First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
Post Reply "Social Justice Warrior"
6756 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / F / North Carolina
Offline
Posted 4/24/16
For me, it's fallen into the same category as the terms "problematic", "bigot", "race card", "toxic" and "political correctness". Just another overused term by keyword warriors to slander and condense those with a differing opinion into a box that they can comfortably throw stock responses at because they're either too far up their own ass or simply unintelligent enough to engage in actual discussion.

By the time the internet is done, I suspect I'll be shredding the whole damn dictionary in disgust.
Rohzek 
15004 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M
Offline
Posted 4/24/16 , edited 4/24/16
I honestly don't think SJW is used enough. Social Justice Warriors have largely dug themselves their own graves for making the term have a negative connotation. The best case examples can be their flippant treatment of the Freedom of Speech enshrined in the US Constitution and more strongly the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Just look at the ridiculous speech codes on college campuses that they beg administrators for. We don't worry about plenty of other labels having negative connotations due to their historical actions. Therefore, I see no reason to worry in this case in general. The people who tend to wear this supposed badge of honor care more about identity politics than individuality. This is a rough generalization on my part, and by no means does it describe all SJW's. There are some self-identified SJW's who have acknowledged the problems I have highlighted and seek to reform it. That being said, the movement as a whole I think is no longer productive and beyond redemption. It has reached a point of no return. It goes after the jobs of those who disagree with it. It is incapable of seeing the beauty of gray, as it only sees the world in the moral shades of black and white. And that sort of world view paves the way to hell, no matter how well their intentions might be.
Posted 4/24/16
- Lol
1502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/24/16

ck1west wrote:

- Lol


LOL! I have some popcorn we could share.

Posted 4/24/16

ck1west wrote:

- Lol


same
22653 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/24/16 , edited 4/24/16

WeeabooWarrior wrote:

"condescending and mob-like"

Explain how an individual calling someone an SJW is mob like. That's just confusing.





Like I said earlier, I'm more alright with it when people are self aware it does not make for a rational argument, but rather derives from something more emotional (like getting pissed off or frustrated).

As for mob-like, I do not think it beyond the observation that the phrase "SJW" is an indicator of 'enemy' or 'out-group'. It's just another expression of human tribalism. When it comes to persuading people to action one needs to appeal to passion and righteousness--less through reasoning. If you step back to watch it, you'll likely see it. The angry shouts of "SJWs are ruining everything! They're angry, vile and unreasonable! Look at their acts of atrocity! They're poisonous and selfish! Violent and deplorable human beings!".

Humans are much easier led on a crusade by the passions of their righteousness.


Rohzek wrote:

I honestly don't think SJW is used enough. Social Justice Warriors have largely dug themselves their own graves for making the term have a negative connotation. The best case examples can be their flippant treatment of the Freedom of Speech enshrined in the US Constitution and more strongly the UN's Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Just look at the ridiculous speech codes on college campuses that they beg administrators for. We don't worry about plenty of other labels having negative connotations due to their historical actions. Therefore, I see no reason to worry in this case in general. The people who tend to wear this supposed badge of honor care more about identity politics than individuality. This is a rough generalization on my part, and by no means does it describe all SJW's. There are some self-identified SJW's who have acknowledged the problems I have highlighted and seek to reform it. That being said, the movement as a whole I think is no longer productive and beyond redemption. It has reached a point of no return. It goes after the jobs of those who disagree with it. It is incapable of seeing the beauty of gray, as it only sees the world in the moral shades of black and white. And that sort of world view paves the way to hell, no matter how well their intentions might be.


Some people wear it as a badge of honor like any insult. The current connotation--the popular and present usage originated in GamerGate culture to signify the enemy.

My point here is that the insult has no place in a rational argument. An insult can still be valid means of expressing condemnation, disapproval, frustration or other emotional responses...just as any other insult. My point is that in an attempted logical argument, the phrase has nothing to stand on and if anything depreciates the reasoning of the argument by introducing passionate thought processes.



40142 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/24/16

PrinceJudar wrote:


I used to think somewhat along these lines myself. The reasoning against it, I found, is that it is inherently a pejorative term--not a descriptive one. I originally had viewed it as the latter, but I realize that it is not used neutrally. The popularity of the phrase was accelerated by the GamerGate controversy--harnessed to label the enemy. Never is the label thrown without the negative connotation of the person or persons being unreasonable. It is always a form of insult whether upon a group or an individual. Social Justice is descriptive. Social justice Warrior is slanderous.


I agree with your logic, and accept your history of the word; but, I disagree with your implied conclusion that SWJ has limited or no value because its often used slanderously, and is inherently pejorative. That a concept is used in a derogatory fashion by others does not necessarily invalidate it, and certainly not its usefulness as a descriptor. As long as I am honest in how I use and understand the concept, then its not an issue in that regard if others are unfair in its use. I will certainly have to use the words more carefully in context if I think its going to have an unintended edge, but that's it. And, sometimes, I do want to let the other person know that they're being intellectually dishonest in a direct way. There are times when putting up the mirror is the only chance a conversation has.

Also, I want to argue that the label does has descriptive merits above and beyond understanding Social Justice. Social Justice is a movement, and a set of principles. It can imply the beliefs of an individual, but nothing else. Social Justice Warrior indicates that the subject believes in Social Justice, but it also implies how they think that it should be put into practice, their perceived group membership, and accepted methods for pushing their agenda. To say it differently, a Social Justice Warrior is someone who believes in Social Justice in a particular context. For example, I believe in Social Justice. In principle, I believe that all people should have equal rights, and economic opportunities. And, I even believe that socially engineering equality can sometimes have merits. But I do not consider myself a Social Justice Warrior, not because I disagree with the core ideas, but I disagree with certain practices. I don't believe in the validity of workplace affirmative action, for example. It violates my concept of Social Justice. I believe in Social Justice, therefore I believe in women's economic and social rights; but, I not a Social Justice Warrior, because I dont believe in anything resembling the idea that "everything is sexist, everything is racist, and that *I* have to point it all out." I actually dont believe that sexism is a problem in western society, because the numbers simply dont show that it is. I believe in Social Justice, so I see the value of a Marxist analysis of culture and social class; but, I am not a SJW, as I dont believe in a hard definition of political correctness. Censorship, even of the most awful ideas, violates my concept of Social Justice. I find directed public shaming inexcusable; not acceptable. In anycase, the point is that there is a world of difference between holding a set of principles, and applying them. I hold that SJW carries descriptive value that Social Justice does not.
8488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 4/24/16
Like bigot, homophobe, ect, it uses depend on YOUR parameters and how you apply to the post. Without it, it's just a meaningless word. For example, for every time I called someone a bigot, I followed a rational thought of explaining my definition of racism and it parameters, and how person a was exhibiting them. Of course, it didn't get through to some people.
13577 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 4/24/16 , edited 4/24/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:
Like bigot, homophobe, ect, it uses depend on YOUR parameters and how you apply to the post. Without it, it's just a meaningless word. For example, for every time I called someone a bigot, I followed a rational thought of explaining my definition of racism and it parameters, and how person a was exhibiting them. Of course, it didn't get through to some people. :(


Kira0309 wrote:
He will be back. They always come back
You're stuck with us forever ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
xxJing 
37175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 4/24/16
One day I woke up and decided, today I am going to fight someone else's battle, whether they like it or not.
8488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 4/24/16

xxJing wrote:

One day I woke up and decided, today I am going to fight someone else's battle, whether they like it or not.


I don't see what is wrong with delving into matters that "Don't" concern you. It be a better world if everyone cared about Darfur became political involved or something.
xxJing 
37175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 4/24/16 , edited 4/24/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


xxJing wrote:

One day I woke up and decided, today I am going to fight someone else's battle, whether they like it or not.


I don't see what is wrong with delving into matters that "Don't" concern you. It be a better world if everyone cared about Darfur became political involved or something.


I'll be an advocate for politically incorrect behavior... A social injustice warrior if you will.
8488 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Offline
Posted 4/24/16

xxJing wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


xxJing wrote:

One day I woke up and decided, today I am going to fight someone else's battle, whether they like it or not.


I don't see what is wrong with delving into matters that "Don't" concern you. It be a better world if everyone cared about Darfur became political involved or something.


I'll be an advocate for politically incorrect behavior... A social injustice warrior if you will.


I suppose an isolationist policy and a disbandment of the UN is in order?
30236 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
It doesn't matter.
Offline
Posted 4/24/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


xxJing wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


xxJing wrote:

One day I woke up and decided, today I am going to fight someone else's battle, whether they like it or not.


I don't see what is wrong with delving into matters that "Don't" concern you. It be a better world if everyone cared about Darfur became political involved or something.


I'll be an advocate for politically incorrect behavior... A social injustice warrior if you will.


I suppose an isolationist policy and a disbandment of the UN is in order?


Look who's back.
xxJing 
37175 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / Duckburg
Offline
Posted 4/24/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:


xxJing wrote:


PeripheralVisionary wrote:


xxJing wrote:

One day I woke up and decided, today I am going to fight someone else's battle, whether they like it or not.


I don't see what is wrong with delving into matters that "Don't" concern you. It be a better world if everyone cared about Darfur became political involved or something.


I'll be an advocate for politically incorrect behavior... A social injustice warrior if you will.


I suppose an isolationist policy and a disbandment of the UN is in order?


No, we will take over the galaxy and impose order under the name of the Lohengraham Dynasty.

First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.