Aethix0 wrote:

"SJW" is overused, that much is for certain. But in a world where people get bullied into attempting suicide just for not drawing a character fat enough in fan art, the term definitely has its valid applications.


I would think 'ruthless bullies' would be more accurate in that case. 'SJW' would be too kind in respect of their intentions.

I think the word 'asshole' has its valid applications as well though. The phrase comes down to a common insult. Insults change with the times too, after all.



There are valid applications for it, but only insofar as any other insult. I don't think it has a place when one is attempting to make a legitimate and rational argument. It seems to be what the general consensus is trending towards so far though.

A lot of people at least faintly recognize its ill use.
37144 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/23/16 , edited 4/25/16


I don't understand. How can you teach humility by being arrogant and insulting? Why would that inspire humility? If you want to teach humility, doesn't it make more sense to lead by example and show humility yourself?

Furthermore, didn't you just say it's impossible to persuade them via logic and dialogue? So first you say it is justifiable to insult someone because they can't be reasoned with; but then you say insulting them is the best way to teach them reason. That seems like a contradiction.

In my opinion, insulting someone is more about satisfying one's own ego than anything else.
5018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/23/16
did i cause this mishap?
401 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M
Offline
Posted 4/23/16
I've never heard the term social justice warrior. Is this like one of those "bae" things?
5018 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M
Offline
Posted 4/23/16
Kind of. The key difference is that a Social Justice Warrior is a paladin.
Posted 4/23/16
no she's pushing her agenda to replace pv to revive the forums, check peripheralvisionary? thread in chit chat, tbh its boring me to tears so I'll go grab a sandwich and milk pfft.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.