First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
Post Reply Does these seem like the reasons as to why people don't read often?
42419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/25/16

stars201 wrote:

It's a mix of #4 and #7 for me


I'm number four and I still read books. It's a challenge for me to visualize when I read.
42419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/25/16


Yeah, I mean if movies followed the books thoroughly then the movie would be too long.
35 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/25/16
I don't find reading outdated or even out-classed by newer forms of media. If anything I find myself, as well as many others, simply do not enjoy reading as much due to preference. As to why people prefer alternative mediums, I'm sure there is a diverse plethora of reasons. Personally however I find that I instinctively demand a certain amount of stimulation from whatever I am investing myself. I'm about to get into my personal thought process so beware a wall of text.

42419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/25/16


Well that was pretty lengthy. But I get it.
35 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M
Offline
Posted 4/25/16
I have never been skilled at condensing my thoughts on the internet. So I appreciate you actually read it!

606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 4/25/16 , edited 4/25/16
I agree with relt95; the average experience with books is that they're just another nuisance of schooling. Teaching students how to read and enjoy books isn't easy - it requires at least a somewhat engaging teacher. If you don't know what to do with the book, your students are just going to be bored: Great Expectations is pretty boring for a middle-school kid. They've got to see themselves in it somehow.

Though I will likely never read them (because I'm a snob), the Harry Potter series has done a lot of good getting kids actually interested in reading. I guess they're exciting, though I don't know why; the books sound like a thematically-weak ripoff of mythology to me. Even the juvenile humor is weak: why would you want a lame Uranus joke when you could read about Hephaestus ensnaring his cheating wife Aphrodite in the bed with her lover and bringing all the other gods in to laugh at them caught naked together? Or Actaeon stumbling upon a naked Artemis bathing in the woods, for which he gets turned into a stag and eaten by his own hunting dogs? Maybe this was just me, but I imagine teenagers are more likely to be interested the more sexual the story gets...
13605 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / Australia
Offline
Posted 4/25/16 , edited 4/25/16
I don't read much because of poor visualisation. I also have a very poor memory when reading something. I'll have to re read the same paragraph 10 times before I can recall content faintly.

I love writing though. Creating characters is so fun! I very rarely write out my ideas though, they just happen in my mind when I'm listening to music. Music is a wonderful thing.
606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / The Ivory Tower
Offline
Posted 4/25/16 , edited 4/25/16

BeAliveStrive wrote:

I don't find reading outdated or even out-classed by newer forms of media. If anything I find myself, as well as many others, simply do not enjoy reading as much due to preference. As to why people prefer alternative mediums, I'm sure there is a diverse plethora of reasons. Personally however I find that I instinctively demand a certain amount of stimulation from whatever I am investing myself. I'm about to get into my personal thought process so beware a wall of text.



This is a good point: you've got to project your own experience of the world onto the novel. I've never been in the situation where someone's about to murder me, so I can only imagine what that person's face would look like. It could possess some rarely-seen contortion that only appears when a person is murderous, or it could be entirely normal. Both would be interesting, and each would mean something different in context. You could even write that scene without describing the face. But you see it in an anime, or live-action.
Posted 4/25/16
I have stopped reading because after several years of not reading, which I used to thoroughly enjoy, my taste has changed, and I don't know which authors would provide something satisfactory.... I don't want to waste time searching for the good stuff. I've tried the "top fiction books list" from websites and after a few of them being meh, I gave up.
14767 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/25/16 , edited 4/25/16
Speaking as a writer who gave up on "adult" books years ago:

8) Bestsellers, which once fueled our big movies in the 50's, 60's and 70's, have become needlessly introspective and navel-gazing, and basically just plotless diaries for their authors to work out their own fantasy issues.
(While the crime, mystery and thriller authors still invoke corny outdated 90's tropes hoping for that James Patterson-like movie deal.)

It's a wonder the book industry still even exists after everything Nicholas Sparks did to it.
20813 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / California
Offline
Posted 4/25/16
For me I have a hard time visualizing enviroments when reading, an example would be back in 3rd grade I was reading one of the Harry Potter books and I could never visualize what the stuff actually looked like so basically in my mind it was just the characters moving through bleak white enviroments, which kinda made it seem less interesting.

I still do enjoy reading though.
42419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/25/16

GrandMasterTime wrote:

I don't read much because of poor visualisation. I also have a very poor memory when reading something. I'll have to re read the same paragraph 10 times before I can recall content faintly.

I love writing though. Creating characters is so fun! I very rarely write out my ideas though, they just happen in my mind when I'm listening to music. Music is a wonderful thing.


I hear that.
19574 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / missouri
Offline
Posted 4/25/16
I fall into the category of it being boring. I also think that part of my brain is slower. I prefer to hear. I can listen to an audio book for hours and retain quite a bit of info: however I can read about two pages and remember almost nothing. Even anime with fast subtitles will loose me.

Audio over text. Numbers over Letters. Games over Novels.
If you truly want to tell a story or convey an idea write a video game. Nothing other than real life is as immersive or thought provoking as gaming.
42419 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/25/16

jujitsu213 wrote:

I fall into the category of it being boring. I also think that part of my brain is slower. I prefer to hear. I can listen to an audio book for hours and retain quite a bit of info: however I can read about two pages and remember almost nothing. Even anime with fast subtitles will loose me.

Audio over text. Numbers over Letters. Games over Novels.
If you truly want to tell a story or convey an idea write a video game. Nothing other than real life is as immersive or thought provoking as gaming.


Audio books are cool.
628 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Sacramento, CA
Offline
Posted 4/25/16
I used to hate reading as a kid because in school we were forced to read a bunch of books I wasn't interested in, but now that I can choose my own genres and titles I read every day.

I used to have problems with visualization, like a few of you have mentioned, until I started casting every character in my head like it was a hollywood movie. It helps me to picture a character's face and hear their voices in my head if I already have a good idea of what they look like. The key is to choose small time actors whose names you don't remember and not get hung up on the fact that their description in the book isn't EXACTLY perfect. I've even changed the ethnicity of some characters in my head just to match how I cast it. (Ex: The main character of Arena Mode is white, but I had him pictured as a light skinned black guy for whatever reason). I find a character's appearance has very little do with the actual story line most of the time so it doesn't hurt to miscast someone as a character they're not supposed to look like.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.