First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
Post Reply Conservativism and Sexism
48490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ar away
Offline
Posted 5/8/16 , edited 5/8/16
I'm a liberal, and quite a hard core one at that. Before you click a different topic, I want to ask something about sexism and get some of your viewpoints regardless of your social ideology. When I lived in Hawaii in the 90's there were quite a few strip joints where completely naked young women would dance and strut in front of horny guys. No pasties, no see thru underwear, nothing. Now all those strip joints are all gone. Pacific rim states like Hawaii have moved ever leftward Is the disappearance of these strip joints a result of this ideological trend?

If they enact legislation with a typical feminist agenda, which is a liberal position, to free women from the bonds of the sex industry, cracking down on all-nude strip joints seems like a logical step. But where it might conflict with a fundamentally liberal perspective, is that people have the freedom to lead their lives however they choose as long as it doesn't hurt anybody. I guess it's more of a cure-the-cold-by treating-the-symptoms kind of thing, rather than getting to the root of the problem. You can take away the strip joints but it doesn't really encourage the empowerment of women as equals to men. It may help hinder the perception of women as sexual objects but there are still strip joints.

Perhaps a more thorough analysis of this question might be to examine what types of strip joints they have in Red states. Or getting an opinion of them from conservative minded folks.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 5/8/16 , edited 5/8/16
I just think some people take clothes too seriously (that even might make take it so far to kill others because of it.. derp) Kill la Kill

oh well I wish they could appreciate the "birthday suit" more.. as some would even go to say its damaging even if thats who you are as a human.

From christian in some sides that would get quite... if a girl is dressed wrong, to muslims about traditional clothing... (even if humans was born without clothes to start with)..
Just damn it all lets get some pelt and live like animals
Posted 5/8/16 , edited 5/9/16
I don't understand why some people just cannot believe that there are women who choose to go into such industries of their own free will. The whole excuse of those women having no other choice is void in my opinion. Sure some of them are in circumstances where they have limited choices, but they are not completely helpless. The best "cure" would be to improve the variety of well-paying jobs easily available to women, not to remove that option for those who would choose to go into those industries.
15947 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / Cold and High
Offline
Posted 5/8/16

Rinrinrinn wrote:
I don't understand why some people just cannot believe that there are women who choose to go into such industries of their own free will. The whole excuse of those women having no other choice is void in my opinion. Sure some of them are in circumstances where they have limited choices, but they are not completely helpless.
From most I hear its fun even considering the dangers and community they could be dragged into.
+ some would say you only got 1 life so its "better then nothing and you get money from it", but that can be quite bad when viewing that way others could "do as they please".

Posted 5/8/16

Freddy96NO wrote:

From most I hear its fun even considering the dangers and community they could be dragged into.
+ some would say you only got 1 life so its "better then nothing and you get money from it", but that can be quite bad when viewing that way others could "do as they please".



I don't understand your point.
48490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ar away
Offline
Posted 5/8/16

Freddy96NO wrote:

I just think some people take clothes too seriously (that even might make take it so far to kill others because of it.. derp) Kill la Kill

oh well I wish they could appreciate the "birthday suit" more.. as some would even go to say its damaging even if thats who you are as a human.

From christian in some sides that would get quite... if a girl is dressed wrong, to muslims about traditional clothing... (even if humans was born without clothes to start with)..
Just damn it all lets get some pelt and live like animals
I'm also a nudist. But I've never gone to a clothing optional beach because any beach I go to where I feel it's not being patrolled, I take it all off, even if other people are there. I just kind of viewed the strip joints as places where other nudists worked, they just happened to get paid to be exhibitionists (which is different from nudism).

14468 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
26 / M / Houma
Offline
Posted 5/8/16
I, formerly conservative, used to hold a low opinion on those who would frequent a strip club. As for the strippers themselves I have always and will continue to respect their choice. It is their liberty and their courage to go into that line of work.

As I see things now I don't really hold it against anyone involved in that scene anymore. I personally don't feel going to one fulfills any need/want for me so I don't really know what they are like anymore.
8494 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Imoutoland!
Online
Posted 5/8/16
I always thought the reason why so many conservatives are "sexist" is because they advocate for the freedom to be sexist. You know, states rights and all.
48490 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
F / ar away
Offline
Posted 5/8/16 , edited 5/8/16

PeripheralVisionary wrote:

I always thought the reason why so many conservatives are "sexist" is because they advocate for the freedom to be sexist. You know, states rights and all.
Well sexism is a derogatory term, even rednecks usually don't knowingly conduct themselves in a way that is sexist. Rather people conduct themselves in a way that is justified errantly or they simply ignore that thought process altogether.
15259 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
23 / M / UK
Offline
Posted 5/8/16


No pasties


Nice to see that Hawaiian strip joints culturally appropriating the county food of Cornwall.

Anyway

You are aware that doing what you want providing you don't hurt others is by no means an exclusively liberal position. The do no harm principle of John Stewart Mill may have liberal origins however; you can see the same basic thing under small government conservatism.

Strip joints can be found in both red and blue states, the only thing that changes are the accents, the number of teeth and the type of music playing.

However, there may be exceptions




Your title
9283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 5/8/16

Rinrinrinn wrote:

I don't understand why some people just cannot believe that there are women who choose to go into such industries of their own free will. The whole excuse of those women having no other choice is void in my opinion. Sure some of them are in circumstances where they have limited choices, but they are not completely helpless. The best "cure" would be to improve the variety of well-paying jobs easily available to women, not to remove that option for those who would choose to go into those industries.


Yeah this. I have spoken with serveral strippers whilst getting private lap dances and alot of them are clearly intelligent women who are very respectible and simply using what they have got and making a hell of a lot of money.
Clearly doing it by choice and clearly enjoying what they do.
They have told me how they are doing it to pay for their and/or their childrens education or to pay for a home loan or etc.
Closing these sorts of places is doing nothing but putting women out of the job. These women are (for the most part) doing it by choice and enjoy it.
It's the same with the feminist movment banning cheerleaders and show girls at the car races. All they're doing is putting women out of the job. And women earn REALLY good money doing this.
Plus us men enjoy it alot. is it so wrong to give us some enjoyment and have these young women being paid well?
Wont lie though, the high class strip clubs are very classy, there are the lower end ones that are clearly more trashy. Younger girls, girls that look more trashy and like druggies and etc.
Iam sure that in those sort of places some girls are doing it to pay for drug habits or maybe even being forced? Either way though, they are making money.

27595 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
51 / M / Inside the Anime...
Offline
Posted 5/8/16

JustineKo2 wrote:

I'm a liberal, and quite a hard core one at that. Before you click a different topic, I want to ask something about sexism and get some of your viewpoints regardless of your social ideology. When I lived in Hawaii in the 90's there were quite a few strip joints where completely naked young women would dance and strut in front of horny guys. No pasties, no see thru underwear, nothing. Now all those strip joints are all gone. Pacific rim states like Hawaii have moved ever leftward Is the disappearance of these strip joints a result of this ideological trend?

If they enact legislation with a typical feminist agenda, which is a liberal position, to free women from the bonds of the sex industry, cracking down on all-nude strip joints seems like a logical step. But where it might conflict with a fundamentally liberal perspective, is that people have the freedom to lead their lives however they choose as long as it doesn't hurt anybody. I guess it's more of a cure-the-cold-by treating-the-symptoms kind of thing, rather than getting to the root of the problem. You can take away the strip joints but it doesn't really encourage the empowerment of women as equals to men. It may help hinder the perception of women as sexual objects but there are still strip joints.

Perhaps a more thorough analysis of this question might be to examine what types of strip joints they have in Red states. Or getting an opinion of them from conservative minded folks.


It's interesting. What you are seeing is the hardening of ideology. This is how the parties and society in general evolve. As liberal stances become more and more absolute, they harden and eventually become a conservative perspective. In the name of freeing women from the sex industry, liberalism starts to look fundamentally like a conservative stance, because it becomes an absolute stance. Thou shalt not allow women to strip because its degrading. This stance now becomes conservative. You can't say anything about someones color or religion, this has now become speech control. When conservatives scream about their rights to speech and firearms, basically social freedom, they start taking on the mantle of liberalism. The cycle is about 70 years in length. It's been happening through the ages. When liberals gain power they become the established order thereby becoming entrenched and conservative. Conservatives lose power thereby become the underdog and demand social reform. Right now current liberal idealism is about to win over the existing entrenched conservative block. Which will cause disenfranchisement which leads to a flipping of positions. I find it fascinating. Each side eventually evolves into that which they fought. Example the Republican party was the humanitarian anti slavery block back in the 1800s. The Democrats were the KKK. It flipped in the 1920s~1940s. Now its flipping back. A lot of people worry about this right or that social issue. Relax, this is a perpetual cycle. The most productive times for a nation is when the amount of liberalism and conservatism is fairly equal with people easily voting amongst to two parties. Right now we are polarized because we are going through a period of flipping. It's going to cause friction. In about 20 years we should be ok.
33510 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
21 / M / U.S.A.
Offline
Posted 5/8/16

Rinrinrinn wrote:

I don't understand why some people just cannot believe that there are women who choose to go into such industries of their own free will.

Silly girl, it's obviously the patriarchy brainwashing them.
9283 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Australia
Offline
Posted 5/8/16 , edited 5/8/16

Steelmonk wrote:


It's interesting. What you are seeing is the hardening of ideology. This is how the parties and society in general evolve. As liberal stances become more and more absolute, they harden and eventually become a conservative perspective. In the name of freeing women from the sex industry, liberalism starts to look fundamentally like a conservative stance, because it becomes an absolute stance. Thou shalt not allow women to strip because its degrading. This stance now becomes conservative. You can't say anything about someones color or religion, this has now become speech control. When conservatives scream about their rights to speech and firearms, basically social freedom, they start taking on the mantle of liberalism. The cycle is about 70 years in length. It's been happening through the ages. When liberals gain power they become the established order thereby becoming entrenched and conservative. Conservatives lose power thereby become the underdog and demand social reform. Right now current liberal idealism is about to win over the existing entrenched conservative block. Which will cause disenfranchisement which leads to a flipping of positions. I find it fascinating. Each side eventually evolves into that which they fought. Example the Republican party was the humanitarian anti slavery block back in the 1800s. The Democrats were the KKK. It flipped in the 1920s~1940s. Now its flipping back. A lot of people worry about this right or that social issue. Relax, this is a perpetual cycle. The most productive times for a nation is when the amount of liberalism and conservatism is fairly equal with people easily voting amongst to two parties. Right now we are polarized because we are going through a period of flipping. It's going to cause friction. In about 20 years we should be ok[/B ].


Tell that to Europe. (may well be too late by then).
Sort of on topic, its funny how these parties in power that are trying so hard to make sure that nothing is offensive or degrading yet are aiding in the spread of Islam, which if comes to be of too much power will see women stripped of all their new earned freedom and rights.
Yet the feminists and lefties support and welcome it. Dose my head in.
27451 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
28 / M / USA! USA! USA!
Offline
Posted 5/8/16
I dunno about sexism and conservatives.


All I know is that the Left has a sexism problem when a man is a second-class citizen simply for being a man.
First  Prev  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next  Last
You must be logged in to post.