First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
Post Reply How good are you at English?
30791 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16
I'd say it's good. My ability to form coherent sentences through speech may suck something fierce, but I don't think that equates to me being bad at English. I at least write well to make up for it.
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16
Can I teach you we can learn together
17656 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
18 / F / Croatia
Offline
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16
I certainly could be better, but I think I've made a lot of progress in the last 2 years. Besides, English is not my native language. People will forgive me if I make a mistake or two. I've only got a problem with grammar (tenses) and linking words, everything else seems fine to me.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16
It comes and goes... just like my ideas and thoughts.
Wish I could be more stable in... everything..

The Turntable Turnabout (Mystery Skulls - Money)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhjk5x54bsE
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16

Razor_Girl wrote:

Rinrinrinn this is one my mother used to use when she was teaching English. It was used to remind people to check their facts. http://www.cs.cornell.edu/info/people/fcc/humor/history.html Best when read aloud...if you can make it through without laughing so hard you cry.




I am going to have my students read a few of those now.
18926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / F / Reston, VA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16

Rinrinrinn wrote:


Razor_Girl wrote:

Rinrinrinn this is one my mother used to use when she was teaching English. It was used to remind people to check their facts. http://www.cs.cornell.edu/info/people/fcc/humor/history.html Best when read aloud...if you can make it through without laughing so hard you cry.




I am going to have my students read a few of those now.


So glad you like it! I may have a few other items like that tucked away in the boxes I have been unpacking. Will have to keep an eye peeled for them to turn up.
14783 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16
I'm still trying to find that list of English grammar rules that was posted everywhere, even on our class bulletin board:

1) Eschew extraneous verbosity. (Write simply.)

2) A writer shouldn't change your point of view, especially when I'm in the middle of a sentence.

3) And that goes for fragments.

4) Always your verbs.

5) It's the best reason not to use dangling participles.

6) "My hobbies are cooking my kids and my pets." - Commas are important.
824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16
Well, as a native speaker, I ought to be pretty good at it.
As far as writing well, and utilizing proper grammar, spelling, etc., I can write a pretty decent essay/research paper if I put my mind to it, but usually I can't be bothered. I also believe that I have a pretty good grasp on words, and how to use them.
18926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / F / Reston, VA, USA
Offline
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16

Ejanss wrote:

I'm still trying to find that list of English grammar rules that was posted everywhere, even on our class bulletin board:

1) Eschew extraneous verbosity. (Write simply.)

2) A writer shouldn't change your point of view, especially when I'm in the middle of a sentence.

3) And that goes for fragments.

4) Always your verbs.

5) It's the best reason not to use dangling participles.

6) "My hobbies are cooking my kids and my pets." - Commas are important.


See if this link helps... http://www.plainlanguage.gov/examples/humor/writegood.cfm
61159 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M
Online
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 5/18/16
It should be, "How well are you at English?"
824 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16

staphen wrote:

It should be, "How well are you at English?"


No.
35284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16

Razor_Girl wrote:

Rinrinrinn this is one my mother used to use when she was teaching English. It was used to remind people to check their facts. http://www.cs.cornell.edu/info/people/fcc/humor/history.html Best when read aloud...if you can make it through without laughing so hard you cry.


"I have pasted together the following 'history of the world' from certifiably genuine student bloopers collected by teachers throughout the United States, from eighth grade through college level."

I can't say I'm really surprised, but still...
One can only hope they weren't English majors.
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16

ahatestory wrote:

"I have pasted together the following 'history of the world' from certifiably genuine student bloopers collected by teachers throughout the United States, from eighth grade through college level."

I can't say I'm really surprised, but still...
One can only hope they weren't English majors.


When I took my 400 level Grammar and Style class, part of our regular task was to identify and correct mistakes on papers / essays written by college freshmen. I honestly have no idea how any of those students were allowed to graduate high school with their level of writing / grammar.
35284 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / M
Offline
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16

Rinrinrinn wrote:


ahatestory wrote:

"I have pasted together the following 'history of the world' from certifiably genuine student bloopers collected by teachers throughout the United States, from eighth grade through college level."

I can't say I'm really surprised, but still...
One can only hope they weren't English majors.


When I took my 400 level Grammar and Style class, part of our regular task was to identify and correct mistakes on papers / essays written by college freshmen. I honestly have no idea how any of those students were allowed to graduate high school with their level of writing / grammar.


It's amazing, really. I remember back in 11th grade, students in my English class had to read parts from The Crucible out loud. I was shocked to observe my fellow native English speakers stumbling through this task with halting English. A lot of these students were smart enough to be in advanced classes, too, so it was rather disappointing.
Posted 4/27/16 , edited 4/28/16

ahatestory wrote:

It's amazing, really. I remember back in 11th grade, students in my English class had to read parts from The Crucible out loud. I was shocked to observe my fellow native English speakers stumbling through this task with halting English. A lot of these students were smart enough to be in advanced classes, too, so it was rather disappointing.


Mhmmm... And here's the kicker: English is not even my first / native language. I've only been living in the US since 2004 and when I attended community college, I was bored out of my mind and utterly shocked at how bad the other students were when it came to reading and vocabulary.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.