Post Reply How to handle yourself on a job interview?
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/10/16
Let me know if a thread like this one exist or not.
Thanks a bunches.

Job interviews are tough noodles. But I am sure most of you already knew that. So how do I prepare myself for an interview mentally and emotionally. I want to be less of a nervous wreck and more confident in myself. Plus it doesn't help that they asking such difficult question that I want to say "I don't know" to. But I can't do that for it's not good. I'll probably get another interview next week or the week afterwards depending on the place. After the interview, is it okay to wait a week later to see about your results on the interview? I really need to do better on my interviews because I really need to get a job. I'm still searching for employment but the interview is my main focus. Got any advice and tips for me

Enjoy!!!
427 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
20 / M / Hamilton, ON, Canada
Offline
Posted 5/10/16
Posted 5/10/16 , edited 5/10/16
Calm, attentive, enthusiastic, neatly groomed, etc. Is it ok to wait? If you have no choice but to, you have no choice, but you can put in other applications in the meantime and later turn those down if you get the job you want.

v this also ^^
2606 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
31 / M / Whale Island
Offline
Posted 5/10/16
Avoid negativity, keep eye contact of whom you speak with or to, smile and be yourself.

Ps Good luck !
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/10/16


I wouldn't say that.
21269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mississippi, U.S.
Offline
Posted 5/10/16 , edited 5/10/16
Preparation ahead of time is key!

There are a lot of sites out there with common interview questions ("Why do you want this job?" / "What are your strengths?" / "What are your weaknesses?" / "Tell us about yourself." / etc.) My suggestion is to become familiar with the basic questions and have an answer already prepared. You don't have to memorize or anything, but you should be able to respond to the most common questions easily. There are always going to be a few oddball questions so don't sweat those. Just answer to the best of your ability!

It goes without saying that you should know as much about the company and job as possible when you go into the interview. You will most likely be asked why you think you're a good fit for that particular job. If you're familiar with the job duties, you can highlight previous experience and/or education that will help you to handle those job duties and you can emphasize this. If you don't know anything about the job and the associated duties, you will seem unprepared and not serious.

Another very important piece of advice: Do your very best, but don't fret after it's over. It's so easy to lament over how you should have answered a question, or something you should have mentioned, or whatever. Prepare as thoroughly as you can (know your resume backward and forward, know the company, know the job and its requirements, know answers to the most common questions...and be friendly!), but after the interview is over it's over.

You can also find sites with questions you can ask the employer as well. I highly recommend this because it shows enthusiasm and interest on your part.

That's about all I can come up with beyond the obvious dress appropriately advice (sound advice by the way). Good luck!
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/10/16

Magical_Squirrel wrote:

Preparation ahead of time is key!

There are a lot of sites out there with common interview questions ("Why do you want this job?" / "What are your strengths?" / "What are your weaknesses?" / "Tell us about yourself." / etc.) My suggestion is to become familiar with the basic questions and have an answer already prepared. You don't have to memorize or anything, but you should be able to respond to the most common questions easily. There are always going to be a few oddball questions so don't sweat those. Just answer to the best of your ability!

It goes without saying that you should know as much about the company and job as possible when you go into the interview. You will most likely be asked why you think you're a good fit for that particular job. If you're familiar with the job duties, you can highlight previous experience and/or education that will help you to handle those job duties and you can emphasize this. If you don't know anything about the job and the associated duties, you will seem unprepared and not serious.

Another very important piece of advice: Do your very best, but don't fret after it's over. It's so easy to lament over how you should have answered a question, or something you should have mentioned, or whatever. Prepare as thoroughly as you can (know your resume backward and forward, know the company, know the job and its requirements, know answers to the most common questions...and be friendly!), but after the interview is over it's over.

You can also find sites with questions you can ask the employer as well. I highly recommend this because it shows enthusiasm and interest on your part.

That's about all I can come up with beyond the obvious dress appropriately advice (sound advice by the way). Good luck!


So just find a website that ask common questions that are asked during a job interview?
21269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mississippi, U.S.
Offline
Posted 5/10/16
Yup. It's as easy as Googling "Common interview questions". There are a ton of sites out there. Browse a few and get familiar with the questions.
42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/10/16

Magical_Squirrel wrote:

Yup. It's as easy as Googling "Common interview questions". There are a ton of sites out there. Browse a few and get familiar with the questions.


Thanks and you sound like my job coach which is a good thing.
21269 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
M / Mississippi, U.S.
Offline
Posted 5/10/16

qualeshia3 wrote:

Thanks and you sound like my job coach which is a good thing.

Glad to help! I've had quite a few interviews. It takes a little practice, and you'll probably always be nervous to start with but that passes (at least for me) after the first five minutes or so. After that you can really work on impressing them.

42489 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
25 / F / New Jersey, USA
Offline
Posted 5/10/16

Magical_Squirrel wrote:


qualeshia3 wrote:

Thanks and you sound like my job coach which is a good thing.

Glad to help! I've had quite a few interviews. It takes a little practice, and you'll probably always be nervous to start with but that passes (at least for me) after the first five minutes or so. After that you can really work on impressing them.



Thank you.
Dragon
58377 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
37 / M
Online
Posted 5/11/16 , edited 5/11/16
Bring a few extra copies of your resume - I can't count the number of times I've gone to an interview where they brought someone else in who hadn't read it yet, so having spares was really handy. I try to bring half a dozen, though only printed on normal paper, nothing special.

Bring pen, pencil and paper - preferably in a firm folio, where you can keep the spare resumes as well as write without a table if necessary. A small bag to put that in (and a bottle of water, maybe a candy bar in case the interview runs long and you weren't able to get lunch yet) is always a good idea, but don't put other personal items in there, since you might forget it by accident - don't want to leave your wallet at the interviewer's desk!

Remember that the interview is often more about personality and "clicking" with the team. They've already seen your resume, portfolio (if applicable), and have looked into you a bit. They're trying to find out if you're a fit for the team, so try to judge the feel of the room if you can. Joke if you feel it's appropriate. Interview questions are to see how you can think on your feet, and to get a feel for your thinking process. Use that time to get to know your interviewers and have fun with them if it seems like a company where that's a thing, or show your professionalism if that's more their style.

(And this is more of a general thing, but be willing to apply for a job you don't quite qualify for. Some companies will appreciate your ambition, some post higher requirements than they really need as a first-stage filter)
18926 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
46 / F / Reston, VA, USA
Offline
Posted 5/11/16
Just remember that every interview is good experience for interviewing even if you don't get the job. Interviews get easier with practice so it's good to go on them even if they are for jobs you might not want just to get used to the questions and situation.

Be sure to be clean, well groomed, and nicely dressed in a conservative fashion. Your first impression should impress - not shock the interviewer. Accessories like a tongue barbell that makes you lisp won't impress a boss who wants to hire you to answer the phone. They want their company represented by someone who will be easily understood, not asked to repeat everything. Smile, and shake hands. In fact, practice shaking hands so you don't leave a limp impression. It's a good talent to have and for some reason a lot of women never seem to master it and instead just hold out their hand and let the other person try to shake a limp noodle.

All the other advice I was going to suggest has already been mentioned by others.
Customer Support KWEH!
14119 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
32 / M / San Francisco
Offline
Posted 5/11/16 , edited 5/11/16
Be precise, calm, and effective. Honestly, just be you. When I interviewed for Crunchyroll, it didn't feel like an interview at all. When you are relaxed, it will feel like a regular conversation with friends.
22255 cr points
Send Message: Send PM GB Post
30 / M / WA State
Offline
Posted 5/15/16 , edited 5/15/16
I've never had issues with job interviews. The only job I didn't get that I was interviewed for was because I was only available x days and was moving soon.

As dumb as it sounds, just be yourself. I know thats easier said than done especially with how nerve racking interviews can be.But that is literally the best advice you can get.

Don't try to bullshit people. Dress appropriately; just because its a retail job or a waiter job (or whatever the job is) doesn't mean you come in with t-shirt and jeans. That is an immediate red flag. Doesn't matter what company.

Don't be afraid to ask questions about hours, pay, growth in the company, management. Stuff like that. Always ask if they have any questions about YOU and what is written in your application and/or resume.

When asked questions try not to give definitive answers. Always leave your answers open ended so they can ask you more questions. It also lets them know you're willing to learn.

Try to keep your speech consistent too. Saying word fillers like "um", "like" and "uh" are turn off to interviewers.

The general rule of thumb is wait about a week if they don't call you back. I know the last job I had it took forever for me to get hired on because the store manager was out for almost a month straight because of his wife having their first child, then he had a manager conference, then a death in his family.
You must be logged in to post.