First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
Post Reply Bedtime reading could disadvantage other children
29741 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
22 / M / Fraxinus
Offline
Posted 5/1/16
At this point I don't even care about what researchers say anymore. Next thing you know they'll be telling us how to breathe, and that going to the bathroom at certain times could shorten your lifespan by fifty years. So much time goes into studying the absolute stupidest of shit.
804 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/1/16

WeeabooWarrior wrote:

Thank the lord we have Trump. >.>


I knew this would end up about politics.
16404 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
19 / M / east coast. Let t...
Online
Posted 5/1/16

Southern55 wrote:

Did I seriously just read "We shouldn't read to our children because it makes our children's lives better than that of others?"


"My life sucks so yours should too!" basically?


I thought we were supposed to make our kids lives better. I'm clearly wrong though. Just look at the article. It can't be wrong, dude. It's on the internet! They know what's up, doc.
4496 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
UK
Online
Posted 5/1/16
I didn't read the article. All research should be heard with a grain of salt. Researchers are human so they'll struggle with objectivity. Studies and experimentation take place within some limitations so the results can't be expected to be universal unless everywhere replicates the same study in every social setting.

You don't have to necessarily buy books to read if you've got libraries. Yes some parents don't have the time to read to their youngsters, there may even be some who struggle to read themselves. I was raised with having bedtime stories from young. It meant that when I started nursery aged 3 and school I already recognised many written words. My nephews were the same. My niece got some bedtimes stories from family besides her mother because sis didn't put time into doing it. She struggled to read. She didn't read properly until she was 12 and found a book she liked when I took her to the library. She liked children's horror books. My other sis once got reprimanded by the nursery school teacher who feared she was pushing her 3 year old to be studious. She wasn't she had never formally taught him anything. He'd be on her lap for a bedtime story which was part of child/parenting bonding and bedtime routine. He was fully literate on starting nursery. That's just how he is. At 8 they found his academical level to be that of a 16 year old. He was also immature socially. He started uni/college at 16 when most teens start at 18 or older. Oh he's considered to have aspergers.

Some places/schools offer book clubs for children to encourage reading. They also offer literacy classes for parents who struggle or who are new to speaking English. Schools provide books as well as taking classes to visit the local community libraries so they can borrow books to take home.
11768 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / McDonough
Offline
Posted 5/1/16 , edited 5/1/16

Frenzify wrote:

At this point I don't even care about what researchers say anymore. Next thing you know they'll be telling us how to breathe, and that going to the bathroom at certain times could shorten your lifespan by fifty years. So much time goes into studying the absolute stupidest of shit.


Well frankly depending on how you loophole logic I'm a "researcher" of aerospace engineering and *insert something that sounds really difficult here* because I once googled photos of the space shuttle.

Seriously wonder what "researchers" are actually researchers half the time with these articles.

Also this guy is an "academic" not a researcher.

And he is arguing that Parent's should "Keep in mind that they are disadvantaging other peoples children" because they read to their <i>own</i> children at night... Because apparently if your child is the smartest kid in class (or has the strongest bond with his family, at this point in the quote OP provided I'm not even sure what he's trying to argue. Family bonding is bad for other people? Or something?), that's a problem.
Posted 5/1/16

foraslan wrote:


WeeabooWarrior wrote:

Thank the lord we have Trump. >.>


I knew this would end up about politics.


Well, it's kind of tied into it. You can't really get SJW or Social Issues without having Politics involved.

Am I wrong?
10831 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
13 / F / California
Offline
Posted 5/1/16 , edited 5/1/16


It's amazing how it's coming to life. Seashell radios and flat screen TVs.... Hounds, don't they mean drones?

27486 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / Kaguya's Panties
Offline
Posted 5/1/16
Tsh, if I ever wanted kids (which I don't), I'd read them a bedtime story every night. Time for other parents to lift their game instead of trying to drag better ones down.
lawdog 
40433 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M
Offline
Posted 5/1/16

Frenzify wrote:

At this point I don't even care about what researchers say anymore. Next thing you know they'll be telling us how to breathe, and that going to the bathroom at certain times could shorten your lifespan by fifty years. So much time goes into studying the absolute stupidest of shit.


NEWSFLASH!!!!!

This just in: Researchers have discovered that life causes death!
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 5/1/16
Some people in this thread: Those idiots are suggesting we stop reading bedtime stories!
The article: “You have to allow parents to engage in bedtime stories activities, in fact we encourage them because those are the kinds of interactions between parents and children that do indeed foster and produce these (desired) familial relationship goods.”

...Perhaps some of you should move past the age of letting your parents read everything for you and actually learn how to read yourselves.
5960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/1/16

sundin13 wrote:

Some people in this thread: Those idiots are suggesting we stop reading bedtime stories!


According to Mr Swift, the “devilish twist” was whether bedtime stories should be restricted.

Sounds like Mr Swift was considering it.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 5/1/16

cyberfaust wrote:


sundin13 wrote:

Some people in this thread: Those idiots are suggesting we stop reading bedtime stories!


According to Mr Swift, the “devilish twist” was whether bedtime stories should be restricted.

Sounds like Mr Swift was considering it.


He asked the question "Should we?" and immediately answered "No, we shouldn't"
5960 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Offline
Posted 5/1/16 , edited 5/1/16

sundin13 wrote:
He asked the question "Should we?" and immediately answered "No, we shouldn't"

I think the mere suggestion is disturbing enough.

What does it imply about the audience or speaker that the first concern he addresses after making the claim that bedtime reading creates an unfair advantage is "should we ban it?" The fact he doesn't think its necessary to ban seems irrelevant after the shock of introducing the concept of a ban on such a thing. I think the rustled jimmies are justified.

I can't help but think that in simpler times, Mr Swift would've simply followed up his claim by encouraging parents to read more with their kids.
10593 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
Rabbit Horse
Online
Posted 5/1/16
“Evidence shows that the difference between those who get bedtime stories and those who don’t — the difference in their life chances — is bigger than the difference between those who get elite private schooling and those that don’t,” Mr Swift said.

i'd like to see the evidence, though i wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be junk science.
13129 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
24 / M
Online
Posted 5/1/16

cyberfaust wrote:


sundin13 wrote:
He asked the question "Should we?" and immediately answered "No, we shouldn't"

I think the mere suggestion is disturbing enough.

What does it imply about the audience or speaker that the first concern he addresses after making the claim that bedtime reading creates an unfair advantage is "should we ban it?" The fact he doesn't think its necessary to ban seems irrelevant after the shock of introducing the concept of a ban on such a thing. I think the rustled jimmies are justified.

I can't help but think that in simpler times, Mr Swift would've simply followed up his claim by encouraging parents to read more with their kids.


I agree that it is tremendously stupid, but you (or rather others in this thread) don't need to straw man a stupid argument in order to demonstrate how stupid it is. Just call out the stupid argument and leave it at that.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.