First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
Post Reply Should Fast Food be banned?
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16

Xxanthar wrote:

I think people who want to tell other people how to live should be banned from breathing.


Lol.
11622 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
40 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16
I wouldn't care either way. It would cause problems for some people if it was banned though.
7413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16
I'm sorry but anyone who thinks "banning" anything is the answer shouldn't be living in a democracy or a democratic republic, even. The very practice of banning is more that of a restrictive state of mind similar to that of Russia during the cold war or Communist China. I remember as a child the "bright" school board banning a list of books from the school library and actually threatening us if we had the audacity to read them. From memory, I know Catcher in the Rye, Tom Sawyer and Fahrenheit 451 were all on the list (and most of us read them all). We live in a nation (at least those of us in the US) where we have the freedom to choose and the freedom to pay whatever price is due if we screw up choosing. It's the American way.
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16

neugenx wrote:

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks "banning" anything is the answer shouldn't be living in a democracy or a democratic republic, even.


Even murder? Assault? Going a particular speed in your car? You do realize that government exists in order to ban people from doing shit?
4502 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16
Not all fast food is unhealthy. Some of it is. If you don't want it don't eat it.
2360 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
17 / M / The Bay
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16
No, most of my friends eat it cause we're poor students.

Personally I don't like fast food, but there's days I literally have to eat it. On top of it being cheap for people in HS, I sometimes have workdays where I have to leave the house at 6 am and don't get home till 9 pm, including rush hour commute since my job is 70 miles from my house. In that window of time I don't have time to sit down for breakfast or dinner. I usually grab the food while driving and eat while on the road, it's the only way I can get places on time.

That response above is the logical answer, but seriously... why the hell should you tell me how to live my life? If I want to eat fast food, I'll eat fucking fast food. You don't take away decisions from people because that's what you believe, we all have opinions, don't force yours down my throat.
Sogno- 
45722 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16
sure why not go ahead , do your thing
7413 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
48 / M / New England, USA
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16

theYchromosome wrote:


neugenx wrote:

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks "banning" anything is the answer shouldn't be living in a democracy or a democratic republic, even.


Even murder? Assault? Going a particular speed in your car? You do realize that government exists in order to ban people from doing shit?


Actually, there is no "ban" on committing murder or driving your car faster there's are of course penalties to pay if you screw up and make the choice to do it (in case you missed the last line of my post)...

"We live in a nation (at least those of us in the US) where we have the freedom to choose and the freedom to pay whatever price is due if we screw up choosing. It's the American way."

We have the choice to screw up and pay whatever penalties come do but we do still in fact have "murder" and "speeding" there for us as an option (a bad one of course except in the case of self-defense or an inescapable emergency life or death situation) and not taken entirely out of the equation like "banning" does. Now if everyone had an implant in their brain that "shut them off" every time they contemplated murder or cars that instantly adjusted to the speed limit without going a mile over then we could say there was a ban on speeding and murder but until then the "option" is still there.
59230 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
58 / M / USA
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16

descloud wrote:

Truthfully I do. It shortens your lifespan, it causes you to have serious health issues down the road. There is zero benefit for anyone eating this stuff. In fact, some fast foods food grade is even just above dog food. That's a pretty scary thought.

Your thoughts?


Living shortens your lifespan.

Given the amount of contradictory advice provided by nutritionists and diet specialists (Eggs are bad for you! No wait, they're good for you! Whole milk is bad for you!, No wait, it's actually good for you!, etc.) it's difficult to say fast food has 'no benefits'.

There are numerous types of 'fast' food as mentioned by others, and while some types may be less healthy, isn't it the individual's responsibility to make that determination? I'll eat what I choose, thanks all the same.
47864 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / M
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16

neugenx wrote:


theYchromosome wrote:


neugenx wrote:

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks "banning" anything is the answer shouldn't be living in a democracy or a democratic republic, even.


Even murder? Assault? Going a particular speed in your car? You do realize that government exists in order to ban people from doing shit?


Actually, there is no "ban" on committing murder or driving your car faster there's are of course penalties to pay if you screw up and make the choice to do it (in case you missed the last line of my post)...

"We live in a nation (at least those of us in the US) where we have the freedom to choose and the freedom to pay whatever price is due if we screw up choosing. It's the American way."

We have the choice to screw up and pay whatever penalties come do but we do still in fact have "murder" and "speeding" there for us as an option (a bad one of course except in the case of self-defense or an inescapable emergency life or death situation) and not taken entirely out of the equation like "banning" does. Now if everyone had an implant in their brain that "shut them off" every time they contemplated murder or cars that instantly adjusted to the speed limit without going a mile over then we could say there was a ban on speeding and murder but until then the "option" is still there.


It seems to me as though you're saying that, if we have a law against murder, but people can get away with it, then it hasn't been banned. It seems like such a strange way of thinking about it, that I'm sure I must be misrepresenting you somehow. To me, a government implementing a ban on something happens when they make a law that says 'you can't do x.' When the government passes such a law, then I say 'x has been banned.' It seems like you're saying a ban is when the government says 'you can't do x,' but with the requirement that they're successful in stopping it. If that's the case, then I'm not really sure the government can ban anything, which is fine, but kind of trivializes the answer to OP's question. It would be like OP making a question like 'should Spongebob Squarepants be elected president?'
6646 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / USA
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16
Ever see the movie Thank You For Smoking? It is about a tobacco lobbyist whose job it is to convince people that smoking isn't bad and a disagreement he has with a senator who wants to restrict tobacco sales. And no, he does realize a supposed error of his ways and quit by the end. Rather he delivers a speech that smoking should be legal provided the public is educated about the health risks of smoking because people should be free to make adult choices.

People should be educated that fast food is bad for you. They should be told overconsumption leads to obesity and other health problems. But then they should be left to make their own choice. Some people actually like fast food and other foods that are bad for you. A prior person mentioned ice cream, but I would also add cheese, chips, red meat, many canned meats, hot dogs, and other foods to that list as well. By banning a product you are essentially saying that you believe the common person is not smart enough to make their own decisions so we should let the experts decide for them.

In the end of Thank You For Smoking the tobacco lobbyist says that when his son turns 18 and knowing what harm cigarettes can cause still wants to smoke he will buy his son a pack of cigarettes. And I have a similar stance on fast food. Let people know how bad it is and if they still want to eat it let them.
16390 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / F / Arizona, US
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16
No, because you should let people decide whether to ruin their bodies with fast food or not. I can agree that it's bad for you, but if you make people do something like ban fast food, they're going to not likely going to follow those rules. It's better to promote healthy eating than try to ban fast food, because it'll have the opposite effect of what you want to do.
qwueri 
16464 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16
Defining what is and isn't fast food would be a legislative nightmare. Nevermind the economic and social ramifications.

Politicing aside, I think people should be able to choose what they eat. Most fast food is only harmful well beyond moderation, and getting people to eat healthier takes more than slapping that triple bacon cheeseburger out of their hands.
177 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / North America
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16
I think the question is... Should the people who support fast food be banned? Because I care about my health.
42415 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 4/26/16 , edited 4/28/16
Whatever makes you happy go for it.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.