First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
Post Reply Why don't pro-life people advocate defunding the NRA instead?
Humms 
11553 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M / CAN, ON
Offline
Posted 4/28/16
XD

Do realize what you've done? You made me laugh, bravo.

But seriously, LMAO, not trying to kick you while your down or anything, it's just that this post was absolutely ridiculous, and I mean that with no intention of discouraging you since you seem very serious about this topic.
Posted 4/28/16 , edited 4/30/16
57964 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M
Offline
Posted 4/28/16 , edited 4/28/16
Let's see. There's a group that is funded by the government that ends human life, mostly for petty reasons (I think rape, incest, danger to the mother's or child's life, etc. are acceptable reasons, but cases like those make up a minority of abortions). Then there's a group that doesn't kill or tell anyone else to kill and isn't receiving tax payer money. While I'm sure they both just care about making a profit, they're two completely different groups with different actions and different circumstances. Saying that pro-lifers should be against one if they're against the other doesn't make sense.

A law abiding citizen doesn't buy a gun to kill people. Guns, like any other weapon in the history of mankind, can be used to protect yourself or someone else from an assailant (and there's also recreational uses that don't involve hurting anyone period). We all know accidents happen and that criminals intentionally kill. Blaming innocent citizens or a group that doesn't advocate for that is ridiculous. That's nothing like the government paying money for a doctor to dispose of another human's life. Especially when most of the outrage over Planned Parenthood came from the group getting caught on tape trying to illegally sell baby parts.

I don't like defending the NRA, but this argument is just silly. You might as well say people who hate fish should hate chicken too.
14107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/28/16

PhantomGundam wrote:

Let's see. There's a group that is funded by the government that ends human life, mostly for petty reasons (I think rape, incest, danger to the mother's or child's life, etc. are acceptable reasons, but cases like those make up a minority of abortions). Then there's a group that doesn't kill or tell anyone else to kill and isn't receiving tax payer money. While I'm sure they both just care about making a profit, they're two completely different groups with different actions and different circumstances. Saying that pro-lifers should be against one if they're against the other doesn't make sense.

A law abiding citizen doesn't buy a gun to kill people. Guns, like any other weapon in the history of mankind, can be used to protect yourself or someone else from an assailant (and there's also recreational uses that don't involve hurting anyone period). We all know accidents happen and that criminals intentionally kill. Blaming innocent citizens or a group that doesn't advocate for that is ridiculous. That's nothing like the government paying money for a doctor to dispose of another human's life. Especially when most of the outrage over Planned Parenthood came from the group getting caught on tape trying to illegally sell baby parts.

I don't like defending the NRA, but this argument is just silly. You might as well say people who hate fish should hate chicken too.

I agree that the comparison between abortion and guns doesn't really hold up but I just want to clear up a couple things:

First of all, Planned Parenthood by law cannot use federal funding for abortions. When it comes to the money PP is getting, your taxpayer money is not going to abortions.

Second of all, from everything I heard, PP did nothing illegal when it came to the "selling of baby parts". By law, they are allowed to charge reasonable fees for the transportation, storage etc of fetal tissue that has been donated to science with consent from the mother.
Posted 4/28/16
Lol-> Loaded question but guess what I want my guns for my protection yes, and secondly p. parenthood has done some good things for me not going into details. let's just say I am cancer free! So do not be so fast to criticize p.parenthood ok done here.

17679 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
34 / F / In a van down by...
Offline
Posted 4/28/16
Y'all realize that those PP videos that supposedly show their employees selling baby parts or whatever was staged by a pro-life group right?

I mean, even the leader admitted it...
37456 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 4/28/16 , edited 4/28/16
You should read up on the history of the NRA and gun rights. It's interesting stuff and gives some good insight into how government oversight (and overreach) can backfire.

To answer the question though, no we should not "de-fund" the NRA, because it is a private organization that is funded entirely by donations and payments from it's members who are mostly private citizens. It would be unconstitutional for the government to get in the way of NRA fundraising.

The NRA is in fact one of the largest "grassroots" organizations in the world. If you can de-fund the NRA you can just as easily de-fund the ACLU. Whatever your political stance, we can all agree that government should not suppress free speech and the right of the citizens to assemble.
8535 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / Ark-La-Tex
Online
Posted 4/28/16

PhantomGundam wrote:

Especially when most of the outrage over Planned Parenthood came from the group getting caught on tape trying to illegally sell baby parts.



They weren't doing that. The videos were discredited almost immediately.
11380 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / Clinton, NY
Online
Posted 4/28/16


INTP Here
2700 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / M / NY
Offline
Posted 4/28/16
I own a rifle, am pro-choice, and registered independent, and yet sadly am not in the least bit confused as to why these individual topics are linked.

I am however slowly sighing as to some of the reasons why.

Sogno- 
47201 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
27 / F / SC
Offline
Posted 4/28/16 , edited 4/28/16
oh look, butterflies

runec 
33074 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Online
Posted 4/28/16
Man, this isn't even good bait.

This is 10 cents a pound sold out of the back of a suspicious truck with no plates on the side of the highway bait.
lawdog 
44663 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 4/28/16
1) NRA is not funded by the Federal government.

2) NRA has not killed more human beings than Hitler and Stalin combined, which Planned Parenthood has done.

3) Lawful gun owners never plan on killing fellow human beings; killing human beings is what Planned Parenthood primarily does.

4) Every dollar that the Feds give to PP, that is supposedly not to go for abortions...guess what that enables them to do with the rest of their budget?

5) You were not "potential life" from the moment of your conception; you were alive. Life begins at conception. It is not potential life, it is alive. We all die, and some of us die in the womb...but we've all been alive since conception. Go to a miscarriage support group if you want to understand this issue.

6) You are using flawed statistics.

7) Guns have saved lives, and saved people from rape and robbery. Even in the incredibly rare instances where an abortion is needed to save the life of a mother (and those numbers are ridiculously small), someone always dies.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
29 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 4/28/16 , edited 4/28/16
Let us look at the facts:


NRA was literally founded in part to help protect black people from the lynch mob.



Planned Parenthood was literally founded to commit genocide against black people.





Now which group do you want to defend, again?








Nogara-san wrote:

Y'all realize that those PP videos that supposedly show their employees selling baby parts or whatever was staged by a pro-life group right?

I mean, even the leader admitted it...




geauxtigers1989 wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

Especially when most of the outrage over Planned Parenthood came from the group getting caught on tape trying to illegally sell baby parts.



They weren't doing that. The videos were discredited almost immediately.








Except they weren't:



http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/29/independent-forensics-team-center-medical-progress-videos-authentic/








sundin13 wrote:


PhantomGundam wrote:

Let's see. There's a group that is funded by the government that ends human life, mostly for petty reasons (I think rape, incest, danger to the mother's or child's life, etc. are acceptable reasons, but cases like those make up a minority of abortions). Then there's a group that doesn't kill or tell anyone else to kill and isn't receiving tax payer money. While I'm sure they both just care about making a profit, they're two completely different groups with different actions and different circumstances. Saying that pro-lifers should be against one if they're against the other doesn't make sense.

A law abiding citizen doesn't buy a gun to kill people. Guns, like any other weapon in the history of mankind, can be used to protect yourself or someone else from an assailant (and there's also recreational uses that don't involve hurting anyone period). We all know accidents happen and that criminals intentionally kill. Blaming innocent citizens or a group that doesn't advocate for that is ridiculous. That's nothing like the government paying money for a doctor to dispose of another human's life. Especially when most of the outrage over Planned Parenthood came from the group getting caught on tape trying to illegally sell baby parts.

I don't like defending the NRA, but this argument is just silly. You might as well say people who hate fish should hate chicken too.

I agree that the comparison between abortion and guns doesn't really hold up but I just want to clear up a couple things:

First of all, Planned Parenthood by law cannot use federal funding for abortions. When it comes to the money PP is getting, your taxpayer money is not going to abortions.

Second of all, from everything I heard, PP did nothing illegal when it came to the "selling of baby parts". By law, they are allowed to charge reasonable fees for the transportation, storage etc of fetal tissue that has been donated to science with consent from the mother.





They received "compensation" FAR higher than the market costs for transportation and storage.



They were selling the parts, plain and simple.
14107 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Offline
Posted 4/28/16 , edited 4/28/16

maxgale wrote:

Let us look at the facts:


NRA was literally founded in part to help protect black people from the lynch mob.



Planned Parenthood was literally founded to commit genocide against black people.


Now which group do you want to defend, again?

They received "compensation" FAR higher than the market costs for transportation and storage.

They were selling the parts, plain and simple.


-NRA was literally founded to promote and encourage rifle shooting on a scientific basis
-Planned Parenthood was literally founded to promote knowledge and use of birth control, and one of its most influential presidents was a black woman.

Do you actually have any proof that they obtained a compensation higher than what would be legal? As Politifact states, "experts largely agree" that the fees were within the scope of the law.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.